Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:47 AM
mattcarp

Default Where did fowl come from?

Genesis 1:20 says that the fowl came out of the waters: "And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven."

But Genesis 2:19 says that fowl came out of the ground: "And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: ..."

Am I missing something?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 09-07-2008, 01:27 PM

Are you asking this question out of actual interest in the topic, or are you asking to try and prove that there may be a contradiction in the KJB?
I ask this question because it is your first post, and there tend to be a lot of people who wish to join this site to start arguments against the KJB rather than join the site for its purpose, to defend the KJB.
I hope you do not take offence at this question, but we are commanded by the Word of God to test the spirits

1st John 4:1
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Genesis 1
20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.

God created a divide between the waters and called one part the firmament (Heaven)
7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so

God also called the dry land Earth
10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

While fowl are stated in gen 1:20 as coming from the waters, the passage in gen 2:19 refers to gen 1:22 when God blessed them saying be fruitful, and multiply. let fowl multiply in the earth

All seabirds must return to land to lay eggs and rear their young. so yes they would be formed in the second instance from the earth.
We also have to remember that not all fowl can fly.

I hope I have communicated that well enough and answered your question.

So we can see that even the Birds in the air do what the Word of God commands them

Last edited by peopleoftheway; 09-07-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:00 PM

In the context of all verses where fowl is used in chapter one you will see God is not calling the fowl from the sea, but is commanding in General that the fowl of the air come forth and multiply. Basically God formed sea creatures and creatures of the air on the same day.

this however does not in support of Dawinism (evolution) that birds came from fish that is deffinatley not what the verse is saying.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:55 AM
mattcarp

@chette777

Could you please expand on your comment that God is not calling the fowl from the sea? As I understand it, Gen 1:20 says that both the moving creature and the fowl were brought forth from the waters.

@peopleoftheway

I ask the question as a Bible-believer seeking to get input on a passage I do not understand. I generally do not frequent forums, but have been unable to find any materials on this topic -- hence my joining.

I agree with your comments about fowl coming from the waters (Gen 1:20) and reproducing on the earth (Gen 1:22), but do not understand how you can say that Gen 2:19 refers to Gen 1:22.

Gen 2:19 "And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; ..." or to simplify: "...out of the ground the LORD God formed ... every fowl of the air"

The word "formed" is also used in verse 7 - "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." In this case the word "formed" refers to the creation of Adam, not the ongoing reproduction of mankind.

The usage of the word in these two verses and also the general meaning of the word leads me to believe that the word "formed" refers to original creation not reproduction.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcarp View Post
Genesis 1:20 says that the fowl came out of the waters: "And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven."

But Genesis 2:19 says that fowl came out of the ground: "And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: ..."

Am I missing something?
Where did fowl come from?

"And God said..." Fowl, like all creation, came from the Creator. God said. That's sufficient for me.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 PM

It is just a general comand to be formed. the sea was separated and he called the fish of the sea, we next see God calling the fowl to fly above above the earth. God combined his command of creation of fish and fowl in one sentence.

he is not saying he created them from the seas. the later verse verifies he made the fowl from the earth or ground. God's word does not contradict the coma gives you the separation of the fish and the fowl.

Some use that verse to teach evolutionary creationism.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:39 AM

Peopleoftheway:--- Good Post and it is good to be on the alert for "intruders".
----------- ------- ----- -------- ------ ----- -----
Mattcarp:--- Hello. Try this website for a comment on those two verses. I just looked it up and it makes sense to me. Use your cursor and mouse to click/find the various chapters/verses.

http://eword.gospelcom.net/comments/...l/genesis1.htm

If you want a second opinion, check the commentary of Adam Clarke also-- do the google. There are other commentaries at the top of the page of the Gill Page.

Keep reading Genesis. Soooo many Christians nowadays are clueless of so many statements and references that are made in the New Testament...simply because they have not read the first Book of The Written Word of God. Read on!

Last edited by PB1789; 09-09-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcarp View Post

@peopleoftheway

I ask the question as a Bible-believer seeking to get input on a passage I do not understand. I generally do not frequent forums, but have been unable to find any materials on this topic -- hence my joining.

I agree with your comments about fowl coming from the waters (Gen 1:20) and reproducing on the earth (Gen 1:22), but do not understand how you can say that Gen 2:19 refers to Gen 1:22.

Gen 2:19 "And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; ..." or to simplify: "...out of the ground the LORD God formed ... every fowl of the air"

The word "formed" is also used in verse 7 - "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." In this case the word "formed" refers to the creation of Adam, not the ongoing reproduction of mankind.

The usage of the word in these two verses and also the general meaning of the word leads me to believe that the word "formed" refers to original creation not reproduction.

Firstly Welcome, I am Glad that you are asking the question as a bible believer, there do tend to be those who join just to post questions that would oppose such a belief. I hope no offence was taken from my testing your motives.

Isaiah 43:7
Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

In regards to the quote about the word formed referring to the original creation of Adam, everything in this World and above it was formed by God, for God and as we speak is being formed by God. The passage is referring to life formed from eggs/chicks when Adam had all these beasts and fowl to name, he also would have had to name the young, hence the formation from eggs-chick-fowl.
In My Bible which I had passed down to me from My Grandfather, there is a small statement he has written in the back pages among other notes and it always makes me smile when I read the complexity of the statement yet the simplicity to understand it. It is simply this

God Forms
devil Deforms
Christ Conforms
Old 09-16-2008, 06:22 AM
mattcarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway View Post
Isaiah 43:7
Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

In regards to the quote about the word formed referring to the original creation of Adam, everything in this World and above it was formed by God, for God and as we speak is being formed by God.
The verse in Isaiah refers to God's original work of creating mankind. The words "created", "formed", and "made" all point to the time that He gave mankind a shape or form using the dust of the ground.

I do not think that we are being formed by God today. He formed/created/made Adam (from the dust of the ground) and Eve (out of Adam's rib) and since then mankind has continued to reproduce with the same form that He designed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway View Post
The passage is referring to life formed from eggs/chicks when Adam had all these beasts and fowl to name, he also would have had to name the young, hence the formation from eggs-chick-fowl.
The verse says "out of the ground the Lord God formed ... every fowl of the air". This cannot refer to reproduction (eggs/chicks) or even to creation of additional fowl because it says every fowl of the air -- some fowl of the air had already been created out of the water.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:52 AM
mattcarp

After thinking more about the use of the word "formed", this is my current understanding these passages:

1) Genesis 1:20 "And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly ... fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven."

Some fowl emerged out of the water.

2) Genesis 1:24 "And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so."

The Bible does not explicitly say so, but I believe that other, non-flying fowl were created in this verse (on the sixth day).

3) Genesis 2:19 "And out of the ground the LORD God formed ... every fowl of the air;"

This is not saying that the fowl emerged out of the ground. Instead God took ground (i.e. dirt or soil) and made it into the shape(s) of fowl. God formed the fowl out of dirt, similar to how He formed Adam out of the dust of the ground.

The fowl that had emerged out of the water in Genesis 1:20 were still made out of dirt.

Last edited by mattcarp; 09-16-2008 at 07:00 AM.