Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:18 PM

Default The Word of God

I fully understand that there is nothing "new" under the sun. You've all heard it before. And I know that their are many of you who possess more knowledge of the Scriptures than I do. I've benefited from your various comments.

As a source of encouragement and bible study, I wanted to share some things I wrote concerning the Word of God. I realize some of you do not need the encouragement to do so, but please feel free to correct or comment on anything I've written you do not agree with. I'm not standing on a mountaintop while I pound my breastplate in final triumph. I believe the King James Bible to be the preserved written word of God.

THE WORD IS PERFECT

There are some important truths in the written Word of God we should all believe. First and foremost, we should all recognize that the Holy Bible is mistake free and is a living message from the living God. If we fail to accept the absolute accuracy and dogma of Scripture, we will rapidly drift into the unstable world of subjective truth. The Word of God is both inerrant (free from error) and infallible (incapable of error).

The Holy Bible is the inspired written Word of God.

“We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts; knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost” (2 Peter 1:19–21).

Holy men of God (men that were called by God and separated from the world system) spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. The Spirit led, brought forth, and produced the very words that God intended for them to record. God thought, said, and provided His Word. The Word of God is reliable, inerrant, inspired, and perfect.

We should not only accept the inspiration of God’s Word (that every Word is God-breathed), but also the preservation of His Word. God has preserved His Word.

“The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O Lord, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever” (Psalm 12:6–7).

“For ever, O Lord, thy word is settled in heaven” (Psalm 119:89).

“Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away” (Matthew 24:35; Mark 13:31; Luke 21:33).

“The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever” (Isaiah 40:8).

How can we ever proclaim and teach the true meaning of Scripture without first believing God has preserved every Word?

If you do not believe God has preserved His Word—every Word—then you view Biblical truth as mere subjective truth. But if you believe God has preserved His perfect Word, then the Biblical truth I’ve shared in this book is unconditional and final.

THE WORD EXAMINES

The inspired and preserved Word of God probes deep and discerns the attitudes, thoughts, and even the intentions of our heart.

“For the word of God is quick [alive], and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart” (Hebrew 4:12).

As believers we cannot avoid the sharp shears of God’s Word. The Word of God not only discerns our thoughts, but the very intentions of our heart as well. Our conscience is pruned by the Holy Spirit operating in and through the Word of God.

THE WORD CLEANSES

We should also know the Word has cleansing efficacy. The word "purgeth" means to cleanse from the filth or impurity that comes by sin. Jesus said,

“Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you” (John 15:3).

Every person needs to be purged by His Word. Clean (katharos) means to clean or purify in a spiritual sense from the pollution and guilt of sin. In John 15:3, Jesus is saying to us that by His spoken Word we are clean or pure spiritually from the pollution and guilt of sin.

King David understood the cleansing power of God’s Word. He asked,

“Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? [and then answered] by taking heed thereto according to thy word” (Psalm 119:9).

We are not cleansed through religious ceremonialism. Keeping symbolic sacraments does not cleanse us from sin. Devotion to a particular ritual does not make spiritual appeasement or please God. If we want to know the absolutes of right and wrong and if we want to abolish the defilement that sin brings, we’ll find the answer in Holy Scripture.

THE WORD EQUIPS

God’s complete Word prunes and purges us with doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness.

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works” (2 Timothy 3:16–17).

Doctrine is the act or manner of teaching authoritative instruction. This word also has the meaning of warning. God’s Word charts a protected course for our lives that directs us to a fruitful life.

The Word is profitable for reproof which brings personal conviction that leads to correction of error. This word also means a proving or testing. We all know that in our current court system, an accused criminal must be proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt before he can be convicted of a crime.

Unfortunately, mankind does not always get it right, but you can be assured God does. As the great discerner and examiner of man’s heart, God’s Word accurately proves our guilt and leaves no doubt to our sins and trespasses. We’ve each violated God’s divine standard as set forth in Holy Scripture. The Word reproves or convicts us of sin.

In addition, the word reproof is used in the sense of refuting an adversary. False doctrine never withstands the reproof of God’s living and powerful Word. God’s Word protects us from the disease of false teaching. It’s alarming and troubling to me to hear of churches today that no longer use the Holy Scripture as the final Word of authority.

The Word is also profitable for our correction. Correction means to set right again, to set straight, or correct. It means to be restored to an upright standing, referring to the improvement of ones life or character.

I’ve read that in some countries, the husbandman or vinedresser will actually plant his vineyard on the side of a hill among the rocks. The rocks serve as a trellis. The vinedresser must be attentive because sometimes the branch will fall between the rocks into the dark crevasse or down into the dirt. The attentive vinedresser will lift the branch, clean it up, and place it back on the rock. This allows the branch to absorb the life-giving rays of sun.

In like manner, we need God’s correction when we fall into the dark and dirty crevasse of sin. At times, we each need to be placed back on the trellis of Truth so we can soak up the Son and bear fruit. Jesus is that Rock! “And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ” (1 Corinthians 10:4).

