Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:31 PM

Default In Regards To "Study Bibles"

Aloha all,

In regards to studying the Scriptures and “Study” Bibles:

After 50 years of Bible study, I personally do NOT recommend “Study Bibles” of any kind or even a Bible with “references” in them. The following examples are some of the reasons why:

Peter did NOT say As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the commentators words, that ye may grow thereby:

Peter said: 1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

David did NOT say The words of the commentators are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

David said: PSALMS 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

David did NOT say
As for the commentators, their way is perfect: the word of the commentators is tried: they are bucklers to all those that trust in them.

David said: PSALMS 18:30 As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.

David did NOT say For the word of the commentators is right; and all their works are done in truth

David said: PSALMS 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth

God did NOT say For the word of the commentators is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword,

God said: HEBREWS 4:12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

David did NOT say And take not the word of the commentators utterly out of my mouth; for I have hoped in their judgments.

David said: PSALMS 119:43 And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth; for I have hoped in thy judgments.

God did NOT say Sanctify them through thy truth: the commentators word is truth.

God said: JOHN 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

David did NOT say The commentators words are a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

David said: PSALMS 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

David did NOT say The commentators words are very pure: therefore thy servant loveth them.

David said: - PSALMS119:140 Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it.

David did NOT say The commentators words are true from the beginning: and every one of their righteous judgments endureth for ever.

David said: PS.ALMS 119:160 Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.

David did NOT say My tongue shall speak of the commentators words: for all their commandments are righteousness.

David said: PSALMS 119:172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

Isaiah did NOT say –The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of the commentators shall stand forever.

Isaiah said: FOREVER – ISAIAH 40:8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.

Paul did NOT say –Holding fast the faithful words of the commentators as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Paul said: TITUS. 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

David did NOT say – The commentators words have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

David said: Psalms 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

God did NOT say - Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the commentators.

God said: Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Do you get the drift? If you want to read a commentator, get their commentaries and read them (Swordsearcher has some of them). If you want to read the scholars, get their works and study them. If you want to read the famous Christian “celebrities”, buy their books or go on line and get their studies.

If you want to read about church history; or about the history of the transmission of the text of the New Testament; or about Textual Criticism; or about Manuscript Evidence; etc,; etc.; - get the books, or go on line and download the tons of info available there.

But if you want to read and study the Bible – do so without anyone else’s “suppositions”, “opinions”, “biases”, or “educated guesses” imbedded in the Bible along side of God’s Holy words. At best – they may be of “some help”. At worst – they may lead you astray.

God wants to speak directly to you (not through an “interpreter”). That’s why he caused the Scriptures to be written; that’s why he preserved His Holy words, so that you might know (first hand) what His will is for you personally and what His will is for all of mankind.

Paul did NOT say – Study the commentators to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of the commentators.

Paul said: 2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

The Lord Jesus Christ said: John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

The scriptures are very clear – you have no “need” of a “priest” or a “pastor”, or a “scribe”, or a “scholar” (Greek or Hebrew) in order to understand God’s word. If you are saved you have a “Guide” living within you and He shall guide you into all truth.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

1 John 2:20
But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

1 John 2:26
These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

From 1958 (when the Lord Jesus Christ saved me) until about 1970 I had a “Scofield” Reference Bible and also a “Thompson’s Chain Reference Bible”, fortunately I didn’t pay that much attention to them. From about 1970 up to the present I have only used a quality bound King James Bible with large enough type to read comfortably, and without any notes or references of any kind.

If you are a fast reader, I would advise you to take your time (slow down) when reading or studying. Get a bunch of letter size yellow note pads and as you read if you have any questions or if God impresses you with some issue or matter – write down the question or point that you would like to know about and get a Concordance (Electronic is faster and more convenient) and “look it up”! Study to shew thyself approved unto God! (Don’t rely on the “experts” - they could be wrong & often are).

God wants to speak to you directly, and the only way He has chosen in this age to speak to you is through His written word. Why would you want to place a man (any man - no matter how highly you might think of him) or a woman between you and God?

