Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:09 PM

Default 1 Corinthians 3: 1 - 23

Aloha brother Chette,

Your inquiry about 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 has been deleted – so I thought I would re-post my reply to you with some additional comments. Please keep in mind the three basic applications of Scripture:

1. HISTORICAL

2. DOCTRINAL

3. SPIRITUAL

All of my “Historical” comments are in BLUE and all of my “Doctrinal” comments are in GREEN. I try real hard to avoid “spiritualizing” verses of Scripture, because they can be made to say whatever a person wants them to say (Ala - Arthur W. Pink).

Re: 1 Corinthians 3:16-17
Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
Notice Paul's address is to "YE" & "YOU" (Plural - NOT singular). In the “context” Paul is talking about "the temple of God" (the whole body of Christ at Corinth - NOT an individual Christian.) So (in the “context”) when "any man" defile's "the temple of God" is in reference to when a man (or woman) defiles the corporate body of Christ - NOT when an individual Christian sins.

The following verses are all of the verses in the New Testament with the phrase “the temple of God”. Please notice that there are various “meanings” – all determined by “context”.
Quote:
Matthew 21:12 And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves,
{The Jews’ PhysicalTemple.}

Matthew 26:61 And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.
{The Jews’ PhysicalTemple.}

1 Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
{Ye – I believe that the primary application is to the church (corporate), but there obviously is a secondary application to individual Christians (who are each also the “Temple of God”). I believe that what is true about the church is also true about an individual Christian and vice-versa - after all, it is individual Christians who make up the church.}

1 Corinthians 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
{Ye – I believe that the primary application is to the church (corporate), but there obviously is a secondary application to individual Christians (who are each also the “Temple of God”). I believe that what is true about the church is also true about an individual Christian and vice-versa - after all, it is individual Christians who make up the church.}

2 Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

2 Thessalonians 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
{The Jews’ PhysicalTemple? Or?}

Revelation 11:1 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.
{The Jews’ PhysicalTemple – in the Tribulation.}

Revelation 11:19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.
{The “Temple of God” in Heaven.}
There is also the reference to “the temple of the Holy Ghost” in Ephesians 6:19:
Quote:
1 Corinthians 6:15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
Please notice the “switch” from plural to singular and back to plural again. We are dealing with one of God’s “mysteries” and I wouldn’t dare to profess that I understand it all! Lets read all of the verses in 1 Corinthians Chapter Three and try to keep them in “context” (“Context” – it’s all about “CONTEXT”!)
Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.
10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
16 Know ye not that ye are the
temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
17 If any man defile the
temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.
21 Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours;
22 Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;
23 And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.
Have you ever done any Gardening (“husbandry”)? Paul said that he (Paul) “PLANTED” (the churches - God’s “husbandry”, in the Mediterranean area); and that Apollos “WATERED” (the churches - God’s “husbandry”, in the Mediterranean area). Paul was describing TWO DIFFERENT JOBS done by TWO DIFFERENT KINDS OF WORKMEN (“labourers” – “ministers”). (PLANTING & WATERING!)

Read the verses in the context:
Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
{Historically: Both Paul and Apollos were “MINISTERS”. Both men were called of God. Both men were called of God to do DIFFERENT JOBS, but they were BOTH MINISTERS OF GOD. Doctrinally: This can be applied to any man (men) that is called of God to be a “minister” today.}

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
{Historically: Paul “PLANTED” all of the early churches - God’s “husbandry”, in the Gentile world in the Mediterranean area, Apollos came along AFTER and “WATERED” them. It’s that “simple”. Doctrinally: This is still going on today - where one man will “plant” a church and another man may come along and “water” it. You have already done this in Palawan. Please keep in mind: the “context” is about “MINISTERS” of God, NOT ALL Christians.}

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
{Historically: Paul establishes the fact that the missionary, evangelist, and preacher ARE NOTHING! IT’S ALL ABOUT GOD! The labourer (Paul) who “PLANTED” isn’t anything, and neither is the labourer (Apollos) who “WATERED” anything. It (the church) is God’s Garden (i.e. “husbandry”) – NOT theirs! Doctrinally: The teaching is clear: God’s “husbandry” (His church) belongs to Him – NOT the MINISTER (i.e. “labourer!”}

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
{Historically: NOTICE: BOTHhe that “PLANTETH” and he that WATERETH are ONE! Both Paul and Apollos are labourers - working for God in God’s Garden (i.e. His church) – and they each will “receive his own reward according to his own labour”. Doctrinally: The principle is the same today. Not every “minister” can be an Evangelist; not every man called of God can be a full time pastor over a large church; but every “minister” of God will “receive his own reward according to his own labour”. In the “context” the “every man” is still a “minister” of God, NOT ALL Christians.}

