Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Lively Stone

Default Who is the God of this world?

Thought we should get this thread going.

This is a doctrine that most will say is Satan. Even the modern Bible versions have taken the liberty to clarify that Satan is the god of thls world.

What say ye?

Danny
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Graceismine

I was reading these very chapters this morning. It doesn't say who the "god of this world" is. Looking back to chapter three, Moses put the vail over his face and the minds of the Israelites were blinded.

Is there a connection do you suppose? I would like to know who you think "the god of this world" is.

Grace.......
Old 02-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Forum Administrator

Ephesians 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
The KJV clearly has lower-case god, and so the phrase should be understood not to refer to God.

Also see Matthew 4:8-9 where Satan tempts the Lord. I don't think the offer can be considered disingenuous.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:14 AM
John1717

Who smote Job?

Most would say Satan, but that isn't so.
In this verse,

Job 2:3 and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause.

thou - - - Satan

movedst me - - - God

against him - - - Job

What can Satan do that God dos not permit? NOTHING Job 2:6...but save his life. < - - - Satan does as commanded

Thus GOD is the ONLY SOVEREIGN in all HIS universe

Deuteronomy 32:39 See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1717 View Post
Thus GOD is the ONLY SOVEREIGN in all HIS universe

Our understanding of God's sovereignty must be informed by the entirety of Scripture. Some insist that everything that happens is God's will, and yet the Lord said these words:
Jeremiah 19:5 They have built also the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire for burnt offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, nor spake it, neither came it into my mind:
It's clear to me that the acts spoken of here aren't God's will. How could God claim that he didn't command it and that it didn't even come into his mind, if it was his will?

So, while God is sovereign, his will includes his creation having free will, unless we are to throw out verses such as the above, or take as empty the implication that Satan actually could offer Kingdoms to Jesus Christ.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:44 AM
John1717

Satan's offer was empty to Christ who OWNS all things, his offer is NOT empty to men.

The acts referred to in Jeremiah weren't His will, He had NOT commanded them, but He was NOT unaware of them, if something occurs it is because
He allows it to occur

He didn't 'command' Adam to disobey, but He wasn't unware that it would happen, and He did allow it to happen. In HIS sovereignty.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1717 View Post
Satan's offer was empty to Christ who OWNS all things, his offer is NOT empty to men.
John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
I don't really see the problem in acknowledging that Satan is the "god of this world," since it is said in the Bible, and Christ himself said his kingdom was not of this world. Also, by claiming Satan's temptation was empty, isn't that saying it wasn't a temptation?

Just looking around me, it would seem that prophecy of Christ's kingdom on earth is not yet fulfilled.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:15 AM
John1717

I'm sorry, I DO acknowledge that Satan is the little g of this world, BUT the little g can do nothing the big G does not allow.

Can't find it right now, but to paraphrase, God can not look upon sin. But there is no sin He is unaware of.

God can not be tempted.

That doesn't mean that Satan wasn't tempting Him

God doesn't make deals, but that doesn't mean millions of people don't try to make deals with God, does it?
Old 02-02-2008, 01:43 AM
Graceismine

It has always been my opinion that Satan is the god of this world. I would just like to know what Lively Stone is getting at.

Satan is also the "prince of this world" indicating that he is a ruler.

John 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

Satan is an angel. He rebelled against God in Heaven and was cast down into the air with access to the earth. When he rebelled God could not kill him because he is an immortal being. I believe that God has allowed Satan to have power on earth until the time comes when his works are destroyed.

1 John 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

God is righteous and cannot go against His own integrity. Jesus will destroy the works of Satan and I believe He is doing it by forming a "New Creation". We defeat Satan's works every time we have victory over him. That final victory will be death and Satan's power and rebellion against God will be dealt with once and for all.

......................Grace
Old 02-02-2008, 05:26 AM
John1717

Quote:
forming a "New Creation"
Where?

When?