Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 PM
ok.book.guy

Brother Brandon, thank you very much.

Paladin54, Fundy makes a good point. Are you taking Spanish? If so, recall the personal pronouns: 2nd person sigular is "Te". In english, 2nd person singular is "Thee". Removing "Thee" from the english bible is like removing "Te" everywhere it appears in the Spanish bible. No one uses "THee" today. But its still there grammatically and carries meaning with it that is lost by simply saying "You". Same with Ye. As Fundy points out: "Ye" is 2nd person plural pronoun. Again, if you remove "Ye" and "Thee" and replace both of them with "You", the scriptural distinctions between singular and plural is lost.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-05-2008, 05:53 PM
dixiemama

I hear ya! It is amazing how many 'Christians' are so uniformed of the new preversions of the Bible. KJV has a fifth grade reading level and so many say its too hard to understand.
They rather be spoon fed by paraphrases.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:33 AM
timothy

Not only uninformed, but unwilling to see that there are omissions. "Oh look it's in there see, riht between the brackets." or "It's in the footnotes, right next to the phrase not included in some manuscripts." And what's so hard to understand? That some things are wrong? Like stealing? That all liars shall have their part in the Lake of Fire? That man shouldn't be lying with mankind as with womankind? That Jesus is the only way to God, not through man or religion?

What?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Brother Mike

Paladin54

You are to be commended for taking a stance as you have. God's blessing to you and I will keep you in my prayers.

Just a side note. My daughters are in private Baptist school. My oldest was reading a passage recently in Science class. Her teacher asked her if she enjoyed reading the KJV, she said she did. His reply was that he believed churches ahould not use the King James. That really floored me.

Needless to say, it is a Baptist school, but not IFB, unfortunetly.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:19 AM
dixiemama

Being a Baptist used to mean you had and read the KJV. Now unless you go to a IFB church everyone even the pastor has their own opinion and fav version other than KJV. Its as if you are a rare bird and slow if you use a KJV!
1Timothy 4:1
Old 02-06-2008, 11:48 AM
ok.book.guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemama View Post
Being a Baptist used to mean you had and read the KJV. Now unless you go to a IFB church everyone even the pastor has their own opinion and fav version other than KJV. Its as if you are a rare bird and slow if you use a KJV!
1Timothy 4:1
Right! And today they take the stand that there are only translations and these are the work of man and as such none of them (including KJV/AV) are infallible. That's the way it was with my last church. So I left there (years ago) and threw in with an IFB church! Have been very happy since.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Forum Administrator

Even "IFB" is no guarantee. Since churches are ecclesiastically independent, the only way to find out is to ask or visit. I've visited churches that were independent, Baptist, and "fundamental" with preaching that still didn't treat the Bible as the final word. (If the Bible version issue wasn't such a problem in fundamental baptist churches, Bro. Sorenson wouldn't have had to write his book Touch Not The Unclean Thing.) And there is also the problem of pastoral abuse that is more prevalent in IFB churches than many others -- exchanging one false authority for another doesn't help much. Little pains me more than believers who believe the KJV is God's word only because their pastor says so -- and when a new pastor comes in a teaching something different, suddenly they don't believe it any more (seen this happen, too).

One church we had to leave even stated in its statement of faith that the "pastor is the head of the church." Those words exactly. Using the KJV ain't the same as believing it! (Eph 1:22; 5:23; Col 1:18)
Old 02-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Brother Mike

Yes to all who noted this. It is a sad fact that even churches that call themselves IFB are far from what they should be.

And BTW. I did not really mean the school directly being IFB, but the associated church that the school belongs to.

And, I probably should quantify my thinking of IFB, since I will be on this board and may use the term again. I consider myself to be IFB, Independent Fundanmental Baptist. I believe my church to be an IFB church, because:

We are:

KJV Bible BELIEVERS
KJV BIble TEACHERS
KJV Bible PREACHERS
Local, autonomous
The Bible is our FINAL AUTHORITY in all things
The head of our church is Jesus Christ Himself
Believers that the KJV is the preserved Word of God in the english language.
Baptism by immersion and The Lord's Supper are the only two ordinances observed by our church

Anyway, I hope this tells a bit of where I am coming from and a bit more about me. It is a shame that we need to quantify these days what we mean by, Baptist or IFB. Used to be the word Baptist said it all.

God bless all.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:04 PM
jerry

Praise the Lord that there still are Independant Fundamental Baptist churches that do live up to their names!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:31 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union

Until five minutes ago, I had never heard of IFB, my school (adjacent to my church) is Southern Baptist, and as soon as I graduate, I may start looking at other churches. Anybody here know of a Fundamental database?

Thank you for all your priceless input and prayers.

I may post more questions here, soon.