General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:00 AM

Marty,

there are alot of blessings for us today. if you divide rightly you wont miss them. divide wrongly God will mess up your mind so you will miss the blessing.

for example the unknown tongue being spoken in many churches today by so called spirit filled people and no interpretation goes against scripture and makes them disobiedent to God word and instruction in 1Cor 14. if they would study they would see their disobedience. but most of them have Bibles that have removed 2 Tim2:15.

I find lots of blessing in the Bible for me today. so dividing the word is not a bad thing. just some people get to carried away with it and become legalistic, cold and judgental of others. Like your judgment of Diligent. if you knew him I think you would have a different opinion. so readmore of his post throughout all the forums. you will see not only is he intellegent but also very down to earth and loving. just because a person is intellectual doesn't make them miss God word. remember God create intellectuals too and uses them greatly when they are Spirit led.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-20-2008, 05:24 AM
martydavis

Chette, my "judgment of Diligent" wasn't truly meant to be judgmental, but the smiley face was to lighten it and make it more tongue-in-cheek - more of an observation than anything else (yes, see me back pedal). He pushed a button of mine, I think, assuming I wouldn't know the difference of God telling Noah to build an ark or He speaking to me. I do know He tells me He is a BIG God and I'm safe when I enter in to His protective "Ark" and that the flood waters of life will not come against me when I step into His "Ark". One of the problems with the written word and emotion - makes it hard to discern the intent.

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Praying in tongues, at home in your prayer closet, is where the unknown tongues should be uttered - not as a public display in church.

In church you will know when there will be an interpretation - the Holy Spirit will prompt you (providing you are listening)
Old 06-20-2008, 05:31 AM
jesseedavis

Please, can someone explain to me the connection of "rightly dividing the word of truth" to dispensational study and application of Scriptures. I can see a connection in being a type of study which means you would be dividing Scripture, but I don't see in my Bible where we are to divide it a certain way. I feel a strong pull in my spirit about this, because only our Father knows what He meant by "rightly." It isn't for us to tell others to do things a certain way, just do it.

The simple child would know not a certain way to study, he would just read and apply and pray. Jesus says to be like a child. (Not very educated.)
Old 06-20-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martydavis View Post
When Jesus was walking on the water and told Peter to step out, by faith, and walk on the water to Him wasn't He also talking to you telling you to get out of the boat and walk by faith in something that He is telling you to do?
One rightly divides the word to establish doctrine. Once established, one may proceed by properly applying what is read.

God can use any scripture to teach us a spiritual truth or "life lesson" should He so choose. He calls men to preach from the writings of Jeremiah and even Moses. He teaches us of His nature and attributes from Isaiah and Job. Much of the Psalms are very comforting and encouraging to us today, and yet they often speak doctrinally of Christ and His future kingdom.

Where God speaks to you individually is up to Him. But you must know that He won't lead you contrary to the perimeters (doctrine) that He has already established for you and me today. Should one feel led to apply someone else's doctrine, they had better "try the spirits whether they are of God."
Old 06-20-2008, 08:04 AM
martydavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
One rightly divides the word to establish doctrine. Once established, one may proceed by properly applying what is read.

God can use any scripture to teach us a spiritual truth or "life lesson" should He so choose. He calls men to preach from the writings of Jeremiah and even Moses. He teaches us of His nature and attributes from Isaiah and Job. Much of the Psalms are very comforting and encouraging to us today, and yet they often speak doctrinally of Christ and His future kingdom.

Where God speaks to you individually is up to Him. But you must know that He won't lead you contrary to the perimeters (doctrine) that He has already established for you and me today. Should one feel led to apply someone else's doctrine, they had better "try the spirits whether they are of God."
EXACTLY!! Through prayer and His word, God speaks to each of us 'in our own place' - Our walk with the Lord is an individual thing. When God speaks to me in MY situation He is not necessarily speaking to you in YOUR situation the same way. God may tell me something literal from His word as you may read it and only can apply it figuratively.

When Jesus told us that "these signs will follow them that believe" He was speaking to all of His followers that believe, but I believe more specifically to those "who will believe" (if YOU don't believe it is for YOU there will be no signs following). Which means you can't tell me "it has passed away" if it is just a matter of YOU not believing it is for YOU. My faith, and my relationship with with Jesus says it DOES apply to me if I believe it by faith and claim it. Yes, I can tell God 'NO" and get swallowed up by a great fish, but eventually I will have to repent and "go to Nineva"
Old 06-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Chette, my "judgment of Diligent" wasn't truly meant to be judgmental, but the smiley face was to lighten it and make it more tongue-in-cheek - more of an observation than anything else (yes, see me back pedal). He pushed a button of mine, I think, assuming I wouldn't know the difference of God telling Noah to build an ark or He speaking to me. I do know He tells me He is a BIG God and I'm safe when I enter in to His protective "Ark" and that the flood waters of life will not come against me when I step into His "Ark". One of the problems with the written word and emotion - makes it hard to discern the intent.
The Ark is a type. It sounds like you already understand that. So again, you already practice some division. Most people do -- you'd go nuts trying to read every verse in the Bible as if it were written to you.
1 Corinthians 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
For, not to, us.

We have to divide between the fors and the tos.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:17 AM
martydavis

Quote:
We have to divide between the fors and the tos.
Yep. That takes a close walk with Jesus in His Holy Spirit and careful study of the word.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Yep. That takes a close walk with Jesus in His Holy Spirit and careful study of the word.
...or, as you say, you can just believe it, and it's all okay! Now you've opened the door to believe whatever you want to believe from scripture.

But then this would go against what I previously quoted,
"But you must know that He won't lead you contrary to the perimeters (doctrine) that He has already established for you and me today."
You had better establish the doctrine that applies to you today, before you choose what you believe.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:37 PM

PBI,

great response to Marty

I agree one way of establishing a doctrine is to rightly divide so you have clear knowledge of what is for you today, then obey what is for you today and apply it to your life. that would lead to wisdom

Amen bro good encouragement
Old 06-22-2008, 07:25 AM
martydavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
...or, as you say, you can just believe it, and it's all okay! Now you've opened the door to believe whatever you want to believe from scripture.

But then this would go against what I previously quoted,
"But you must know that He won't lead you contrary to the perimeters (doctrine) that He has already established for you and me today."
You had better establish the doctrine that applies to you today, before you choose what you believe.
By faith, I can claim God's word - all of it. Doctrine is established by MEN (that is why we have so many denominations and nobody seems to be getting along). Not only do we have to rightly divide what the Apostles wrote and live that, but we have to rightly divide what our Lord Jesus spoke and was written down by Mathew, Mark, Luke and John and do what HE said we're to do. Since scripture doesn't contradict itself anywhere in my bible (all 66 books, 1,189 chapters and roughly 31,175 verses) there is also what God's Holy Spirit inspired to be written in the Old Testament by the prophets and teachers of old and we have to rightly discern what God wants us to apply to our lives from that.

We have a lot of words written to us and a lot to figure out on our own through God's word. We can easily listen to preachers and teachers of today, but not a one of them walked with Jesus and has a REAL clue. As I read it even Paul had problems with Peter and James (Galatians 2) and their doctrine. We need to get close the Lord through His Holy Spirit and only then can we know what God has for US to do (as individuals). If I have faith and believe that the infilling of the Holy Spirit bring God's POWER (as it did throughout my bible - both old and new testament) and choose to stand on the promises of God and He PROVES to me that it is for me what is that to you? Jesus told Peter to mind his own business when Peter asked "what about John" (John 21:22). Do you establish doctrine for me - or does God?