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

John 6:68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

To whom will you go to, a mere man, who may or may not be sound in doctrine? Or to the Lord Jesus Christ Himself, Who will never lead you astray. How will you conduct your study of the Bible? Will it be?

Search the commentators; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Or:

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Last edited by George; 06-06-2008 at 06:42 PM.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-06-2008, 10:00 PM

You have said it all!
Old 06-07-2008, 07:43 AM

Thumbs up In Regards to "Sudy Bibles"

Thank you brother George.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:38 AM
LeeM1023

Default Study Bibles . . .

Well, I agree that the Bible text is preeminent, and most commentators have very little if anything useful to say. As I commented somewhere else, they tend to talk about the easy verses and ignore the hard ones . . . so I've gradually abandoned the use of commentaries over the years.

That said, I do think reference Bibles are useful. It helps me to know where other passages are that treat the same topic. It's helpful to know the parallel passages. It's helpful to have notes that clarify who was king of what, when. Etc.

I have the Full Life Study Bible (pentecostal) and the Nelson Study Bible (essentially the Liberty University commentary), but they're reference books, not the Bibles I read, and if I look at them once a month, that's a lot.

But the Thompson Bible is useful for me. It organizes a lot of Bible material in a way that I can't do myself, mentally. I find it very non-doctrinal. It just lays out a lot of "here's what the Bible says about X" kind of information. I'm not bound to it, but it's there if I need it. What's the harm of saying "OK, now look at this other verse"? That's essentially what the Thompson's does.

Lee
Old 05-15-2009, 05:43 AM
tandy1650

I personally like and recommend "The New Defender's Study Bible" finished not long before Dr. Henry Morris went home to be with the Lord. Regards.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:27 AM

The only "study" Bible that I will likely ever recommend is "SwordSearcher".
Old 05-15-2009, 10:49 AM

I have a large print, wide margin Bible from Local Church Bible Publishers (lcbplansing.com) with no study notes or reference materials. It has a small concordance in the back, and the translators' notes, but that's it. It's been my preaching and study Bible for some time now and I've enjoyed it greatly. I haven't missed the study notes, but I didn't really like them included in the publication; I like them separate. Sometimes cross references would be nice. With the extra space, though, I have added my own cross references. I hope to find a large print wide margin Bible with the PCE form of the text, because mine doesn't quite follow it to the letter.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:30 PM

Bro. George thanks for the study. Footnotes or commentary incorporated in the bible makes me weak as a student of the bible because of the two(2) primary reasons:

1. I forget to PRAY for my quiet Study. Usually, I am bound to look right away the comments made by the contibutors. I fail to ask God's guidance in search for His counsel when in fact I need to.

Judges 18:5 And they said unto him, Ask counsel, we pray thee, of God, that we may know whether our way which we go shall be prosperous.

2. I've fallen from the PRACTICE of right dividing. Many times, I've fail in my study either Devotionally and Doctrinally. I love a verse by verse study or expository kind of study but when, I look at my Study bibles then I forget all of these things.

Again thanks...

1 Thessalonians 4:11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;
Old 05-15-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Aloha all,

But if you want to read and study the Bible – do so without anyone else’s “suppositions”, “opinions”, “biases”, or “educated guesses” imbedded
in the Bible along side of God’s Holy words. At best – they may be of “some help”. At worst – they may lead you astray.

God wants to speak directly to you (not through an “interpreter”). That’s why he caused the Scriptures to be written; that’s why he preserved His Holy words, so that you might know (first hand) what His will is for you personally and what His will is for all of mankind.
The most beneficial and prudent suggestion regarding the study of God's word I've ever read on this forum!
1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:51 PM

Thanks Brother George for the encouraging study. For a long time, I thought a study Bible would be the best way to understand God's word. I have been weaning myself off of it and just spending time reading a text only Bible. I have found that now I am waiting to let God define the words, revealing the meaning of the passage, and see the natural outlines of the thoughts instead of looking at the notes and references for a quick way out. It's true that some of the notes and references are useful. But it's more rewarding to let God teach me so that what I learn is mine. That knowledge tends to dwell in my heart more permanently. I hope it makes sense what I am trying to express. I just had a big dinner. I feel like all the blood is going into my stomach.