Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:30 PM
gophgetter

Default Does God Change His Mind?

Greetings Family,

The following question seems almost blasphemous to some people I'm sure but in light of the following scriptures, we should at least consider that it just might be possible. Does God ever change His mind or His plans? Let's look at what the Bible says and you be the judge.

Our First Example
God clearly tells us through the prophet Isaiah that God did not create the earth in vain but He created it to be inhabited (Is. 45:18). Yet, we see in Gen. 6 that He was so grieved with His creation that He was ready to destroy it all had it not been for Noah finding grace in His sight.

Gen. 6:5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

Second Example
God prophesied though Jacob's blessings of his sons that the Messiah would come through the lineage of the tribe of Judah (Gen. 49:9-12). Yet, when the children of Israel sinned greatly and provoked the Most High by worshipping a golden calf, He was ready to totally destroy the tribe of Judah had Moses not pleaded with Him and appeased His wrath.

Ex. 32:9 And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people:

32:10 Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation. (Moses was of the tribe of Levi)

32:11 And Moses besought the LORD his God, and said, LORD, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand?

32:12 Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people.

32:13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, thy servants, to whom thou swarest by thine own self, and saidst unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit it for ever.

32:14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

Third Example

Look what God says concerning the priesthood in the days of Eli when his sons had corrupted their office.

1 Sam. 2:30 Wherefore the LORD God of Israel saith, I said indeed that thy house, and the house of thy father, should walk before me for ever: but now the LORD saith, Be it far from me; for them that honor me I will honor, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed.

Fourth Example

Because Ahab had allowed Jezebel to seduce him to kill Naboth and take his vineyard, the LORD prophesied through Elijah that Ahab and his seed after him would be killed. But when Ahab heard these words, he humbled himself and because of that, look what God says concerning Ahab.

1 Kings 21:27 And it came to pass, when Ahab heard those words, that he rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his flesh, and fasted, and lay in sackcloth, and went softly.

21:28 And the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite, saying,

21:29 Seest thou how Ahab humbleth himself before me? because he humbleth himself before me, I will not bring the evil in his days: but in his son's days will I bring the evil upon his house.

Last Example

God tells us through the prophet Jeremiah that any nation that He chooses to build up or to destroy, they can change their destiny by their choice to do evil or to do good.

Jer. 18:7 At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it;

18:8 If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.

18:9 And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it;

18:10 If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them.

18:11 Now therefore go to, speak to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, Thus saith the LORD; Behold, I frame evil against you, and devise a device against you: return ye now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good.

These examples from the scriptures are clear in that they show that God can and will deal with us in accordance to our responses to Him.
Peace
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 08-16-2008, 11:06 PM

It seems you answered your own Question.

Yes God changes his mind
Old 08-17-2008, 12:34 AM

Yes, God changes His mind, but Praise God there are some decisions he won't change

"I give unto them eternal life, and they shall NEVER perish".
Old 08-18-2008, 01:28 AM

Default Re: "Greetings Family"

Gophgetter > Re: "Greetings Family"

How can you possibly refer to us as "family" - when most of us have embraced what you consider to be a "damnable heresy" (ETERNAL SALVATION); and we have been duped, deceived, and blinded by Satan? Hmmm?

[Titus 3:10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;]

ONE of US is an heretick - ONE of US has embraced a "DAMNABLE HERESY", so the question arises: How can you address us as "family" and still be obeying God's Holy word?

I'm still trying to figure out just exactly what was the "point" of gophgetter's last thread?

Last edited by George; 08-18-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:41 AM

Gophgetter,
I resent your greeting: "Greetings Family" I am definitely not of the same family as you. I hereby declare you a heritic, and as such do not claim you in any way as a relative. Your claiming us as family and spouting hearsies as you have, is an afront to believers in eternal salvation. God is the author of ETERNAL SALVATION, DO NOT ATTRIBUTE IT TO SATAN. You stand on very dangerous ground.

