Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:06 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union
Default Two questions on tithing.

All right, so I'm 17, with an income, which is tithed, but my father pays for my gas because I'm dependent on him. My question is, does the money I get for gas count as an income, which should be tithed, or should it be untouched, excluding it from my income?

My much bigger question is this: WHERE DO I TITHE?!?!?!

My church is loaded with earthly riches and 20% of its tithing goes to missionaries. My point is, while trying to serve God by being faithful, can't I also have all of my tithe go to the gospel mission, or at least to Christians who NEED it?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin54 View Post
All right, so I'm 17, with an income, which is tithed, but my father pays for my gas because I'm dependent on him. My question is, does the money I get for gas count as an income, which should be tithed, or should it be untouched, excluding it from my income?

My much bigger question is this: WHERE DO I TITHE?!?!?!

My church is loaded with earthly riches and 20% of its tithing goes to missionaries. My point is, while trying to serve God by being faithful, can't I also have all of my tithe go to the gospel mission, or at least to Christians who NEED it?
Where in the New Testament is it required of a Christian to tithe?

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Give to those to whom your heart would have you give. And give willingly - not "of necessity" (the tithe). 2 Corinthians 8:12 For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:58 AM

As one who believes in tithing, It is my belief this gas money should be tithed on. God is very faithful, if your not cheap with Him, He won't be cheap with you.That's just a thought, not a "thus saith the Lord".
As to where you should send/give your tithe: this you need to pray and let God's Holy Spirit guide you.

Denny
Old 03-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin54 View Post
You should not be under the bonds of wrong-division. Tithing is not for you. You do not have to tithe.

You should give what you want when you want. See the verse references posted by George. Right dividing means we must see which ordinances are for whom. Tithing has nothing to do with believers in the Church age.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 AM

I agree, there is no instruction to the Church Age saint to "tithe".
But if you purpose to give 10%, than God will love you if you give cheerfully.
In our church, we practice "grace giving". There are those who refuse to purpose anything. Some purpose to give just 5%, but others purpose to give 15%, 20%, and 30%.
The only "disadvantage" I see with grace giving is when people purpose nothing or too little, not appreciating the grace of God. The blessing of this is when people continue to give their tenth; the greater blessing is when they give (out of appreciation of the grace of God) their fifteenth, twentieth, thirtieth, etc. The greatest blessing is, when out of abundant love for God, people yield their one hundredth - including their life!
Old 03-21-2008, 10:21 AM
jerry

For the sake of the argument, if someone believes in tithing - they should give that amount to their local church. The OT tithes went to the synagogues and the temple (the storehouses of the OT), and the NT says this:

1 Corinthians 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Malachi 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

I do believe that our giving/freewill offerings can go to wherever we decide to send it (of course, we should be seeking the Lord's leading in what we do with our giving too).
Old 03-21-2008, 03:24 PM
fundy

Default tithing

Thanks GEORGE, those verses you gave have given me a different perspective on the issue of tithing.

Fundy
Old 03-21-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundy View Post
Thanks GEORGE, those verses you gave have given me a different perspective on the issue of tithing.

Fundy
Aloha fundy,

Proverbs 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

Those of us who profess to believe in the King Kames Bible should always be looking for answers to our questions about all of "the issues of life" solely from the Bible (the Holy Scriptures) NOT men, a church, tradition, or a private "belief".

Holding this conviction can get you in trouble with the World: the Devil; and with some of the "brethren"; but in the long run (only eternal things count) God will bless us for seeking His counsel and His words on matters of the heart.

Proverbs 19:21 There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.

Psalms 33:11 The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations.

George