Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKG View Post
This book of the Bible tells us
Jesus is superior to the Angels (Hebrews 1)
Jesus is superior to Moses (Hebrews 3)
Jesus is superior to the law (Hebrews 7:19)
Jesus offered a better testament than the old (Hebrews 7:22)
Jesus mediated “a better covenant, which was established upon better promises” (Hebrews 8:6)
Jesus offered a better sacrifice than that of the Levitical priesthood (Hebrews 10:11-12)
Jesus, a priest after the order of Melchisedec, is superior to the Levitical priesthood (Hebrews 7)
so it is appropriately named Hebrews.
The book of Hebrews was originally written to keep Jewish believers from the pressure to abandon the Christian faith and go back under the law. It is an excellent witnessing tool now for the Jews, plus if the Jews, who are God’s chosen people, are convinced of their need of Jesus, how much more do the Gentiles need to hear the message so there is application for us. It will be an especially important book to the Jews who are saved during the tribulation when the temple is rebuilt and sacrifices are re-instated.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-14-2009, 11:32 AM

Chette,

Thanks for all your good info and thoughts, as usual. The seven churches thing was an eye opener for me. Something's always bothered me about Jesus' words to the seven churches. They definitely didn't line up very well with saved by grace through faith alone.

Jen
Old 07-14-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKG View Post
The book of Hebrews was originally written to keep Jewish believers from the pressure to abandon the Christian faith and go back under the law. It is an excellent witnessing tool now for the Jews, plus if the Jews, who are God’s chosen people, are convinced of their need of Jesus, how much more do the Gentiles need to hear the message so there is application for us. It will be an especially important book to the Jews who are saved during the tribulation when the temple is rebuilt and sacrifices are re-instated.
CKG,
Thanks for sharing your perspective which I completely agree with.
Quote:
It will be an especially important book to the Jews who are saved during the tribulation when the temple is rebuilt and sacrifices are re-instated.
Yes, that's a good point. Much of the history of the church it has appropriated the whole 66 books as written primarily to itself and for itself. I also believe that Hebrews forward is written to tribulation saints not our current dispensation. (The seven churches was something I had never thought about before as not being for the church age.)
Old 07-14-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripdood View Post
Sister Greenbear,

The two men mentioned on the article Ernest L. Martin, Ph.D. and David Sielaff, are connected with an organization called the Worldwide Church of God. They are not as active these days as they used to be. But back in the 1980s they were classified as a cult by mainstream denominations. Herbert w. Armstrong was the founder. They were very good at twisting the facts of the Word of God and making it look very scholarly to accomplish their purposes. They were and are in favor of the new per-versions, because the wording in those works of satan make it easy to prove their unscriptural beliefs. They are still around but not as large or well organized as they once were.

I tried witnessing to one of their members once it was an excercise in chasing word definitions. The same terms we use are defined differently in their beliefs. I planted the seed I am not sure how well it took, I never saw the fellow again.
Brother Ripdood,

Thanks for the info about the WWCG connection. It makes perfect sense why this author(s) is looking to place the general epistles before the pauline epistles and make Hebrews all about the gentile church and Paul's gospel of grace by faith alone. So they can support their post- trib position and their salvation by works phony baloney.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:34 PM

Folk, if the titles of the books (and chapter & verse divisions) are inspired, they would have existed from the beginning, which they do not. Secondly, there could be no debate (if titles are inspired) as to the WRITER (not author) of Hebrews because (most) KJBs have Paul's name in the title.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:37 PM

There are other books of the Bible in which the WRITER is not identified. Examples: 1 Samuel - 2 Chronicles.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
Folk, if the titles of the books (and chapter & verse divisions) are inspired, they would have existed from the beginning, which they do not. Secondly, there could be no debate (if titles are inspired) as to the WRITER (not author) of Hebrews because (most) KJBs have Paul's name in the title.
Ok, under that logic let's examine.

If the books of the Bible are inspired then they would of existed from the Beginning, which they do not.

Each book was written under inspiration at a certain time, as each title, chapter and verse was inspired at a certain time. (but I wont be dogmatic with it).

My opinion is if you begin to doubt the KJV in even the smallest area of Preserved inspiration you will begin to doubt other areas of the KJV.

so then we agree not one book of the KJV Bible is without the identification of who the Author is. 65 books have the Author ID'd in the writing itself, while only Hebrews has it ID in the Title. but some of us see certain scriptures in Hebrews that point to Paul.

Like I said the important point is why God chose not to personally ID Paul as the Author under inspiration?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
My opinion is if you begin to doubt the KJV in even the smallest area of Preserved inspiration you will begin to doubt other areas of the KJV.
When one understands where the line of inspiration is clearly drawn,that is, with the words of Scripture themselves, then doubt does not enter the picture.

Quote:
Ok, under that logic let's examine.

If the books of the Bible are inspired then they would of existed from the Beginning, which they do not.
Chette, you are doing yourself what you have previously (and falsely) accused me of, twisting my words.

"the beginning" NOT "the Beginning" was my wording. I was referring to the time of the original manuscript of each book and their Divinely preserved copies, NOT the beginning of time/creation. The titles, verse numbers, and chapter numbers showed up far later than the original writings. They are not inspired as the Scriptures are.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:05 PM

The Holy Ghost is the Author of all 66 books.
Quote:
65 books have the Author ID'd in the writing itself
We cannot be certain who wrote Hebrews any more than we can be certain who wrote Ruth. God did not deem it important for us to know in either circumstance.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:23 PM

no what I did was replace the word "Bible" with the word "Title". Twisting words is where I make your words say something other than what was meant. I kept your meaning just superimposed the words to show the logic of your statement when applied to the whole not just a part. the capitalization of beginning was a typo I hadn't realized I did that.

Each book in it's time was inspired, each Title in its time was inspired, each chapter number and line and punctuation was inspired and preserved the complete and whole word of God in its time until it's completion for our day.

If Ruth is without indication of Author then again the importance is why. Technically the Holy Ghost authored nothing He inspired and moved. 2Pete 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost. 2Tim 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: Gods thoughts on certain subjects were written (authored) by men over a 1400 year period of time by as many as 40 men without ever losing it's fluidity and conjunction to the rest of the books.

I don't remember having falsely accused you twisting my words.

Last edited by chette777; 07-14-2009 at 07:33 PM.