I praise the Lord that I do not have to keep my salvation, and that I have an able Saviour.

Renee
Old 08-18-2008, 03:34 AM

Default Huh ??

Gophgetter:--- Not sure of the reason for the Thread question...methinks it is "tilted" or shall I say slanted for a purpose...not sure what/why but here is my reply to the Thread Question. {BTW---If you think that The Lord God Almighty changes his mind,,,then please don't include me in your "family".}

Malachi 3:6 "For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed."

James 1:17

Numbers 23:19

Is.48: 3, 5

Acts 15:18

Psalm 147:5

And whenever a human thinks they can figure out The Lord, then read this:

Romans 11:33 "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgements, and HIS WAYS PAST FINDING OUT!"
Old 08-18-2008, 07:43 PM
gophgetter

Default Re: Greetings Family

Greetings Group,

My apologies to those who are offended by my use of the word "family". It won't happen again. The only reason that I did use the word "family" is because I thought that since this was a group of born-again believers and since I myself have been born of God's Spirit, that I could call you'll that. It is my belief that if you have been born again of the Spirit of God and I have been born of the Spirit of God, then you and I are brother and sister because we have been born of the same Father. But, like I said, I apologize to those who are offended and it will not happen again.

Peace
Old 08-18-2008, 09:55 PM

No God does not change his mind! 1 Samuel 15:29, "He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie, or CHANGE HIS MIND, for he is not a man that he should change his mind. There are pasages in the OT that speak of God repenting(changing his mind). But did God really change his mind? NO! The people he was speaking to changed their behavior and God withheld his judgement. Just think do you want a God that would change his mind? His promises and our salvation would be meaningless for at a moments notice he could change his mind and take them away. But his love for us is far greater than that, he will do and accomplish all he has said he would!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophgetter View Post
It is my belief that if you have been born again of the Spirit of God and I have been born of the Spirit of God, then you and I are brother and sister because we have been born of the same Father.
Gophgetter, I'm actually glad to know you claim to be "born of the Spirit of God", but we wonder if you're really born the same way we were born because you claim (in another thread) that the devil was the author of the "once saved, always saved" doctrine.

Are you really "born of the Spirit of God", or are you "born of the works of man"?
Is being "born of the Spirit of God" a permanent act of a powerful, eternal God, or is it a temporary act of a weak, corruptible man?
After being "born of the Spirit of God" can you be "unborn" by the work of man?

As someone puts it, "If you're born again, can you be unborn again?"

For example: I met someone about 8 years ago who believes that our church members are not really born again because of their not-so-good works. She believes that a born-again person NEVER sins. She claims to be born again. I asked if she's sure of heaven. She said she's not sure because she may sin again! I thought she said she was born again and a born again person can not sin anymore...

What we want you to understand here is that if you're really saved, you're SAFE! If you're a child of God now, you can never go home with your ex-father to Hell anymore. If you don't obey your Heavenly Father (after being born of His Spirit), He will discipline you on earth, or else, call you home to Heaven early; but never will He send you to someone else's home.

Romans 8:38,39 says nothing shall separate me from the love of my Heavenly Father.
Do we have the same Father? Are we of the same family? Were we born the same way?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophgetter View Post
Greetings Group,

My apologies to those who are offended by my use of the word "family". It won't happen again. The only reason that I did use the word "family" is because I thought that since this was a group of born-again believers and since I myself have been born of God's Spirit, that I could call you'll that. It is my belief that if you have been born again of the Spirit of God and I have been born of the Spirit of God, then you and I are brother and sister because we have been born of the same Father. But, like I said, I apologize to those who are offended and it will not happen again.

Peace
Gophgetter,

You really get to me. I pray we are born of the same spirit.
Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Romans 8:24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

Romans 8:25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

God does not change His mind. His salvation is the same for me as it is for you. I know that only God knows your heart. but I must say that your words condemn you. Look in the Bible for salvation verses and be sure because:

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Renee