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.
{Historically: Paul clearly and distinctly says that WE (BOTH Paul & Apollos) are labourers TOGETHER WITH GOD! The testimony of Scripture is clear: BOTH Paul & Apollos are working TOGETHER “WITH GOD”. NOTICE TOO: That Paul SWITCHES from using “husbandry” as a “SIMILE” to explain the difference between his job and Apollos’ and he now begins to use “carpentry” (building/construction) to further explain his ministry in terms that ordinary people could understand (at least back then). I was a carpenter/builder for over 25 years, and I have done a whole lot of farming (wet land, dry land, hydroponic, sprouting, etc.) The words that Paul is speaking here have special meaning to me since I have participated in all of these activities. Doctrinally: Again for today - the “context” of “labourers together” is still talking about a “ministers” of God, NOT ALL Christians. And notice: "ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building" – Paul is speaking about the church (the corporate body) – NOT individual Christians. We must keep clear the “division” between the “ministers” (labourers or workers); the church; and individual Christians.}

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
{Historically: Paul is the “masterbuilder” (of the church). He “laid the foundation (of the church); and if “another” – (Apollos or anyone else) “buildeth thereon”, they had better be careful HOW they “buildeth thereupon”. God called the “masterbuilder” (Paul) to lay the foundation for the church. “Every man” who builds upon that “foundation” better “take heed”! Doctrinally: The same holds true today. Every “minister” of God had better be extremely careful HOW he builds upon the foundation that Paul laid down so long ago! The “context” of “every man” is still talking about “ministers” of God, NOT ALL Christians}

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
{Doctrinally: So, if “another” comes along and claims that there is “another foundation” (like the "pastor" is the "HEAD" of the church) – other than Jesus Christ – You can be absolutely sure that they are not following the “foundation” that the “masterbuilder” (Paul) laid down, and you can know for sure, that they aren’t working for God, because:ALL HIS WORKS ARE DONE IN TRUTH.”Psalms 33:4}

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
{Historically: The “any man” in the verse is specifically talking about men (“any man” in Paul’s day) that were called of God to “build” upon Paul’s “foundation”, i.e. ministers, labourers, workers. Doctrinally: The “any man” equals those “ministers” of God, who are called of God today, to build upon the same foundation that Paul laid down in the Holy Scriptures. Again for today - the “context” of “any man” is still talking about “ministers” of God, NOT ALL Christians.}

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
Historically: The “every man”, in the context, is still talking about God’s “ministers” (back in Paul’s day), i.e. those who were called of God to “build” upon Paul’s “foundation”. Doctrinally: “Every man” equals those “ministers” of God, who are called of God today, to build upon the same foundation that Paul laid down in the Holy Scriptures. According to the Scriptures – “every man’s” work shall be tried by fire. - The “context” of “every man” is still talking about “ministers” of God, NOT ALL Christians. If the “context” of these verses (since 1 Corinthians 3:1) has been about the “ministers” of God, HOW can they now (suddenly) apply to ALL Christians?}

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
{Historically: The “any man”, in the context, is still talking about God’s “ministers”, i.e. those who were called of God to “build” upon Paul’s “foundation”. Doctrinally: This is still true today. If any “minister” of God today builds upon Paul’s foundation, according to the Scriptures, he will receive an appropriate “reward” – according to “what sort” of work he performed. The “context” of “any man” is still talking about “ministers” of God, NOT ALL Christians.}

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
{Historically: Paul is still speaking about “any man”, in the context; he is still talking about God’s “ministers”, i.e. those who were called of God to “build” upon Paul’s “foundation”. Doctrinally: “Any man” equals those “ministers” of God, who are called of God today, to do the work of God for which He has called them - according to the Holy Scriptures. Spiritually: Theseverses can be spiritually applied to ordinary Christians – BUT IN THE “CONTEXT”, these verses are in reference to God’s “ministers’!}

Quote:
{Historically: Paul was addressing the whole church at Corinth. The “YE” in the context is the entire church. In the context - the church = “the temple of God”. Doctrinally: The Spirit of God dwelleth in the church. “YE” & “YOU” are always plural pronouns in the King James Bible. The “context” is the whole church - the “application” is to the whole church, but the statement is also true about individual Christians. I believe that what is true about the church is also true about an individual Christian and vice-versa - after all, it is individual Christians who make up the church. BUT, in the context Paul is addressing the entire church – NOT individual Christians. If (in the “context”) Paul has been addressing the whole church (since 1 Corinthians 3:1), HOW can he (suddenly) be addressing individual Christians?}