And finally, the Word is profitable for instruction in righteousness. Instruction literally refers to the whole training and education of children. It relates to the cultivation of their mind and morals. It speaks of correcting mistakes and curbing passions. This word also includes the idea of chastisement or chastening as a means of instruction. Righteousness refers to integrity, virtue, and purity of life, rightness, correctness of our thinking, feeling, and acting. How should we act? How should we think and feel? The holy standards of good behavior are chronicled in the pages of the Bible.

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works” (2 Timothy 3:16–17).

WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE?

There are certain core doctrines we should have a basic understanding of. I realize that we will not always agree on the interpretation or even the application of certain Scriptures, but here are some basic and foundational truths found in the Bible. What you believe has eternal consequences.

As we’ve already seen, the Words of both the Old and New Testaments are inspired and preserved by God and are the supreme and final authority in faith and life (2 Timothy 3:16–17, Psalm 12:6–7). This is always the starting point. We refer to it as “God’s Word” for a reason.

Another key doctrine is that there is only one true God, eternally existing in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19; John 14:16–17, 23; 1 John 5:7). This doctrine is referred to as the Trinity of God.

One more crucial fact is that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit, born of a virgin named Mary, and was true man and true God (Luke 1:26–35; Colossians 1:13–19). We cannot truly be saved without receiving this truth.

The first man, Adam, was created in the image of God; but as a mortal man possessed a free will and chose to sin, thereby setting into motion the guarantee of death. Christians believe that in Adam we all die both physically and spiritually (Romans 3:10, 23; 5:14; 6:23).

The Bible also teaches that the Lord Jesus Christ died for the sins of the whole world, for all men, and for every sinner as a substitutionary sacrifice, thus satisfying the just demands of God against sin. All who believe and receive Him are justified and cleansed on the basis of His shed blood (2 Corinthians 5:14–15; 1 Timothy 2:3–6; Hebrews 2:9; 1 John 2:2).

Christians also believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord Jesus, His ascension into heaven, and His present life there for us as High Priest and Advocate (Hebrews 4:14–16; 1 John 2:1).

Christians believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved, and the everlasting punishment of the lost (1 Thessalonians 4:13–18; Revelation 20:11–15).

And finally, Christians believe in the spiritual unity of all true believers in the Lord Jesus Christ (John 17:21–23).

Of course, you are not forced to believe any of these truths. Thousands do not believe what God clearly says in His Word. That does not alter its credibility or viability one iota. Truth has never depended on humankind’s opinion or understanding. If you reject Christ, you will experience everlasting punishment (Revelation 20:11–15). If you receive Christ you will enjoy everlasting blessedness (1 Thessalonians 4:13–18).

Do not be deceived by the counsel of the lost person. Often, the unsaved persons of the world attempt to discredit or annul the message of Scripture by finding fault with the messenger. That’s very easy to do, isn’t it?

Perhaps your personal confidence and belief in God’s Word has waned as a result of a minister’s failure. It goes without saying that there should be holiness and propriety among all Christians—especially those who stand behind the pulpit and proclaim God’s Word. But my point is that if God’s truth depended on the sinless perfection of the messenger, no one would ever be qualified to speak or share God’s Word.

“As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:” (Romans 3:10).

“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;” (Romans 3:23).

Remember what James wrote.

“For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all” (James 2:10).

If you want to argue about the credibility of God‘s Word, take it up with God—He wrote it!

Another worldly philosophy is that the only persons who are qualified to teach God’s Word are those who have obtained some form of “higher” education. I’ve heard people ask: “What qualifies you to teach the Bible?” A stack of degrees does not necessarily qualify someone to proclaim the Written Word of God. What does the Scripture say?

“But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things” (1 John 2:20).

“But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him” (1 John 2:27).

The Scripture is not suggesting men don’t teach, but rather, that we don’t need man’s teachings. The Holy Spirit equips every true believer with spiritual understanding by teaching us the Word of God.

In saying that, I am fully aware that some give very little thought to studying and actually meditating on the Word of God. As a result, many individuals hastily form opinions and doctrines based on their personal whims. This irresponsible behavior is not only wrong, but also dangerous. It is misleading and causes division. We should all be vigilant in waiting for clear insight and understanding from the Lord. And we should each understand that the Word of God can be trusted and shared without any hesitation by every believer. The truths I’ve shared are not legitimate because I say they are, but rather, because God says. As a disciple of Christ, you too can be an ambassador for the unfeigned truth of God’s Word.

Thank you, brethren, for allowing God to use you! As a disabled man who is home bound, this forum has been a real blessing.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 09-26-2008, 06:06 PM

Very Well written Brother and so very true, I will read in depth tomorrow to the verses [DV], But I have every confidence in your opinions, as I am of many others on the forum that are of a like mind in Christ.

Quote:
Thank you, brethren, for allowing God to use you! As a disabled man who is home bound, this forum has been a real blessing.
May I just say, that when we get home, when we are glorified, I shall have you a race in your new perfect body and you can show this whippersnapper a thing or two