General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 AM

Default John Phillips commentaries

I'm thinking about getting John Phillips' commentaries. Some friends have recommended them. I was wondering if any of you have used his commentaries and what your thoughts are on them. Are they worth having?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-28-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Rodriguez View Post
I'm thinking about getting John Phillips' commentaries. Some friends have recommended them. I was wondering if any of you have used his commentaries and what your thoughts are on them. Are they worth having?
I'm not sure I ever heard of him Manny. That rings a bell as I seem to remember his name from an E-Sword module user page. I'll check and see.

Grace and peace brother

Tony
Old 05-28-2009, 01:38 PM

I have a brother-in-law whose name is John Phillips. He is a CPA...

If he ever wrote a commentary, it would probably be too taxing to read...

Old 05-28-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Rodriguez View Post
The only John Philip I can think of is John Philip Sousa, an American composer who wrote the "Star Spangled Banner" - and other famous marching music. Hmmmm, I don't think he wrote any Bible commentaries. LOL

Funniness aside, I don't depend on commentaries, because I believe we can be so swayed into various differing doctrinal camps that depart from biblical truth. I try to remain focused on the Word of God (KJV Bible) and let the Holy Spirit put the wisdom and understanding in me, rather than human commentators. That's just my humble opinion.

Jassy
Old 05-28-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
The only John Philip I can think of is John Philip Sousa, an American composer who wrote the "Star Spangled Banner" - and other famous marching music. Hmmmm, I don't think he wrote any Bible commentaries. LOL

Funniness aside, I don't depend on commentaries, because I believe we can be so swayed into various differing doctrinal camps that depart from biblical truth. I try to remain focused on the Word of God (KJV Bible) and let the Holy Spirit put the wisdom and understanding in me, rather than human commentators. That's just my humble opinion.

Jassy
That sounds like a double standard to me, Jassy. Why ask for help w/ those atheists? Are you not gaining commentary from us? Is your pastor not expounding and expositing Scripture (hopefully)? That could be considered Bible commentary. Why not allow others who have spent much time in study to teach you? Of course not as a basis for every belief you have or make.

Now I will grant you that people can lean way too much on commentaries w/out studying and original thinking. But I see nothing wrong w/ consulting after you have wrestled with a text to see if you are out in left field or thinking similarly with others. Also, there are times where you are just not gonna find the answer yourself. This is true many times w/ historical cultural matters. So a commentary can add much to the historical context of a passage. So I wouldn't write commentaries off right off.

Back to the OP... are you looking to know the theological position in the commentary or perhaps the level and depth of exegesis?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greektim View Post
Back to the OP... are you looking to know the theological position in the commentary or perhaps the level and depth of exegesis?
I'm looking for any input you might have to offer. The theological position and your opinion as to the level and depth of exegesis would both be helpful.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:56 AM

Default Re: "John Phillips commentaries"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post

Jassy

Aloha sister Jassy,

You can safely disregard GREEKTim's "advise" in this matter (and on any other Biblical issues for that matter ). Stick with your belief, for today there are so many "FALSE TEACHERS" out there that you are far better off ignoring all of the commentators rather than have to "sift" through the all of the LEAVEN.

You may not get to "know' everything there is to KNOW "about" the Bible, but you will "know" everything that God wants you to KNOW - without worrying about some man's "private opinion" influencing your judgment!

Your judgment is Scripturally sound, for in spite of what "GREEKTim" says - THE TRUTH STILL REMAINS:

1 Corinthians 5:6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

Galatians 5:9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 PM

So are you saying she should ignore her pastor when he comments on the text of Scripture; after all "you are far better off ignoring all of the commentators"?