Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:27 AM

Default Regarding Baptism

This is a personal question, but because it is also a doctrinal issue I thought this would be the place to post the question.

When I was 'baptised' years ago, I was sprinkled in a presbyterian church (as an adult). Now I know that baptism doesn't save us, but I've also heard people mention that our soul is separated from the flesh in baptism etc. My question is this; if you were me, would you want to be rebaptised by immersion? Perhaps I'm making a deal about it, but it's been on my mind a lot lately and I really need to find some rest from the concerns I have.

Much Love in Christ Jesus,
Stephen
Old 10-30-2008, 02:38 AM

Yes, I would be biblically baptised again, but your soul isn't seperated from your flesh at baptism. That happens the moment you believe (Col 2:11). Baptism is nothing but an outward display of what has already happened inwardly.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:03 AM
aussiemama

Yeah what he said...
Old 10-30-2008, 06:49 AM

Default hi guys

to the duplicate members from Baptist1611 - hi, I'm here too.

to the rest of the fine folks on av1611 - by way of introduction, my name is Laura and while I've been a member here since June, I've only posted once. But, I've lately been spending my share of time here, reading.

Now to answer you, Stephen - yes, you should be Scripturally baptized. Every time water baptism is mentioned in the Bible, it's by immersion. "Baptizo" - the Greek word we get "baptism" from - actually means "to dip" or "to immerse."

The fact that it's been on your mind lately makes me wonder if it's not the Holy Spirit pointing out that you're not yet quite in line with God's Word on the matter. I say that from experience - before I was married (unsaved at the time), I was "baptized" by the minister who did the wedding, by sprinkling. After I was saved and in a Bible teaching church, it was on my mind a lot too, that I wasn't properly baptized. So I talked to the Pastor and on November 9, 1999 was baptized by immersion, two years after I was saved.

As Luke said, baptism is an outward sign of what's already happened inwardly. It's also one of the first steps of obedience to Christ that a Christian makes, and I've agree with the suggestion that to not follow Christ in believer's baptism might just limit a Christian's usefulness. The Lord won't entrust us with greater responsibility if we're not willing to obey Him in the first step.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:52 AM

I should also add, baptism by immersion paints a more accurate picture of Christ's death, burial and resurrection than does sprinkling or pouring, for example.

"buried in the likeness of His death" when we go under the water; "raised in the likeness of His resurrection" when we come back up.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:09 AM

Stephen, I agree with the above.

By the way, belated welcome, Laura (sorry ). Well said.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos
This is a personal question, but because it is also a doctrinal issue I thought this would be the place to post the question.

When I was 'baptised' years ago, I was sprinkled in a presbyterian church (as an adult). Now I know that baptism doesn't save us, but I've also heard people mention that our soul is separated from the flesh in baptism etc. My question is this; if you were me, would you want to be rebaptised by immersion? Perhaps I'm making a deal about it, but it's been on my mind a lot lately and I really need to find some rest from the concerns I have.
In fact, dear brother, I was like you, and I did get baptized by immersion (It's not a "re-baptism" if you weren't immersed in the first place). But my circumstances were a little different. When I was saved, I joined an independent, very evangelistic Presbyterian Church. Later, I moved to another church that was just as evangelistic, but aligned with a brand-new "conservative" denomination. (Note to Traditional Anglican: the new one was the PCA, but I had many friends who were OP and RP, too. There are as many kinds of Presbyterians as there are of Baptists!) Anyway, I was baptized by sprinkling, as a new Christian, at age 19. This was understood to be no more and no less than my adult profession of faith. I remained in the Presbyterian church, and two of my four children were "baptized" as infants. I kinda regret this, but I was going by the light that I had: I didn't find the King James Bible for 13 years, and I had bought - - - against my better judgment - - - the Reformed arguments in favor of infant baptism. (But I never did buy the "child of the Covenant" stuff.) Anyway, that was then, and this is now.

When I went to PBI, to study for the ministry, I asked Ruckman exactly the question that you've asked here. He said that, in my case, since I understood what my baptism represented, it wouldn't be necessary to baptize me again. But, since I was planning to be a Baptist pastor, he strongly suggested that I do it, for appearances' sake. So, Ruckman baptized me by immersion. I think it was the right thing to do.

