Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:27 PM

While I agree that we should be careful in our condemnation of anyone with a "addiction" problem - I see the problem as a "weakness in a person's character - not a "Disease". And as far as Christians that are "bedeviled" by this problem are concerned, they must look to the Lord and trust in Him to "overcome" this weakness.

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

IS ALCHOLISM A DISEASE?

1. If it is a disease, it is the only “disease” that is contracted by an act of will.

2. It is the only “disease” that is habit forming.

3. It is the only “disease” that requires a license to
propagate
it.

4. It is the only “disease” that is bottled and sold.

5. It is the only “disease” that requires outlets and stores to spread it.

6. It is the only “disease” that produces revenue for the government.

7. It is the only “disease” that is spread by advertising.

8. It is the only “disease” for which people are fined for contracting.

9. It is the only “disease” that destroys marriages and families.

10. It is the only “disease” that provokes violence and crime.

11. It is the only “disease” that brings death on the highways.

12. It is the only “disease” without a germ or virus cause, and for which there is no preventive or corrective medicine.

Isaiah 5:11 Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!

Proverbs 23:29 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?
30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.
31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

Last edited by George; 05-20-2008 at 08:40 PM.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-20-2008, 08:32 PM

While I agree that we should be careful in our condemnation of anyone with a "addiction" problem - I see the problem as a "weakness in a person's character - not a "Disease". And as far as Christians that are "bedeviled" by this problem are concerned, they must look to the Lord and trust in Him to "overcome" this weakness.

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

IS DRUG ADDICTION A DISEASE?

1. If it is a disease, it is the only “disease” that is contracted by an act of will.

2. It is the only “disease” that is addictive or habit forming.

3. It is the only “disease” that is illegal to sell or propagate.

4. It is the only “disease” that is manufactured and sold.

5.It is the only “disease” that requires “pushers to spread it.

6. It is the only “disease” that produces revenue for its “dealers” .

7. It is the only “disease” that is spread by word of mouth.

8. It is the only “disease” for which people are fined or imprisoned for contracting.

9. It is the only “disease” that destroys marriages and families.

10. It is the only “disease” that provokes violence and crime.

11. It is the only “disease” that brings death on the highways.

12. It is the only “disease” without a germ or virus cause, and for which there is no preventive or corrective medicine.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:01 AM

How can it be called a disease, when it is self inflicted?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:05 PM

I agree with what you said there Bro. George, well all have predilections in the flesh and I have noted that some folks are predisposed to certain things. In every mans parlence 'it's what rings your bell' to which I would add and the devil holds the bell rope...
I agree to say 'addictions' are diseases is a slippery slope that fits well with this Laodicean Age, whereas carnal christians used to cry 'the devil made me do it' it's now 'it's my genes'

I have a theory as to why 1. Our forefathers dealt with this problems better than we do because a) They had ONE Bible and believed and practised it! b)As a result they had a closer walk with God than we do. c) Preachers did not fail to Preach the Whole Counsel of God..

Thats why I believe Reformers Unanimous has such success, it has a demanding Bible reading programme as it's basis.
John 8:32 'Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free'
Old 05-21-2008, 05:00 PM

Very good 12 reasons addictions are NOT a disease. Actually, it is a genetic disorder passed on to us. The disorder is calle SIN.
A great verse to remember(I Cor 10:13)!

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned

Folks will insist we can "cure" addictions with futile humanistic efforts. Addictions are a ball and chain, but hardly a disease. There is only One who can set us free.

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

I know.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debau View Post
Very good 12 reasons addictions are NOT a disease. Actually, it is a genetic disorder passed on to us. The disorder is called SIN.
A great verse to remember(I Corinthians 10:13)!

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned

Folks will insist we can "cure" addictions with futile humanistic efforts. Addictions are a ball and chain, but hardly a disease. There is only One who can set us free.

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

I know.
Excellent Brother!

Quote:
Very good 12 reasons addictions are NOT a disease. Actually, it is a genetic disorder passed on to us. The disorder is called SIN.
By now you might have "noticed", that I am not very "funny"! But, I greatly appreciate those who have a "sense of humor". (As a matter of fact, I'm just a bit envious).