Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Tandi

Default Factual errors in the Epistle to the Hebrews?

Some have challenged the Book of Hebrews as containing factual errors. Has this topic been dealt with here? Could you direct me to the discussion or other resources in defense of the Epistle to the Hebrews?

Thank you for your assistance.

Shalom,

Tandi
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 04-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Bro. Parrish

Hello Tandi,

In defense of Hebrews (as written in the KJV)...
I would recommend the Bible Believer's Commentary on the Book of Hebrews, by Dr. Peter Ruckman, you can order it here for 14.95 or 17.95 for ring bound (which is better) and it will be money well spent:
http://host248.ebm.bestsoftwarehost....MM?company=BBB

Last edited by Bro. Parrish; 04-19-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:12 AM

It might be helpful if you gave some facts about the so-called "factual errors", such as references and evidence of error. Also, who the "some" is.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Tandi

Thank you for the Dr. Ruckman Hebrews commentary suggestion. That reminded me that I have his book, Problem Texts. He does address one of the "errors" concerning the Ark and its contents.....Hebrews 9:4 compared with Deut. 10:3-5 and 1 Kings 8:9. He says there were two arks, and there was no gold on the Deuteronomy ark.

I also have a book by Dr. Bouw "The Book of Bible Problems" and he addresses it also. I have not finished reading the section yet but it looks good so far...very thorough analysis of all the pertinent Scriptures.

I interact with people I respect who are from various persuasions and not necessarily KJVO. I have met some who do not believe the Epistle to the Hebrews belongs in the canon of Scripture but should be amongst the apocryphal books because of errors and Gnostic/Dualist influence evident in this Book. But that is one way of reading it. I am learning that Scriptures can be looked at from various perspectives. I never noticed a Gnostic influence....until I scrutinized the text that way. Then it seems obvious.

So now I need the KJV apologetics to see the brilliance in this text that some claim for it. There are some precious verses in Hebrews that I treasure. Other verses are perplexing.

Thoughts and comments?

I will report the findings of Ruckman and Bouw after I study these pages further.

Shalom,

Tandi
Old 04-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Bro. Parrish

I have not been perplexed by the Book of Hebrews (yet) but there is always a first time. I you want to throw up a few areas you are having problems with maybe someone here can assist you.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi View Post
Some have challenged the Book of Hebrews as containing factual errors. Has this topic been dealt with here? Could you direct me to the discussion or other resources in defense of the Epistle to the Hebrews?

Shalom,

Tandi
Tandi, I don't understand what you mean by "factual errors". If you could clarify that, we might be able to help you more.

Grace and peace

Tony
Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Tandi

Okay, let's start with this one:

Hebrews 9:4

What exactly was IN the ark of the covenant?

According to this verse, INSIDE was the golden pot that had manna and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant.

However, in Deut. 10:3-5, Moses made an ark of wood, and inside were placed the two tables of the covenant (Ten commandments). Also, 1 Kings 8:9 says there was nothing in the ark save the two tables of stone, which Moses put there at Horeb when the LORD made a covenant with the children of Israel..."

How is this reconciled?

Shalom,

Tandi
Old 04-21-2009, 12:29 PM

Exodus 16:32 And Moses said, This is the thing which the LORD commandeth, Fill an omer of it to be kept for your generations; that they may see the bread wherewith I have fed you in the wilderness, when I brought you forth from the land of Egypt.
Exodus 16:33 And Moses said unto Aaron, Take a pot, and put an omer full of manna therein, and lay it up before the LORD, to be kept for your generations.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:43 PM

When the ark was first built per God's instructions (Exodus 25:10 fwd), there had already been an instruction regarding the pot of manna. (see Exodus 16:32 fwd). When the tabernacle was set up, Moses placed the testimony (tables of stone) in the ark (Exodus 40:10). Finally, in Numbers 17:10-11, the rod of Aaron was included.

Deuteronomy 10, a message spoken by Moses at the end of the 40 years of wandering, relates back to the story of the first stage of the tabernacle instructions given in detail in Exodus.

By the time of Solomon, the pot of manna is gone (manna was no longer provided to the people) and Aaron's rod is gone (perhaps buried with Aaron-just a guess). I think that the phrase, "There was nothing in the ark save the two tables of stone, " implies that the writer was aware that some things were missing.

Hebrews 9:4 describes the tabernacle in its completeness.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Tandi

Thank you all for your very helpful input. I am still studying this, but I think it is becoming clear that at various times in the history of the Ark, one or more of the three items listed in Hebrews was inside the ark. Therefore it is not an error for Hebrews to mention all three items.

I wonder if the ark that Moses made was a small box that held the tablets and that this box was put inside the larger Ark fashioned in the wilderness.

There is a multi-page challenge to the canonicity of Hebrews that I am studying, but clearing up this one matter helps put other supposed "errors" in perspective. I am trying to be a Berean and see if these things are so rather than accept these challenges without scrutiny. The KJV should be able to stand up to all challenges. If you know of any papers already written to refute challenges to canonicity, I would appreciate knowing of them.

Thank you again for your help. I may have more questions for you.

Shalom,

Tandi