In your situation, I would advise you to follow the Spirit's guidance. If you're not planning to be a Baptist preacher, you probably don't need to do it; but, if you're troubled, or if the Spirit is prompting you, then yes, by all means go ahead!

Whatever you do, brother, be at peace with your decision, and don't let the Enemy use this to accuse you or make you feel guilty. As you go down under the water - - - because I have a hunch that's what you'll end up doing - - - just remember, the issue isn't what Stephen is doing for Jesus, it's what Jesus Christ did for Stephen!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
In fact, dear brother, I was like you, and I did get baptized by immersion (It's not a "re-baptism" if you weren't immersed in the first place). But my circumstances were a little different. When I was saved, I joined an independent, very evangelistic Presbyterian Church. Later, I moved to another church that was just as evangelistic, but aligned with a brand-new "conservative" denomination. (Note to Traditional Anglican: the new one was the PCA, but I had many friends who were OP and RP, too. There are as many kinds of Presbyterians as there are of Baptists!) Anyway, I was baptized by sprinkling, as a new Christian, at age 19. This was understood to be no more and no less than my adult profession of faith. I remained in the Presbyterian church, and two of my four children were "baptized" as infants. I kinda regret this, but I was going by the light that I had: I didn't find the King James Bible for 13 years, and I had bought - - - against my better judgment - - - the Reformed arguments in favor of infant baptism. (But I never did buy the "child of the Covenant" stuff.) Anyway, that was then, and this is now.

When I went to PBI, to study for the ministry, I asked Ruckman exactly the question that you've asked here. He said that, in my case, since I understood what my baptism represented, it wouldn't be necessary to baptize me again. But, since I was planning to be a Baptist pastor, he strongly suggested that I do it, for appearances' sake. So, Ruckman baptized me by immersion. I think it was the right thing to do.

In your situation, I would advise you to follow the Spirit's guidance. If you're not planning to be a Baptist preacher, you probably don't need to do it; but, if you're troubled, or if the Spirit is prompting you, then yes, by all means go ahead!

Whatever you do, brother, be at peace with your decision, and don't let the Enemy use this to accuse you or make you feel guilty. As you go down under the water - - - because I have a hunch that's what you'll end up doing - - - just remember, the issue isn't what Stephen is doing for Jesus, it's what Jesus Christ did for Stephen!
AMEN brother! Thank you for this. I sure appreciate the kind words and wise council.

Stephen
Old 11-08-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
...since I understood what my baptism represented, it wouldn't be necessary to baptize me again. But, since I was planning to be a Baptist pastor, he strongly suggested that I do it, for appearances' sake. So, Ruckman baptized me by immersion. I think it was the right thing to do...
That's what I was thinking as I read through this thread.

Stephanos, if you understood what your original baptism (sprinkling) represented, and moreover your audience at the time understood it, then I don't think it's imperative that you repeat it by immersion.

If you were to go ahead and get immersed now, you wouldn't be doing it for a public testimony that you are dead, buried, and raised with Christ (for you have already done that), you would be doing it on the technicality that the method (sprinkling) of your original baptism was not correct.

Also, you would be doing it for your own peace of mind, and maybe that's a necessity for you, which is okay.

As far as the soul being separated from the flesh during baptism, I believe that is correct, but it happens immediately when you are baptised into Christ by the Spirit at the point of being saved. So, different baptism altogether.

Colossians 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: 12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post

Stephen
Stephen:

When I got saved in 2000, I started attending a Presbyterian church. After I'd attended it for a while, I decided to join, and asked about getting baptized. They refused to do so, because I'd been 'sprinkled' as a nine year old child. I explained to the pastor that I'd just been born again, and that the 'sprinkling' I got at that time meant nothing to me, but he told me that they just couldn't rebaptize me, as I'd had it done once already.

Less than a year later, I started looking for a Bible-believing church, because I was under conviction about the NIV bibles used in the church, and because I really felt, believed, that I needed to be Scripturally baptized, immersed. I found a nice Independent Baptist church, and within a week or so, went forward to be baptized!

So, I understand what may be going on...because something similar happened to me!