Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
See the and before every change of subject in the text. This is done in the above mentioned Parallelisms, and separates such sentences into multiple statements.
if what you say is true, that the "AND" denotes a change of subject, then...

Genesis 1:1-2 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

...there must also be a change in subject between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2?

I think a few people here would disagree with that deduction, but I accept your answer. NO MISTAKES or contradictions in the KJV Bible. Thank you for the answer

Last edited by geologist; 03-15-2009 at 06:31 AM. Reason: correction
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-15-2009, 06:33 AM

What do you see in those two verses, that would form a contradiction. And how do you interpret them?.

Parallelisms do not apply in every case, only where they are evident.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by geologist View Post
No, it has not. There has been plenty of opinions expressed, but no clear answer.
What?
Now wait a minute, hold your horses, stop the parade...

I answered the question clearly in post no. 7, and Swordsman echoed my answer in post no. 15.

At that point you stated "your answer makes the most sense, so far."

So it's obvious the answer has been provided brother.
There isn't a flaw in it, and there are no contradictions in Genesis either.

I can certainly understand how one could get confused over it, but
some careful study and the Holy Spirit taught me this a long time ago.
Did you honestly start this thread thinking there were contradictions in your Bible? I doubt it, since you already stated "no mistakes." It's a good question though.

Last edited by Bro. Parrish; 03-15-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
REPOSTING this because I don't think anyone ever reads the last post on a page.
Brother Luke, that my brother, is hilarious!

Perhaps we should conduct a poll: "Who reads the last post on a page?"
Old 03-15-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debau View Post
Sounds like you may be driving at Water(dwelling) birds in Gen 1 and Land birds Gen 2. Possibly "the open firmament of heaven" in Gen 1:20 is the air above the waters, the firmament being associated with water. They are water birds. Adam named the Land birds "of the air" in Gen 2:19.
No contradiction, just a summary creation account in Gen 1 explained in further detail in Gen 2.

Can you breed a duck with a pigeon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
EDIT: Debau, how can it be a summary.. when birds are formed before man in Gen 1 and then birds are formed after man in Gen 2. It's a completely different account. Genesis 1 account is an overview of day 1 through 6. Genesis 2 is an account of what happened in day 6 in the garden in Eden.

I contend it is not a different creation account. Consider, did God create Eve at the same time as Adam, as in Genesis 1, or later, as in Genesis 2?
I believe Genesis 1 is a summary account, with Genesis 2 further explaining the details.
Gen 2:19a is just a recap and not an indication of any animals created after man.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:12 PM

Genesis 1 Order

Day 1 - Earth, Light
Day 2 - Firmament
Day 3 - Dry Land and Herbs
Day 4 - Stars Planets etc
Day 5 - Birds, Fish
Day 6 - Beasts of Earth, Man and Woman

Genesis 2 Order

The account begins with Day 6 in Gen 2:7

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Gen 2:5 places the time period AFTER day 3, Gen 2:4 places it after day 4 (the heavens, plural) and Gen 2:7 confirms it as day 6.

Gen 2:8 is God creating the garden in Eden. Herbs and greenery were already everywhere else, as seen in verse 5.

God then proceeds to create great rivers the spring forth from the centre of Eden and go out. This means one of two things. Either Eden had a supernatural spring that came forth from somewhere (perhaps a Rock), or it was a massive area with a mountain range in it.

Verse 19, God forms animals

Gen 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

The order contradicts Genesis 1 - beasts first, birds second, and no fish (interestingly enough, no fish is named in the Bible except the whale, which God named himself in Genesis 1).

In Genesis 2:19 Adam is already created. This is a seperate account. This is not the same account as Gen 1, because Adam was created AFTER the birds and AFTER the beasts. Here, we have God creating them in front of, or very near Adam, and Adam names them.

So to sum up again - God creates everything in Genesis 1. Genesis 1 gives the correct order of creation. Genesis 2 gives more detail in regards to DAY 6, covering not only man's creation, but also how God created him (from dust, and breathed into him the breath of life), and how God created woman from man, and why. Genesis 2 is not an overview of Day 1 through 6, but only Day 6.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
The order contradicts Genesis 1 - beasts first, birds second, and no fish (interestingly enough, no fish is named in the Bible except the whale, which God named himself in Genesis 1).

(attention to a correction: Whales are not fish, they are mammals)

So to sum up again - God creates everything in Genesis 1. Genesis 1 gives the correct order of creation. Genesis 2 gives more detail in regards to DAY 6, covering not only man's creation, but also how God created him (from dust, and breathed into him the breath of life), and how God created woman from man, and why. Genesis 2 is not an overview of Day 1 through 6, but only Day 6.
I am in total agreement with your last statement.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post
Did you honestly start this thread thinking there were contradictions in your Bible? I doubt it, since you already stated "no mistakes." It's a good question though.
No, I did not start this thread thinking there was a real contradiction in the KJV Bible. I started this thread to find out why there was the appearance of a contradiction concerning where the fowls came from; the waters or the ground.

I was honestly looking for the answer to this particular question, but I did so in full faith, knowing that there was an answer out there. And there was.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by geologist View Post
No, I did not start this thread thinking there was a real contradiction in the KJV Bible. I started this thread to find out why there was the appearance of a contradiction concerning where the fowls came from; the waters or the ground.

I was honestly looking for the answer to this particular question, but I did so in full faith, knowing that there was an answer out there. And there was.
Fair enough brother, in that case I salute you for asking it.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Bro. Parrish

Here's a question...
Can you guys think of some other special creatures that God may have "whipped up" or "specially made" after the main creation for various purposes?