General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:31 PM

Default Morbid focus on hell

What do you all think of preachers or christians that have a morbid fascination with hell?

I found this site last night..

www.eternalhell.net

To me, it's a sick way to present the gospel. Not to mention you can't actually find the gospel on that page, or any subsequent pages (you can find a ton of links to Ray Comfort's stuff, as well as things like "Real Christians keep the commandments of God".

It reminds me of a time in church when I was looking through some sword of the Lord booklets for something to read about eternal security. A lady came up and picked up one on hell and said "wow, this oughta be good", but not in a sarcastic way, but in a real excited about hell kind of way.

I've done my fair share of preaching about hell, and I am not against preaching about hell, but I hear this all the time

"I don't like preaching about hell, but Jesus preached more about hell than heaven so bless God I will do too". Rascals. They love preaching about hell. The thought of hell excites them.

But looking at that site and the images on it, it's morbid and evil for a Christian to focus on such things.

Also, the link for "A Loving God" does not work. As far as I can tell, it's the only link on the site that is broken.. a telling sign.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-22-2009, 07:30 AM

Luke

All I can say is that I am glad some preachers preach on hell, that is how I got saved. I was invited to attend church by a neighbor when I was 11 years old. That day the preacher preached about sin and hell, and you know, even as a young boy I realized I was a sinner and in real danger. I was terrified. Then the preacher told how Jesus died for me, taking my sins upon himself, and how he rose from the dead 3 days later. At the end of the service he asked if anyone knew they were a sinner and wanted to receive Jesus and have their sins washed away. This was a large Baptist church with hundreds of people in attendance. I was just a shy boy among strangers. But you know, I didn't care, I was not going to go another second without knowing Jesus as my saviour. I almost ran down to the front, no joke. And then they showed me from the Bible that I was a sinner, and that Jesus died for me and I could pray and call upon Jesus to save me. And I prayed right then and there, and I meant it with all my heart. And Jesus did save me that day. So I am thankful for that preacher who preached on hell that day, that was what I needed.

Jude 1:23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

You know, people are different. Some respond to the love and mercy of God, that is all they need to bring them to Jesus. But some people need a good dose of fear to bring them to Jesus. I guess I was one of those.