Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:15 PM

Default How long is the Day of the Lord?

In reading all of the verses that mention the "day of the Lord" or "that day" it appears the "day of the Lord" encompasses the 7 year tribulation period, the judgment of nations, the 1,000 year reign of Christ and finally the creating of the new heavens and earth.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-18-2009, 01:37 AM

I think the day of the Lord is what it says, a day. This day will come at the end of the Tribulation and will be very violent.

Howl ye; for the day of the LORD is at hand; it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty. Therefore shall all hands be faint, and every man's heart shall melt: And they shall be afraid: pangs and sorrows shall take hold of them; they shall be in pain as a woman that travaileth: they shall be amazed one at another; their faces shall be as flames. Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it. For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light: the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine. And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible. (Isaiah 13:6-11 KJV)

The sword of the LORD is filled with blood, it is made fat with fatness, and with the blood of lambs and goats, with the fat of the kidneys of rams: for the LORD hath a sacrifice in Bozrah, and a great slaughter in the land of Idumea. (Isaiah 34:6 KJV)

Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious in his apparel, travelling in the greatness of his strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save. Wherefore art thou red in thine apparel, and thy garments like him that treadeth in the winefat? I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment. For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come. And I looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me. And I will tread down the people in mine anger, and make them drunk in my fury, and I will bring down their strength to the earth. (Isaiah 63:1-6 KJV)

Now, forgive me if I'm mistaken here, but I think these are all the same event. I think God comes down on Petra (Edom) to rescue the remnant there waiting for Him. This is the beginning of the great and dreadful day of the Lord.

But feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 02-18-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKG View Post
In reading all of the verses that mention the "day of the Lord" or "that day" it appears the "day of the Lord" encompasses the 7 year tribulation period, the judgment of nations, the 1,000 year reign of Christ and finally the creating of the new heavens and earth.
This is an interesting topic. There are verses in scripture where the context of the "day of the Lord" are both the Tribulation and the melting of the elements & new heavens and earth. It looks like it's a time period that could well last for 1000 or so years.

The Tribulation:

Malachi 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: 6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

Elements melting, new heavens & earth:

2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. 11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Christian View Post
This is an interesting topic. There are verses in scripture where the context of the "day of the Lord" are both the Tribulation and the melting of the elements & new heavens and earth. It looks like it's a time period that could well last for 1000 or so years.

The Tribulation:

Malachi 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: 6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

Elements melting, new heavens & earth:

2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. 11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
But to me, as I read Isaiah, it seems like the day is just that, a day. What follows is what follows, and isn't "the day". The day just seems to indicate that it's the day the Lord comes to officially begin judgement, and most of the bloody part happens in one day. But I am interested in hearing more on this from you Kiwi.

Peace and Love,
Stephen

EDIT: oh and that passage you posted doesn't seem to fit entirely (not to justify a 1,000 year day of the Lord that is). To me Peter is just telling us not to consider the Lord to be taking His time since time passes differently in the Lord's eyes. Therefore, when the day of the Lord comes (even if it takes a 1,000 years+ till that time) it will happen in a day. I'll think on this more when it's not 3am.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:41 PM

Another interesting study is to look at the verses that talk about "that day". Here are a few:

Alas! for that day is great, so that none is like it: it is even the time of Jacob's trouble, but he shall be saved out of it. Jeremiah 30:7

For in my jealousy and in the fire of my wrath have I spoken, Surely in that day there shall be a great shaking in the land of Israel; Ezekiel 38:19

And it shall come to pass in that day, that the mountains shall drop down new wine, and the hills shall flow with milk, and all the rivers of Judah shall flow with waters, and a fountain shall come forth out of the house of the LORD, and shall water the valley of Shittim. Joel 3:18

And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord GOD, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day: Amos 8:9

In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old: Amos 9:11

That day is a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness, Zephaniah 1:15

And many nations shall be joined to the LORD in that day, and shall be my people: and I will dwell in the midst of thee, and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto thee. Zechariah 2:11

And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it. Zechariah 12:3

In that day shall the LORD defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David shall be as God, as the angel of the LORD before them. Zechariah 12:8

And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem Zechariah 12:9

In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness. Zechariah 13:1
And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the LORD of hosts, that I will cut off the names of the idols out of the land, and they shall no more be remembered: and also I will cause the prophets and the unclean spirit to pass out of the land. Zechariah 13:2
And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south. Zechariah 14:4
And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be. Zechariah 14:8

And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one. Zechariah 14:9

In that day shall there be upon the bells of the horses, HOLINESS UNTO THE LORD; and the pots in the LORD's house shall be like the bowls before the altar. Yea, every pot in Jerusalem and in Judah shall be holiness unto the LORD of hosts: and all they that sacrifice shall come and take of them, and seethe therein: and in that day there shall be no more the Canaanite in the house of the LORD of hosts. Zechariah 14:19-20
Old 02-19-2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
But to me, as I read Isaiah, it seems like the day is just that, a day. What follows is what follows, and isn't "the day". The day just seems to indicate that it's the day the Lord comes to officially begin judgement, and most of the bloody part happens in one day. But I am interested in hearing more on this from you Kiwi.

