General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:24 PM

Default Signing Bibles

What do you think about having people sign your Bible? Why do we do that? I don't like signing Bibles, probably because I just don't understand it (although I've done it so as to not offend someone). I've never had an urge to get someone to sign my Bible. If you have people sign your Bible, why do you do it? If you sign people's Bibles, why do you do it? I'm not picking a fight about it. I just don't understand it.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Forum Administrator

The only person I'd want to sign a book is the author. I have autographed books, and I have autographed head shots of science fiction actors. The Lord is too busy preparing a place for me to come down and sign his book for me.

There's no way I'd let a man sign my Bible.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:52 PM

Default Re: "Signing Bibles"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaplainPaul View Post
What do you think about having people sign your Bible? Why do we do that? I don't like signing Bibles, probably because I just don't understand it (although I've done it so as to not offend someone). I've never had an urge to get someone to sign my Bible. If you have people sign your Bible, why do you do it? If you sign people's Bibles, why do you do it? I'm not picking a fight about it. I just don't understand it.
Aloha brother,

If you feel uncomfortable about this (signing Bibles), it's probably because God the Holy Spirit is trying to tell you something.

In 50 years of being a Christian, there have been a couple of men who helped me in my study of the Bible - I never once ever thought of asking them to "sign" my Bible.

I believe that this stems from our carnal "Culture" and the elevating of "Christian celebrities" as if they were Football, Baseball, or Basketball stars; or as if they were popular or famous "politicians" or "actors" (which some of them are!)

I go along with Brandon - the only person I would ever want to sign my Bible would be my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Aloha brother,

If you feel uncomfortable about this (signing Bibles), it's probably because God the Holy Spirit is trying to tell you something.

In 50 years of being a Christian, there have been a couple of men who helped me in my study of the Bible - I never once ever thought of asking them to "sign" my Bible.

I believe that this stems from our carnal "Culture" and the elevating of "Christian celebrities" as if they were Football, Baseball, or Basketball stars; or as if they were popular or famous "politicians" or "actors" (which some of them are!)

I go along with Brandon - the only person I would ever want to sign my Bible would be my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.
George, you mean...you don't want me, the Bone-Dry Heretic Of The 21st Century, to sign your Bible? Woe is me, woe we, Jesus wept...

Alright, here comes Tony, always has to be different, always has to...

Friends, I found a center in myself a long, long time ago, and found the difference between words on a page of a book that can let a God breath through them and give eternal life, can make dead things live, and sheaves of reconstituted wood pulp bound between a piece of leather.

I got a Bible around here somewhere that Pastor Richard Jordan signed is my only one, I had, and might still have a KJV dated 1869 that was bound in leather-covered wood that I stood in line for 40 minutes to sign but the bodyguards for the Bearing Precious Seed Spanish NT scam would not let us get close enough to Dr. Ruckman for him to sign for me since the pastor we were under at the time also wanted to speak with Dr. Ruckman and ask that these people stop promoting a "KJV In Spanish" when it was I think a 1909 Valera that had been Westcott-Hortized.

Oh well, I'l sign your Bibles brothers if we ever meet, but always remember...

"Dont you listen to him Dan
He's a devil, not a man...
...cooooooool water..."

Tony Bonez
Old 05-06-2009, 04:30 AM

I have given away hundreds of Bibles. and occasionally someone I have given one to will ask me to sign it. so all I do is write them my prayer they will give themselves to the study of God's word and sign my name.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

but there is the practice of some just to get certain well known preachers to sign their Bibles. I think it is a pride issue as then they can show off who they heard and show off their signature. that motive would be wrong.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:54 AM

I had a pocket Bible which I had signed by Sam Gipp, Tim Cruse and Greg Locke. I lost it.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 AM

I got my own name embossed on the front of one of my Bibles, the feature was offered at no extra cost. Does that make me a humanist and my own final authority?

Whenever I give a Bible to someone, I always write in those little To: and From: fields that it was from God to the person, and hopefully the date of their salvation.

As for famous preachers signing Bibles, I think its very distastefull. If I did spend the day with Sam Gipp, Kent Hovind or the like, I'd ask them to sign my copy of their book, or better just have a picture taken.
Living up in Quebec, we rarely get to see any famous preachers come through here. Apparently the Doc came to my church once before I got there.

I suppose if I was ever at some publicity event for a new MV (as if!), I'd ask one of them to sign it, and if they asked why, I'd say because they're your words, not Gods!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Forum Administrator

I should add:

My name is embossed on the front of my Allan PM1. That's not having my Bible autographed.

When my son was very young, I bought him a Bible and wrote a message on the front page of it and signed it. That's not an "autographed Bible" either.

Like many things, "I know it when I see it." Giving my Bible to somebody and asking them to scribble on it for me just isn't gonna happen.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaplainPaul View Post
ChaplainPaul, as I understand it from your post above, you have actually signed Bibles yourself. So why not ask the people who are asking you to sign them? I have a feeling it's because they admire you and associate you with helping them understand the Bible in some way, but that's just a guess. The only men who have ever signed my old Bible are old preachers who have made an unwavering effort over many years to defend the KJV without apology.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:32 PM

It's only happened to me once. I was so stunned by such a request I didn't know what to do, so I wrote a reference to John 4:34. It was very flattering and made me feel prideful. I'm prepared now for such requests, and know how to kindly decline or redirect. Personally, I won't sign as a celebrity (which I'm certainly not!). I just don't feel good about it. I don't mind writing something if I'm giving a gift,though. I could see where having a short note from a godly man inside your Bible might be an encouragement. Only stay humble!