Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Levite-7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Guys,

While we on the topic of Christmas, shall we talk about Christmas trees anyone?

Quote:
Jeremiah 10:2-4

2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

Atlas

hi~

exactly ~ but wait, there's more to it.

--

from Jeremiah, CHAP. X. 10:1 - 5 (akjv 1611)

10:1 Heare ye the word which the Lord speaketh vnto you, O house of Israel. 2 Thus sayeth the Lord, Learne not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signes of heaven, for the heathen are dismayed at them. 3 For the +customes of the people are vaine : for one cutteth a tree out of the forrest (the worke of the handes of the workman) with the axe. 4 They decke it with silver and with golde, they fasten it with nayles, and with hammers that it moove not. 5 They are vpright as the palm tree, *but speake not : they must needes bee *borne, because they cannot goe : be not afraid of them,for*they cannot doe evil, neither also is it in them to doe good.

--

of a truth, biblical support is above ALL & the LORD in heaven is the final say in the matter - now ask yourselves, do you recognize this custom & when is it practiced in present day? from this, what does that say of they that practice this tradition, knowing that the LORD commanded it not?

many thanks, Atlas ~ the LORD in heaven bless & keep you.

~levite-7
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-07-2008, 02:39 PM

Levite,

I thought your whole tribe was lost?

The Jews were forbidden from having tress with gold, silver an other such things on them. This is plain and simple my friend.

Atlas
Old 10-07-2008, 03:25 PM

From Logos Resource Pages.org

* THE CHRISTMAS TREE

An early Roman ritual was to exchange green tree branches on January 1. They believed this would bring them good luck.

The Scandinavian people once worshipped evergreen trees. They believed godlike spirits inhabited them so people brought trees into their homes to please the spirits and seek their blessing. When the Gospel of Christ reached the Scandinavian people they made the evergreen tree part of their Christian Festivals.

The Old Testament prophet Jeremiah also mentions ancient pagans making idols out of trees and worshipping them. in Jeremiah 10:3-5. This is a reference to Asherah poles, not the "Christmas" tree.

But how did the "Christmas Tree" get to where it is today? Germans are responsible for bringing the Christmas tree to the New World. The German theologian and reformer Martin Luther (1483-1546) was perhaps the one who popularized the "Christmas Tree" as we know it. The tale goes . . . One clear, brisk Christmas Eve, Martin Luther was walking home under the starstudded sky. It was so wonderful. As he walked he tried to think how he could catch the beauty of that eve and bring it home to his children. Suddenly he thought of a large evergreen tree gleaming with candles. He proceeded to find a tree, cut it down and take it home to decorate it. His children were delighted.

Hence we have the beginnings of our modern day "Christmas Tree" with all the trimmings.

As interesting and beautiful as Christmas Trees are, they are NOT the reason Christmas is important!
Don't abandon Christmas & don't be overcome with the evils of its abuse, rather overcome the evils with good (Romans 12:21). Look at Christmas as an opportunity to EXALT CHRIST. I am reminded of Paul's letter to the Roman believers dealing with "special days --Romans 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

It is not the day that is important, nor the customs that are observed. What IS IMPORTANT is revealed in the next verse, He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it...Romans 14:6 If we are going to celebrate Christmas, we are to celebrate it in a Christ honoring way! This is what has happened much of the time concerning Christmas. When the Gospel of Christ reached pagan people they "Christianized" their traditions and redirected them to point to Christ. I do not necessarily agree with the reemphasis in some cases but I do know Christ is to be lifted up, magnified & exalted. Today we need to do the same...PUT CHRIST IN FIRST PLACE. Make HIM preeminent. because HE IS WHAT MAKES CHRISTMAS IMPORTANT.

http://www.logosresourcepages.org/Ho...HE%20CHRISTMAS
Old 10-07-2008, 03:57 PM

Sister Linda,

That's a neat story. Personally, we love the aroma that feels the house, sitting around looking at the lights as we enjoy good Christian music, and sipping on some coffee while eating a piece of Grandma's pumpkin pie!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Sister Linda,

That's a neat story. Personally, we love the aroma that feels the house, sitting around looking at the lights as we enjoy good Christian music, and sipping on some coffee while eating a piece of Grandma's pumpkin pie!
Amen! Save me a piece of that pumpkin pie!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Guys,

While we on the topic of Christmas, shall we talk about Christmas trees anyone?

Atlas
I think you are pokin fun at me.

I was never shown those scriptures before,they are interesting,didn't know there was that much to it.

Yeah!Pumpkin Pie! I am an avid Tea drinker. Oolong,english breakfast,darjeeling,Chocolate and hazelnut,good stuff. Hot tea on a cold day.
Tea drinkers drive Hot Rods too.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:26 PM

Amen Linda! We celebrate Christmas and have a Christmas tree. I see nothing wrong with it, as we don't worship any pagan gods, or the tree. We celebrate Christ coming to this wicked world to die for our sins!
Old 10-08-2008, 03:33 PM

Jeremy,

I'm not making fun of anyone buddy. I also have a tree every year. If I were a Jew in the O.T. there would be no tree for me. That would be 100% wrong.

The Christmas tree Issue is always fun to bring up, I have seen a few get real mad over this and it's kind of funny. They start defending their Christmas tree and get real upset with me very fast. People sure love those Christmas trees.

Quote:

Jer. 10 1-4

1 Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:

2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not
Verse 1 is key to see who is told not to do this.

" O house of Israel " says it all my friend.

Atlas
Old 10-08-2008, 04:40 PM

On a lighter note: What about a Channukah bush? Growing up in a Reform Jewish home, we celebrated Channukah...but were still wanting to get into the Christmas spirit, so we had a Channukah bush..or a Jewish Christmas tree!
Old 10-08-2008, 08:35 PM

Wait a minute, its October folks. The Christmas/Santa/Tree thread is not suppose to start until the day after Thanksgiving. For October we have the Halloween/Fall Costume Festival @ Churches thread scheduled.

As to Coffee vs Tea. We drink both in this house. Coffee in early part of the day and tea in the latter part.

Coffee = vigor and vim
Tea = soothing and calm

Both are warming on a cold day/night. Both are equally good over ice. Sweet Tea is VERY popular around these parts.

Okay, back to the thread in progress.