Peace and Love,
Stephen

EDIT: oh and that passage you posted doesn't seem to fit entirely (not to justify a 1,000 year day of the Lord that is). To me Peter is just telling us not to consider the Lord to be taking His time since time passes differently in the Lord's eyes. Therefore, when the day of the Lord comes (even if it takes a 1,000 years+ till that time) it will happen in a day. I'll think on this more when it's not 3am.
I think the "day of the Lord" is a prophetic day and not a 24 hour day. The context of 2 Peter 3:8-13 is prophecy, verse 8 being key.

There is a 1000 year period coming soon to this earth which is called a "rest" in Isaiah, for God and for the earth:

Isaiah 11:10 And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.

Isaiah 14:7 The whole earth is at rest, and is quiet: they break forth into singing. 8 Yea, the fir trees rejoice at thee, and the cedars of Lebanon, saying, Since thou art laid down, no feller is come up against us.

It is a sabbath rest for God, the 7th "day" (7th millennium) of human history. So far, man has had close to 6000 years (6 days) of work since Adam was placed in the garden, the day of the Lord will encompass the millennial reign of the Prince of Peace, who will usher in a great time of rest for Himself and His people.

Hebrews 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. 6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: 7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. 8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:54 AM

the seven year week comes from a man (i forgot his name) who studied out the times in Daniel and discovered that there is still Seven years left for God to deal with the Judgement on Israel from the 70 years or weeks proclaimed against Israel before they can return to the Land of which only 69 weeks have been so far completed. we line that up with the Great Tribulation for God again deals solely with Israel,it's chastisement is called the 70th week. one year for each day of the week.

Here are some verses to study

The Day of God
2Pe 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? {hasting...: or, hasting the coming}
Re 16:14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, [which] go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.

The day of the LORD and Lord
Isa 2:12 For the day of the LORD of hosts [shall be] upon every [one that is] proud and lofty, and upon every [one that is] lifted up; and he shall be brought low:
Isa 13:6 ¶ Howl ye; for the day of the LORD [is] at hand; it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty.
Isa 13:9 Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.
Isa 34:8 For [it is] the day of the LORD'S vengeance, [and] the year of recompences for the controversy of Zion.
Jer 46:10 For this [is] the day of the Lord GOD of hosts, a day of vengeance, that he may avenge him of his adversaries: and the sword shall devour, and it shall be satiate and made drunk with their blood: for the Lord GOD of hosts hath a sacrifice in the north country by the river Euphrates.
La 2:22 Thou hast called as in a solemn day my terrors round about, so that in the day of the LORD'S anger none escaped nor remained: those that I have swaddled and brought up hath mine enemy consumed.
Eze 13:5 Ye have not gone up into the gaps, neither made up the hedge for the house of Israel to stand in the battle in the day of the LORD. {gaps: or, breaches} {made...: Heb. hedged the hedge}
Eze 30:3 For the day [is] near, even the day of the LORD [is] near, a cloudy day; it shall be the time of the heathen.
Joe 1:15 Alas for the day! for the day of the LORD [is] at hand, and as a destruction from the Almighty shall it come.
Joe 2:1 ¶ Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the LORD cometh, for [it is] nigh at hand; {trumpet: or, cornet}
Joe 2:11 And the LORD shall utter his voice before his army: for his camp [is] very great: for [he is] strong that executeth his word: for the day of the LORD [is] great and very terrible; and who can abide it?
Joe 2:31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come.
Joe 3:14 Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision: for the day of the LORD [is] near in the valley of decision. {decision: or, concision, or, threshing}
Am 5:18 Woe unto you that desire the day of the LORD! to what end [is] it for you? the day of the LORD [is] darkness, and not light.
Am 5:20 [Shall] not the day of the LORD [be] darkness, and not light? even very dark, and no brightness in it?
Ob 1:15 For the day of the LORD [is] near upon all the heathen: as thou hast done, it shall be done unto thee: thy reward shall return upon thine own head.
Zep 1:7 ¶ Hold thy peace at the presence of the Lord GOD: for the day of the LORD [is] at hand: for the LORD hath prepared a sacrifice, he hath bid his guests. {bid: Heb. sanctified, or, prepared}
Zep 1:8 And it shall come to pass in the day of the LORD'S sacrifice, that I will punish the princes, and the king's children, and all such as are clothed with strange apparel. {punish: Heb. visit upon}
Zep 1:14 ¶ The great day of the LORD [is] near, [it is] near, and hasteth greatly, [even] the voice of the day of the LORD: the mighty man shall cry there bitterly.
Zep 1:18 Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them in the day of the LORD'S wrath; but the whole land shall be devoured by the fire of his jealousy: for he shall make even a speedy riddance of all them that dwell in the land.
Zep 2:2 Before the decree bring forth, [before] the day pass as the chaff, before the fierce anger of the LORD come upon you, before the day of the LORD'S anger come upon you.
Zep 2:3 Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD'S anger.
Zec 14:1 ¶ Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.
Mal 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:
Ac 2:20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:
1Co 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
2Co 1:14 As also ye have acknowledged us in part, that we are your rejoicing, even as ye also [are] ours in the day of the Lord Jesus.
1Th 5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

