Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:45 AM
Born Crucified

From an article entitled "Red wine not recommended for cancer prevention, says Cancer Research UK" found at cancerresearchuk.org published on July 9, 2008:

Quote:
Henry Scowcroft said: "From the point of view of cancer prevention, there is no such thing as 'good alcohol'. Overwhelming evidence suggests that, even in moderate amounts, alcohol increases the risk of several cancers including breast cancer.

"It is possible that resveratrol, on its own, may one day be developed into a cancer preventing drug, but any beneficial effects it has in red wine are most likely completely outweighed by the alcohol."
It may interest the reader to know that resveratrol is found in the grape prior to fermentation. The alcohol is not needed for the benefits of the juice. Alcohol is a toxin and was never meant to be the recreational drink that so may advocate

Last edited by Born Crucified; 10-11-2008 at 03:09 AM.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-11-2008, 06:04 AM

I did not say the Bible does not teach against drinking. what I said was the Bible does not call drinking a sin. Drunkeness is said to be a sin. please don't put words in people mouths, and don't try too say I advocate drinking because of that statement either.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Born Crucified

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
I did not say the Bible does not teach against drinking. what I said was the Bible does not call drinking a sin. Drunkeness is said to be a sin. please don't put words in people mouths, and don't try too say I advocate drinking because of that statement either.
Is not disobedience sin? God commands "Look thou not.. when it..." To disobey God certainly is sin.

Quote:
Jeremiah 3:13 Only acknowledge thine iniquity, that thou hast transgressed against the LORD thy God, and hast scattered thy ways to the strangers under every green tree, and ye have not obeyed my voice, saith the LORD.
God calls disobedience iniquity.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:13 PM

you go to wine makers pages on the web and when you do you see pictures of wine in glasses so don't tell me about not looking upon it while it is in the glass my friend. when your eyes have beheld it on these sites. you have looked at in the stores and your see it every day. so don't be so legalistic with your views.

you are not as righteous as you think. and what will your righteousness of obdeince to "look thou not.. (which by the way is found where? I did a search of the KJV and these three words are not found in it as you quote them the verse is "Look not thou") add to God anyway.

by changing the word arraingement you an change the meaning. you say it is a commandment but it is instructions. things that are different are not the same.

good day
Old 10-11-2008, 06:16 PM

Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. (Proverbs 23:31)

At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. (Proverbs 23:32)

There ya go, Chette!
Old 10-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Born Crucified

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
you go to wine makers pages on the web and when you do you see pictures of wine in glasses so don't tell me about not looking upon it while it is in the glass my friend. when your eyes have beheld it on these sites. you have looked at in the stores and your see it every day. so don't be so legalistic with your views.

you are not as righteous as you think. and what will your righteousness of obdeince to "look thou not.. which by the way is found where? I did a search of the KJV and these three words are not found in it as you quote them. add to God anyway.
Look thou not in Proverbs 23 is speaking of looking at the wine to desire it. There is nothing in that poison that attracts me to drink it and disobey God.

Look up the phrase 'Look not'. It has more than just a meaning of look. It also means 'do not experience.' One cannot have experience with alcohol without first disobeying God's command first. It means 'do not consider'. Don't even consider disobeying God by drinking it.

Why not just admit that God's Word clearly tells us it is forbidden for us to drink alcoholic beverage?

As to my righteousness, it is nothing but filthy rags. That is why I had to put on the Lord Jesus Christ. I had to be clothed in His righteousness. It is because of Jesus Christ and His Holy Word that I am made righteous.

His Word commands "Look thou not." I do not look at things to lust after them. I do not desire to do that which is commanded by Him I am not to do. I do not approve of alcohol... another meaning of "Look not" in that verse. I do not make it appear to be enjoyable to others because Scripture clearly tells us it is poison and to abstain from it.

To be disobedient is to incur God's wrath. I will not do such.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:29 PM

Good Dayyyyyy!
Old 10-12-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Born Crucified;9419]Look thou not is in Proverbs 23:31. A clear command to abstinence.
I couldn't find it in Swordsearcher because it is "look not thou".

Thanks,
Renee
Old 10-12-2008, 06:31 AM
Born Crucified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
I couldn't find it in Swordsearcher because it is "look not thou".

Thanks,
Renee
Look thou not, look not thou.... says the same thing. We are to abstain from alcoholic wines.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:23 PM

"Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." (1 Corinthians 6:10-12)

All things are lawful for us, but not all things are good to do.

We should allow people to read the word of God, and let the power of the Holy Spirit convict them of their need to forego certain habits. We should not expect that once someone gets saved that they immediately will go out and get a haircut, stop drinking and smoking, and get totally 'right' with God. Sometimes the changes take time.

Let me give you an example:

When I got saved, I was as green as the next babe in Christ. I started going to a local Presbyterian church, and enjoyed the fellowship.

However, due to the conviction of the Holy Spirit, I eventually moved on to a Baptist church, where I could be baptised by immersion, and where I would be fed by the word of God, in the Authorized Version.

The first service I attended was a Wednesday night prayer service. I showed up in a nice blouse and slacks, as I'd dressed in numerous other churches. I noted, immediately, that all the women there were wearing either skirts or dresses. HOWEVER, not one person said one word to me about my choice of clothing, but the Holy Spirit made it very clear to me that I needed to wear more 'womanly' clothing. I started wearing skirts.

Now I wear skirts, exclusively, and only own one pair of jeans for yard work, if necessary.

It did not take someone preaching to me about dressing like a harlot, or someone chastising me over my slacks, it only took a willingness to please the Lord, and to obey the leading of the Holy Spirit to effect a change.

So, all the preaching against wine that seems to be going on here isn't going to make any difference, unless someone is willing to listen to the Holy Spirit, not someone preaching to them on the internet.