Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:21 PM
wwjd.usa

Default Scripture that many Christians disobey

Matthew 23:9 KJV

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven."

I have many Christian friends. Most of my friends disobey Matthew 23:9. I'm just curious, do you all obey or disobey this verse. What I meant to say, is when you all communication with an earthly father, do you call your earthly fathers by his first name/last name, or call him "father"/"dad"?

Last edited by wwjd.usa; 09-19-2008 at 09:27 PM.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 09-20-2008, 08:51 AM

I call my Dad, "Dad", on occasion I would slip and call him "father" and immediately ask my "Heavenly Father" forgiveness for the human frailty, would this verse not have more relevant meaning though to Roman Catholicism, where people call a "man" father and ask him forgiveness of sins?

If you look at the surrounding verses Christ is talking about religious teachers

Matthew 23:5-10
5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,
6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,
7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.
8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

Last edited by peopleoftheway; 09-20-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:59 AM

I call my dad "Dad", but I don't believe this verse has anything to do with this. It is refering to instances such as mentioned above with Catholics.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:25 AM

I believe that the verses quoted have nothing to do with using "father" to refer to our earthly male parent. If that were so then we should also correct anyone who refers to us as "Mr. So-and-so" (see verse 10) because Mister is just a variation on "Master".

This passage is identifying the proper and improper relationships between individuals in connection with spiritual or cultural themes.

Examples:
- Catholic priests are improperly called "Father".
- Pastors are improperly called "Reverend".
Old 09-20-2008, 10:42 AM

Im Glad this was brought up, wonderful how some scripture only jumps out at you when you read it many times over. Seems I was worrying over calling my dad father on occasion and there was no need really to ask forgiveness for the context of the verse is religious teachers of the day and of this age.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:06 PM
wwjd.usa

I read Matthew 12:50,

"For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother."

and Matthew 12:50 does go along with what you all are saying. So you are correct about this topic.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:09 PM
wwjd.usa

Default For Brother Tim ONLY

Hey Brother Tim. Could you find me some reference of where you found that "mister" or "Mr." stands for "master"
Old 09-22-2008, 07:55 PM

http://www.answers.com/topic/mr is one location.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:22 PM
wwjd.usa

Thanks Brother Tim