Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post
Yes, I agree that we should certainly love the brethren. The Bible is very clear on that.

However, I am still not convinced that God "loves" the wicked, at least not in the way we think of love.

Psalm 11:5 The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.
6 Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
7 For the righteous LORD loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright.

If the Lord loveth righteousness, then He would hate unrighteousness. In this same passage it says He hates the wicked. There are so many more verses that state the Lord abhors, hates, laughs at the wicked etc...

Proverbs 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Consider what Matthew Henry says:

“He is a holy God, and therefore HATES THEM (the sinner), and cannot endure to look upon them; the wicked, and him that loveth violence, HIS SOUL HATETH... Their pros-perity is far from being an evidence of God’s love...their abuse of it does certainly make them objects of HIS HATRED. He hates nothing that He has made, yet HATES THOSE who have ill-made themselves.”

I know you all are not ignorant to these passages. But I am wary of passing over this Scripture and excusing it away dispensationally.

Again, just some thoughts. I am not coming down dogmatically on either side...not yet anyway
Greetings Sister Amanda. My answer on post #8 was an answer for your specific question:

Quote:
You wrote: I recently posted a status on my FaceBook that Mahatma Ghandi is actually the one that is quoted as saying "Hate the sin, love the sinner" to which several responded that it was a godly attitude to have...

Is there Scripture that supports this specifically?
I answered yes there is and gave scripture as to why I believe that.

Concerning this question:

Quote:
You wrote: If so, how does one reconcile this "godly attitude" with Psalm 5:5?
"The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity."
The Bible is crystal clear.

Psalms 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

The foolish shall not stand in His sight and He hatest all workers of iniquity. I don't know what there is to understand here. The Bible says what it means and means what it says.

But the Bible is also very clear that God loves sinners. He loves me and I am a sinner. Remember, every thought, every word, and every deed is judged by a Holy, pure, righteous, and perfect all knowing, all powerful, ever present God. So what hope is there for this wretched life? Jesus Christ! Keep this in mind, those of us who are now in Christ and still commit acts of sin (and we do), will stand before God only because:

2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Concerning Psalms 11:5-7:

Psalms 11:5-7 The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth. Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup. For the righteous LORD loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright.

The Bible is once again very clear. "The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth. Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup. For the righteous LORD loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright."

But here comes Jesus Christ again. How can we still commit sin and still stand before a righteous and Holy God? How can God love me when the Bible says he hates a proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, an heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, a false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren?

Jesus Christ, that's how. I am righteous in Him! Not I but Christ!