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
{Historically: The “any man”, in the context, is still talking about God’s “ministers”, i.e. those who were called of God to “build” upon Paul’s “foundation” and the “temple of God” is still the church. Doctrinally: What was true back then – still holds true for today! NOTICE THE SEVERITY OF THE OFFENSE OF DEFILING THE TEMPLE (i.e. the church) OF GOD! Those men (“any man”) who DEFILE “the temple (i.e. the church) of God”, him shall God DESTROY”! WHY? Because “the temple (i.e. the church) of God is HOLY! Perhaps now you can understand WHY I get so upset with “false teachers” and hereticks. “Any man” who messes with God’s temple (i.e. the church) is committing a most serious offense, and you can be sure - NO MAN who “defiles the temple of God” is going to get away with it! Spiritually: This would hold true for the individual Christian also, BUT (in the “context”) Paul is speaking about the church.}

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
{Historically: The “no man” is still in reference to “any man” who was supposed to be one of God’s workers back in Paul’s day. Doctrinally: The warning is clear: “Let no man (“ministers” today) deceive himself” – If you are going to work on God’s temple (building, i.e. the church) you better take heed; you had better NOT MESS WITH IT!}

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.
21 Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours;
{Did you get that? Do you understand what God is warning against? The “no man” is still in reference to the “any man” who is supposed to be one of God’s “ministers”; and “no man” (who is building upon Paul “foundation” i.e. the temple of God - the church of God) is to GLORY IN MEN! God’s workers (“labourers”) are NOT TO GLORY IN PREACHERS, EVANGELISTS, TEACHERS, ETC. OR ANY OTHER MEN FOR THAT MATTER. We are not to be GLORYING in any man’s “work”, or his teaching, or in the man himself, instead we are supposed to GLORY in God and in His Holy word. What was true back then – still holds true for today!}

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:22 Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;
{Please Notice: Paul closes by identifying the “any man” and “every man” as being himself (Paul), and Apollos, and Cephas (Peter), that is, ALL MEN - who were “labourers together with God”. ALL MEN - who were “ministers” (workers - builders) involved in building the temple of God (i.e. the church of God) at that time.}

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:23 And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.
I believe Ephesians 2:19-22 supports "precept" that "the temple of God" is the church, and not only the individual believer:
Quote:
Ephesians 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
I believe that I have rightly divided the word of truth, in the “context”, and according to the Scriptural principles laid out in the Bible:

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Isaiah 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Isaiah 28:13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

Last edited by George; 07-14-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:24 PM

Thanks for reposting this, brother George.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:40 PM

Now that is one piece of excellent work there George. I will cut and paste it in a folder for future reference. Now it makes more sense than your original post.

It must of gotten pretty rotten to have to delete a whole thread. those guys I warned them about that.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
It must of gotten pretty rotten to have to delete a whole thread. those guys I warned them about that.
Yes, I only rarely yank an entire thread. When the topical content gets too mixed with the baiting and bashing, that's when I decide to wipe the thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:39 AM

Outstanding Brother George. And it makes perfect sense now. I've really had some error in my teaching on this chapter... This has helped a lot. Thank you for this study.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 PM

Brother George, I was reading the chapter after your study and a "word" caught my attention. It's the word "believed" in verse 3.

Quote:
1Co*3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
Is it possible that in verse 3, Paul is actually referring to how they, the church, "believed" on the Lord Jesus Christ after he planted the gospel seed and it was watered by Apollos? He did say this later in the same letter:

Quote:
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
If the word "believed" references initial "belief" in the gospel message (which he preached) then it seems to me verses 6-11 still provide both sound historical and doctrinal teaching from this interpretation.

Quote:
1Co*3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

1Co*3:7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
Paul planted the gospel seed, Apollos watered the gospel seed, but God gave the increase.

Quote:
1Co*3:8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

1Co*3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.
It seems here that first the husbandry is identified, then secondly, the building. The husbandry of course exists when seed is planted then watered. God gives the increase. The building is something that can be built upon. Those who "believed" are God's building.

Quote:
1Co*3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
It seems Paul makes a transition from a seed sower to instructing those other ministers who are builders to build on the foundation of Christ. The "foundation" that was laid is clearly Christ. "For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ" (1 Corinthians 3:11 ). The man as you said in your lesson is the minister. So is this possibly referring to both the "gospel" and "doctrine" concerning the church at Corinth?