General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaplainles View Post
This is a difficult one to call and I support Bro.Brandons desire for folks to come and ask questions. Despite the 'antics' of some there are genuine people out there who are using modern per-versions who have sincere questions, where do they go to get answers?
Thank you, brother, for your comments.

This is part of what I said in my very first post on the forum:

Quote:
I intend to moderate as lightly as possible. The basic rule is to not be obnoxious or abusive. People won't be banned and posts won't be deleted just because someone (including me) disagrees. My hope is that this forum will serve as a place where people can get good answers to their questions and engage in discussions that will help build faith in God and his word.
The last sentence really sums up the reason for av1611.com in general.

What I would like to see is people asking questions they need answers to, and I am going to continue to strive to make this a place where that can happen.

I don't mind debates at all. There are two things that are bothering me right now as things stand:

1. (This is relatively minor.) Too many threads get hijacked and turned into battles over personalities.

2. And this is the bigger issue: There are some people here who are not interested in getting questions answered, but think they are here to teach us dumb KJV-only nitwits (I'm pretty sure that word's even been used) a lesson or two. They seem to think none of us have done any research and they are going to put us in our place.

#2 is the real problem, and will completely overshadow the main goal here, which in the end must be edification.

I am a firm believer in "useful idiots" as a teaching tool -- which is one reason why I desire to moderate very lightly. But there has to be a balance. I suppose working out that balance is what I'm trying to do now -- and is why I am soliciting feedback.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-17-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Well as a 'newbie' here myself I find the forum real good and there are some good folks here, unlike some of the others I have seen...

This is a difficult one to call and I support Bro.Brandons desire for folks to come and ask questions. Despite the 'antics' of some there are genuine people out there who are using modern per-versions who have sincere questions, where do they go to get answers?

I think any one showing up who wishes to cause trouble are soon identified and then can be dealt with... I do get concerned as I have seen it many times that a MVer gets flamed when in reality they have not been informed of the truth. What happens is someone 'struts' their knowledge and a would be potential Bible Believer is lost.. but thats IMHO..
evry blessing
Ditto brother - with one caveat: PERSONAL INSULTS. I believe when a "newbie" joins, if they can not refrain from personally "insulting" those of us who are already here that they should be "bounced" - no second chances!

I believe that this rule alone would eliminate 80%-90% of the "trouble makers".
Old 05-17-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post

2. And this is the bigger issue: There are some people here who are not interested in getting questions answered, but think they are here to teach us dumb KJV-only nitwits (I'm pretty sure that word's even been used) a lesson or two. They seem to think none of us have done any research and they are going to put us in our place.
Right on the money.

Maybe some sort of "statement of faith" in regards to the Book, but more directed at their purpose for joining? Something mild that may run off the real nitwits.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Forum Administrator

FYI: the Posting Guidelines on the FAQ have been updated.

http://av1611.com/forums/faq.php
Old 05-19-2008, 06:07 AM

That'll work.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Beth

Quote:
Well as a 'newbie' here myself I find the forum real good and there are some good folks here, unlike some of the others I have seen...

I think any one showing up who wishes to cause trouble are soon identified and then can be dealt with... I do get concerned as I have seen it many times that a MVer gets flamed when in reality they have not been informed of the truth. What happens is someone 'struts' their knowledge and a would be potential Bible Believer is lost.. but thats IMHO..
evry blessing
I agree as usual with you chaplainles! I will just add that there is a lot of bickering going on between fellow KJVO's. a lot of division as well. We have the KJVO, we have the pure KJVO, we have the TR only and of course we have the pristine KJV edition issue..... When I first came to this site I wasn't thinking at all of all these divisions. I thought we were all KJVO's. We are already in the minority, (that's ok, because the narrow way is always in the minority). I just would like to see us work together respectfully. I think we should be able to disagree respectfully with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. If we don't turn this around, we will push more people away from the KJB, those that are truly seeking the best Bible.

When I first started studying this issue, I was at the time reading the ESV. I'm sure in my ignorance I was asking questions and pointing out things that I thought to know to be true while I was seeking answers that would have been considered offensive to a pure KJVO. I had in particular two brothers in Christ that were very patient with me and all of my questions and I can say with all honesty that they never dealt with me in a condescending way, no matter how dumb my correspondence was. and I was quite leery of the KJVO stand at the time. I thought I had already figured this out and had gone from the NIV, to the NASB to the ESV. I finally went off on my own to study the issue. Well, everything they had tried to teach me was true. I had bought my first KJB and I was sure to let them know that they had won me over with their balance of truth and love. These same two brothers also won me out of my Calvinism delusion in the same way. I will always be grateful to them in the way they were vessels for God to help me out.

I think we judge too quickly re: the troublemakers. If we think someone is personally attacking even if a newbie, let's turn the other cheek and address their disagreement politely. If that person continues to be rude then deal with them. I believe if we are the bigger person there is a great chance the other poster will turn it around and they may even begin to understand our point of view??? It happens, believe me, it happened to me personally.

If someone has been rude in the past, lets leave that in the past and address them politely, especially when we can see that they have turned it around. If it appears someone is truly seeking the truth lets just address with facts and not in a way that puts them down. Let's always assume good intentions until it is evident otherwise.

RE: moderating, I believe it would be a good idea to bring in a moderator that is fair and balanced and can keep their cool and not take things personally. It's always good to have a few moderators even three that can look at things from different perspectives. Overall they must be like-minded, that is true. Not that they will agree on every issue, but you know what I mean. They need to deal with insulting behavior without returning like kind behavior. This is hard to do, but I have seen it done. When I first came to this site, I figured Jerry must be an un-named moderator. I thought he did a great job moderating and keeping his cool most of the time. He is also very knowledgable. Of course I now realize that he was not a moderator. This is just for an example, but if he were willing to come back that would be great.

I understand a forum must be going for quite awhile in order to determine the right moderators for the job. It takes a long term history to see if the person can meet the high standards that one sets. It's not an easy task, but makes for a well run forum where many can have fellowship and edification. We should all be patient while the bugs are worked out.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)
Really applies to the some of the overzealous folks.

Last edited by Gord; 05-19-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Brother Mike

One thing we really need to watch out for is the haughty attitude that just because someone is new on this forum, they are immediately assumed not to know anything.

Brandon, this is your board, run it as you see fit and those that take away some value will remain, those that do not, will not.

I have always been a firm believer in that if anything (a forum, a society) is not a place where you can belong and follow it's rules, it's vision, it's direction, then go someplace else.

We need less people here to defend our KJ Bibles to and more looking to learn about God's word. Continuously defending to the same arguments again and again, takes time away from those seeking the truth. Which, of course, is Satan's plan.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Really applies to the some of the overzealous folks.
Quote:
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)
Given my example above.... I guess I could of kept my mouth shut to keep from looking like a fool, but then I would have not learned the truth re: God's Holy Word.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:46 AM

Beth, I think we all know that is for the 'argumentative my way only' overly zealous then the inquisitively overzealous. Certainly not directed at you. That is the difference I believe Brandon is trying to get a handle of control on.

Last edited by Gord; 05-19-2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling