Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:49 PM

Default John 1 - Mutated??

I went to a church service last night in relation to my place of work (the place I work is what has presbyterian roots, so the church service is required). It was done in good taste, with cute little kids playing out the nativity while we sung some very beautiful hymns to the MASSIVE organ. It still strikes me as idol worship though, when all the heathens gather to sing songs to a plastic baby in a pile of straw (who else were they singing too.. most of them don't believe in Jesus Christ as God and Saviour).

Anyway, my question is this:

There was a Bible reading from John 1. This was the MOST perverse reading I have EVER come across. To me, it sounded like the person reading had just written it themselves, since they were very eloquent and a high achiever in English, but whatever it was, it was rubbish.

It went something like this (sorry I can't remember the exact words).

Before everything, there was nothing. And God was there. Nothing was made that was not made by Him. Before anything was made, mutated or came to life, God was there. In Him was light.

What Bible version is this? What Bible version sticks the word MUTATED into John 1? I don't know if it was John 1:1, parts of it sounded like it. Parts of it sounded like a mix between Genesis 1 and John 1. It was awful.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-14-2008, 05:16 PM
BrianT

I am quite familiar with many different translations and paraphrases, and nothing I know of comes even close to what you mention. Your best bet at an answer to your question is to go back to that church (or just phone/email them) and ask them. I would be interested in their response, so if you sort this out, please let us know what they say.

God bless,
Brian
Old 12-15-2008, 10:40 AM

Was he reading from a Bible or was it part of the play? We had our Christmas play last night and also read from the Gospel of John. But ours was word for word.

Was this it?

John 1:1 (Worldwide English (New Testament))

1The Word already was, way back before anything began to be. The Word and God were together. The Word was God.

Closest thing I could find on BibleGateway.com
Old 12-15-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
There was a Bible reading from John 1. This was the MOST perverse reading I have EVER come across. To me, it sounded like the person reading had just written it themselves, since they were very eloquent and a high achiever in English, but whatever it was, it was rubbish.

It went something like this (sorry I can't remember the exact words).

Before everything, there was nothing. And God was there. Nothing was made that was not made by Him. Before anything was made,mutated or came to life, God was there. In Him was light.
Quote:
Posted by Luke...since they were very eloquent and a high achiever in English...
Luke, perhaps through much study, the "high achiever" wanted to help you "lower achievers" understand what the words really meant. I've never heard the word "mutated" applied to that passage before. And it is awful. I agree with Brian. Personally, I would contact them, not to debate, but out of curiosity. If you do, let us know what they say.

Quote:
Posted by BrianT - I am quite familiar with many different translations and paraphrases....
I bet.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:22 PM

Here is the email response

Quote:
Dear Luke,

The reading came from a version of the Bible called the ‘Street Bible.’ It is available still. It also has a CD with the reading set to some music etc. I have used it during Chapel some weeks as it is a sort of web/pc sort of feel that I think sometimes communicates with the girls.

Here is the John reading.

Have a lovely Christmas.

(name withheld)

READING from John 1:

Nothing. No light, no time, no substance, no matter – the Voice was there. Before anything moved, mutated or mated, Jesus, God’s Voiced Word, was there with god from the kick-off. How come? Because Jesus, God’s Voice, is God. Before anything began, they had always been. Before there was even anywhere to be, they were there.

Jesus got the name God’s Voice because he just spoke and stuff started. From nothing to everything, sparked only by the Voice. There is nothing that does not have the phrase “Made by Jesus” stamped on it somewhere. His words were life itself, and they lit up people’s lives – his light could blast its way into the dingiest corner, and yet the people who preferred darkness still missed it.
It's a paraphrase. An absolutely terrible one.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:54 PM

Wow... that's a horrible paraphrase!! Ugh! They've totally perverted the Bible!
Old 12-16-2008, 08:22 AM

A perfect example of taking what is holy and reducing it to the common level.

They, like every paraphrase, have profaned God's Word!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:08 AM

Horrid! Repulsive!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:22 PM

That is just...horrible...
Old 12-16-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeByrd View Post
That is just...horrible...
I had a feeling the puke icon would be used a lot.