Current Events Current events, including politics and culture.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:59 PM

PB1789 & Chaplainles

I thank you both for the encouraging words. One of my biggest problems is that I worry about tomorrow (Even though Jesus said I shouldn't). I re-enlisted back in November so now I don't get out until 2012. It's not serving these next four years that worries me it's what I'm going to do when that time is up. I'm getting better though about my worrying with the Lord's help. I like witnessing to the people I come in contact with. It does hurt when they reject Jesus but I enjoy witnessing to them. What I'm struggling with now is my future assingment. This summer I'm going to Drill Instructor school. As many know, Marine Corps Drill Instructors are some really rough people. I'm trying to figure out if I should still continue on in this assingment. I have the option of not going with out any bad marks on my record. I'm trying to figure out how I would really reach the recruits if I'm constantly yelling, fussing, and correcting them. Fussing and yelling it's a part of the job and there's no way around it. When I was in boot camp my drill instructors were great at their job but there morals weren't in the right place. They constantly taught degrading stuff to the recruits. As a recruit you feared the drill instructors and I'm just wondering how can people see Christ in me if they fear me and I'm constantly yelling and screaming at them?

I have no problem being in the Marine Corps. God has kept His hand on me throught my career. I just want to make sure I'm not demending on the Marine Corps to supply my needs but I'm leaning and trusting in the Lord to do these things. Any encouraging words or advice would be greatly appreciated.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-19-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiwnz View Post
PB1789 & Chaplainles

This summer I'm going to Drill Instructor school. As many know, Marine Corps Drill Instructors are some really rough people. I'm trying to figure out if I should still continue on in this assingment.
I have 2 cousins that are Christians that are former Marine Drill Instructors. I can't tell you how they were at work. They had to turn young men into warriors. They had to be tough and teach fear and obedience. You know the reasons why better than I do.

When I got to meet them I was amazed at their faith. This is extended family and not a lot of them are saved. They were very vocal about it with their other relatives.

Hearing the stories they would tell about work you could see the "steel under the velvet". You KNEW they were different at work. They couldn't "go easy or be a friend." They did their jobs well, but they did stand out as different from the other DIs.

Of course this was over 15 years ago so... Today/your milage may vary...I don't know just how they did it, but they made it work... Prayers for you and your family.

ETA:
Quote:
I like witnessing to the people I come in contact with. It does hurt when they reject Jesus but I enjoy witnessing to them.
Just because they don't get saved right then and there doesn't mean a seed isn't planted at that point to grow and come to fruit down the road...
Old 05-20-2008, 02:39 AM
fundy

Quote:
PB1789 & Chaplainles

I thank you both for the encouraging words. One of my biggest problems is that I worry about tomorrow (Even though Jesus said I shouldn't). I re-enlisted back in November so now I don't get out until 2012. It's not serving these next four years that worries me it's what I'm going to do when that time is up. I'm getting better though about my worrying with the Lord's help. I like witnessing to the people I come in contact with. It does hurt when they reject Jesus but I enjoy witnessing to them. What I'm struggling with now is my future assingment. This summer I'm going to Drill Instructor school. As many know, Marine Corps Drill Instructors are some really rough people. I'm trying to figure out if I should still continue on in this assingment. I have the option of not going with out any bad marks on my record. I'm trying to figure out how I would really reach the recruits if I'm constantly yelling, fussing, and correcting them. Fussing and yelling it's a part of the job and there's no way around it. When I was in boot camp my drill instructors were great at their job but there morals weren't in the right place. They constantly taught degrading stuff to the recruits. As a recruit you feared the drill instructors and I'm just wondering how can people see Christ in me if they fear me and I'm constantly yelling and screaming at them?

I have no problem being in the Marine Corps. God has kept His hand on me throught my career. I just want to make sure I'm not demending on the Marine Corps to supply my needs but I'm leaning and trusting in the Lord to do these things. Any encouraging words or advice would be greatly appreciated.

For what its worth, I would say go and become a drill instructor.

I joined the army in 1980 and spent my 18th birthday in basic training. Even today, I can remember the names, faces and personalities of my Platoon Lieutenant, Platoon Sergeant and section corporals.

The impact and influence that you will have on the young men under you WILL stay with them for their whole lives.

Imagine being able to teach these young Marines the qualities of loyalty, resilliance, toughness and all the things that go into making a soldier as well as showing them that being a Christian does not detract from these qualities.

Popular culture has cultivated the image of Christians as being lilly livered wimps...you will proof to these young men that that is a false portrayal.

Go for it.

fundy
Old 05-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Beth

Quote:
PB1789 & Chaplainles

I say go for it as well and I thank you for your service to our country.

We have a young man, (Brian) in our church that will be home for 2 weeks. He is also in the Marines. It's really tough on his wife April with him gone.

Please pray for both April and Brian. We pray for both of them at every service as well as all of our service men and chaplains. Amen!!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:41 PM

Toiwnz:--- Hello again. A word of caution to you,,,from the words of a song by Lynn Anderson..." Better look before you leap---Still water runs deep---and there won't always be someone there to pull you out..."

You said that you had a young family,right? Drill Instuctor Duty is somedays 24 hours. Each night one of the D.I.'s pulls "The Duty" and has to spend the night in the Squad Bay with the Recruits. My Platoon (2049) had 4 D.I.s, but most have 3...(unless things have changed-?) , which means every third (or 4th) night you'll not be at home. Check with your wife and explain this to her and your child. It's better to communicate with her and get some dialogue/chit-chat/thoughts.

Another thing: Some D.I.s (and several Policemen) have been known to "bring-the-job-home",,,in other words: They forget that their children are NOT Recruits, and that their wife is to be treated as "the weaker vessel", and loved. Don't make the family dread the idea that Dad is coming home in 15 minutes...(IMO---)

As a prior service Marine---who noticed that many Marine marriages did not last ...I'd suggest that you stay with your Primary MOS and learn every aspect of it, so that if asked by the unit's Master Gunny or your CWO you can and will teach the newbies that report in to your Duty Station. Take the M.C.I. mail courses and learn another MOS that is in a related field. This way you can be a good example to the non-believers, and be so valuable to the Unit's OIC and NCOIC that they keep you there, and your wife and offspring will see you more often, and you can more regularly attend church services.

Hope this helps you.