The day of wrath
Job 21:30 That the wicked is reserved to the day of destruction? they shall be brought forth to the day of wrath. {wrath: Heb. wraths}
Pr 11:4 ¶ Riches profit not in the day of wrath: but righteousness delivereth from death.
Zep 1:15 That day [is] a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness,
Ro 2:5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

The day of Trouble
2Ki 19:3 And they said unto him, Thus saith Hezekiah, This day [is] a day of trouble, and of rebuke, and blasphemy: for the children are come to the birth, and [there is] not strength to bring forth. {blasphemy: or, provocation}
Ps 20:1 ¶ <<To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.>> The LORD hear thee in the day of trouble; the name of the God of Jacob defend thee; {defend...: Heb. set thee on an high place}
Ps 50:15 And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.
Isa 22:5 For [it is] a day of trouble, and of treading down, and of perplexity by the Lord GOD of hosts in the valley of vision, breaking down the walls, and of crying to the mountains.
Isa 37:3 And they said unto him, Thus saith Hezekiah, This day [is] a day of trouble, and of rebuke, and of blasphemy: for the children are come to the birth, and [there is] not strength to bring forth. {blasphemy: or, provocation}
Jer 51:2 And will send unto Babylon fanners, that shall fan her, and shall empty her land: for in the day of trouble they shall be against her round about.
Eze 7:7 The morning is come unto thee, O thou that dwellest in the land: the time is come, the day of trouble [is] near, and not the sounding again of the mountains. {sounding...: or, echo}
Na 1:7 The LORD [is] good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him. {strong hold: or, strength}
Hab 3:16 ¶ When I heard, my belly trembled; my lips quivered at the voice: rottenness entered into my bones, and I trembled in myself, that I might rest in the day of trouble: when he cometh up unto the people, he will invade them with his troops. {invade...: or, cut them in pieces}
Zep 1:15 That day [is] a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness,

The Great day
Zep 1:14 ¶ The great day of the LORD [is] near, [it is] near, and hasteth greatly, [even] the voice of the day of the LORD: the mighty man shall cry there bitterly.
Jude 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. {first estate: or, principality}
Re 6:17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?
Re 16:14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, [which] go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.

The Lord’s day
Re 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

That day
Mt 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mt 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
Mt 26:29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

the day of visitation
Isa 10:3 And what will ye do in the day of visitation, and in the desolation [which] shall come from far? to whom will ye flee for help? and where will ye leave your glory?
1Pe 2:12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by [your] good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation. {whereas: or, wherein}

the day of judgment
Mt 10:15 Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
Mt 11:22 But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
Mt 11:24 But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee.
Mt 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
Mr 6:11 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city. {and: Gr. or}
2Pe 2:9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
2Pe 3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
1Jo 4:17 ¶ Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. {our love: Gr. love with us}

A day is as a thousand years
2Pe 3:8 ¶ But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

And of course we all know about the 24 hour day we call it today. But the Hebrew recorded that a day started at Night, it was a night and a day,so a day is only 12 hours respectfully

in conclusion, you would have to first clarify which Day you are speaking of, then you can see that some days you will have no determination of time but only that it has come.

Last edited by chette777; 02-19-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
the seven year week comes from a man (i forgot his name) who studied out the times in Daniel and discovered that there is still Seven years left for God to deal with the Judgement on Israel from the 70 years or weeks proclaimed against Israel before they can return to the Land of which only 69 weeks have been so far completed. we line that up with the Great Tribulation for God again deals solely with Israel,it's chastisement is called the 70th week. one year for each day of the week.

http://www.fbinstitute.com/Anderson/toc.html
Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 AM

yep that him Sir Robert Anderson
Old 02-25-2009, 03:48 AM

after reading those scriptures we can learn that there is a Day of tthe wrath of the Lord which last seven years, and Day of Lord (great white Throne Judgement) which may last only 45 minutes, there is a day of the Lord which is eternal, there is a day that is 24 hours, there is a day of 12 hours of daylight.

So the understanding of what a day or day of the Lord would depend on the Context of the Scripture.