Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2009, 08:25 AM

Well, this is an interesting thread...I've just skimmed the numerous posts and while I'd like to return to the original question, I'd also like to offer my 2 cents on the hijacked part of the thread.

The whole context of II Corinthians 6 is separation. Basically avoid the wrong crowd...on many levels. The carnal Corinthians just could not get this right. Constantly hanging with false teachers and the like.

Verse 14 is probably the definitive verse used to prove that an unbeliever and a believer should not marry.

A yoke causes the 2 harnessed to go in the same direction. Where one goes, so goes the other. I am reminded of Amos 3:3 -

Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

This can be true for so many other situations...jobs, military, school...any place where you put yourself under the authority of another.

So many of us (my self included) can obviously take this thought to extremes.

One certainly should avoid an alliance with an unbeliever because as a believer you will not only cause problems for yourself but the Body of Christ.

v. 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

One should be careful making rules that aren't there. I saw no where that anyone on here supported, recommended, suggested, counseled, etc that it was a good idea to marry an unbeliever.

Having said that however, I am certainly teaching my children and anyone that is under my influence that it is NOT good to yoke yourself to an unbeliever, not only in marriage, but in other areas of life. If married to an unbeliever one will certainly have heartache, I've seen horrendous situations where 1 spouse was saved and the other not. I believe the outcome would certainly be a sowing/reaping situation, but I am not suggesting the Lord will condemn such a marriage but just the natural progression of things. There are many things that we do that have negative consequences, but are not a direct punishment from the Lord.

As Dr. Ruckman has said many times our standards should be to get saved, believe the Book, spend time reading the Book, pray and surrender when the Lord deals with you through His Word.