Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:32 AM

What "more sure word of prophecy" is the Apostle Peter referring to? Is it all prophecy in general or is it the "more sure word of prophecy" that Jesus Christ brings to all true believers every spiritual blessing in Heavenly places?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 08-29-2008, 12:10 PM

II Peter 1:19-21

19. We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20. Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
Peter is talking about something that he had - something written down that he could read. Back up in the chapter and let it all come together.
II Peter 3:13-16

13. Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance;
14. Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me.
15. Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance.
16. For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
Peter knew all about the Second Coming of Christ as he was an eyewitness of it - or had a preview of it if you will. But he also had scripture (OT +) that he considered "more sure" than his own experience. Peter is absolutely talking about the scripture.

Be sure to notice the Second Advent reference "until the day dawn" within the verse in question.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
I John 5:13

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
"If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God..." (1 John 5:9-13).

"But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen" (2 Peter 3:18).
Old 08-29-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
II Peter 1:19-21

19. We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20. Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
Peter is talking about something that he had - something written down that he could read. Back up in the chapter and let it all come together.
II Peter 3:13-16

13. Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance;
14. Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me.
15. Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance.
16. For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
Peter knew all about the Second Coming of Christ as he was an eyewitness of it - or had a preview of it if you will. But he also had scripture (OT +) that he considered "more sure" than his own experience. Peter is absolutely talking about the scripture. [/COLOR]
I agree with you that Peter is certainly speaking about Holy Scripture. I discern, however, that in the context of his writing He is focused specifically on Jesus Christ as being preeminant in all things.

"For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount" (2 Peter 1:16-18).

Wasn't Peter referring to the eyewitness experience He had on the Mount of Transfiguration? When they lifted their eyes and saw no man save Jesus only?

Last edited by Forrest; 08-29-2008 at 12:57 PM.