Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:53 PM
prr

Default More sure word of II Pt 1:19

I haven't thought much about this term before. Earlier today I ran across an article that interpreted this to mean that Peter was saying that the written Scripture was "more sure" than the voice of God coming from heaven (v. 18, the Transfiguration). Calvin held to this view as well (see his comments on that verse).

This is an incredibly high view of Scripture, and an interpretation of this verse that I don't recall coming across before. It really is astounding the more you think about it.

How do you folks understand this phrase "more sure" (actually one word in the Greek--bebaioteron)? "more sure" than what?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 08-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Forum Administrator

Yes, a high view indeed. That is my understanding of the verse as well.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:11 AM

Ditto

The Word of God is more sure to rely on than your experiences.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prr View Post
How do you folks understand this phrase "more sure" (actually one word in the Greek--bebaioteron)? "more sure" than what?
More sure than anything else that will ever be taught by others which stands contrary to the prophecy of Jesus Christ as preeminent in all things.

"We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:" (2 Peter 1:19).

We do well to take heed because "...there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, [Jesus died for all men, even the ones who deny Him] and bring upon themselves swift destruction" 2 Peter 2:1).

Remember, at the Mount of Transfiguration: "And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only" (Matthew 17:8).
Old 08-27-2008, 04:13 PM

Psalms 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Scott Simons

[QUOTE=prr;7090]I haven't thought much about this term before.

I can hardly believe one has thought on this "term" before. Your own word betray you.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:10 AM

2 Peter 1
16 ¶ For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
17 For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
19 ¶ We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

This is one of my favorite passages for it shows that:

1. WE HAVE "A MORE SURE WORD OF PROPHECY" (v.19).
2. IT'S "MORE SURE" THAN BEING AN EYEWITNESS (v.16).
3. IT'S "MORE SURE" THAN BEING AN EARWITNESS (v.18).
4. THIS "MORE SURE WORD OF PROPHECY" IS THE "PROPHECY OF SCRIPTURE" (v.20).
5. THIS "PROPHECY" OF "SCRIPTURE" IS "BY THE HOLY GHOST" (v.21).
Old 08-28-2008, 09:59 AM
prr

Yeah the more I read through this epistle, the more it looks like this was Peter's point here--in the next chapter, he warned against false prophets and teachers bringing in damnable heresies (v. 1). And so Peter was telling these churches in Asia to stick to the Bible, which was more sure than hearing God's voice, because these scriptures were not just one person's opinion or interpretation, but were divinely inspired--to be contrasted with the ideas of these false teachers.

Its interesting how one verse can kind of jump out at you and let you see something in a new light.... this isn't my first time reading II Peter and I don't think it will be my last...
Old 08-29-2008, 10:14 AM

Default It's "more sure", for sure!

You're absolutely right on your new take on the verse! Without the written word, we cannot be certain of the spoken word (from the prophets or even by God Himself from heaven).

Passing words around the room rarely comes out accurate in its end. Then add in the fact that Peter and the apostles would one day grow old, and undoubtably not retain their once vivid memory of the scene.

For sure, the more sure word is the written word of God (scripture).

Notice the reason Luke wrote his gospel...
Luke 1:1-4

1. Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us,
2. Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;
3. It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,
4. That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Seeing and declaring alone are not sufficient enough, but to know for certain, it must be written down. "Put it in writing" we say!
Prov. 22:17-21

17. Bow down thine ear, and hear the words of the wise, and apply thine heart unto my knowledge.
18. For it is a pleasant thing if thou keep them within thee; they shall withal be fitted in thy lips.
(that's nice, but...here it comes...)
19. That thy trust may be in the LORD, I have made known to thee this day, even to thee.
20. Have not I written to thee excellent things in counsels and knowledge,
21. That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth; that thou mightest answer the words of truth to them that send unto thee?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:06 AM

I John 5:13

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.