Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Beth

Default Pastors

Quote:
You need to learn to show a little grace to those who disagree with you. After all, the Lord has been patient with you when you were a "little off" in your understanding of the Bible.
This is what I was told re: a debate I had with a 53 year old Pastor.

How much time do we give Pastors to rightly divide the Word of God? Pastors that have had a flock under them for I don't know how long?

I understand there will be differences even between different Pastors, although, I think we should be able to ask questions and have them back up their teaching with scripture.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 04-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Brother Mike

Well, age should have nothing to do with it.

I think the amount of time needed is directly proportional to what is asked and how much is asked. Also in play is how available he is to do the study. Or how much he wants to do it.

Given the requirements of 1Timoty 3:1-7, though, he should be a mature Christian and have better than the layman teaching abilities which should point to a more rapid response.

Be respectful and give him a reasonable amount of time. Although what constitutes reasonable, is open to your interpretation.

But all-in-all, I think a week is reasonable, IMHO.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Mike View Post
Well, age should have nothing to do with it.

I think the amount of time needed is directly proportional to what is asked and how much is asked. Also in play is how available he is to do the study. Or how much he wants to do it.

Given the requirements of 1Timoty 3:1-7, though, he should be a mature Christian and have better than the layman teaching abilities which should point to a more rapid response.

Be respectful and give him a reasonable amount of time. Although what constitutes reasonable, is open to your interpretation.

But all-in-all, I think a week is reasonable, IMHO.
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense!

Re: age or how long he has had a flock under his teaching, you would assume he has preached on the whole counsel of God.

Last edited by Beth; 04-04-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:27 AM

Remember everyone matures at differnt rates of time. however there are two classes of Christians taught in the NT. Carnal and Spiritual. some carnal Christians are Pastors and their maturity level is below that spiritually of a laity who is completely occupied (filled) and yielded to the Holy Spirit.

that is why we as pastors are subject to a greater judgement.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:58 AM
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
that is why we as pastors are subject to a greater judgement.
Is there a particular passage you are referring to (ie. where do you get this from)?

The only passage I can think of is this:

James 3:1-2 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

Master means teacher, instructor.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:50 PM

[QUOTE Master means teacher, instructor.[/QUOTE]

Correct master does mean teacher, instructor. Ephesians 4:11 places one office given as Pastors and teachers. Pastors are teachers, and are exhorted to be apt to teach. so if master is teacher and that master is under greater condemnation for what he teaches.

you know your Bible pretty good. if I forget to quote a verse exactly I am sure you know which I am refering too.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:18 AM
jerry

All pastors are to be apt to teach - therefore they would be included in what James was speaking about, as would all other teachers.

Though I do believe Ephesians refers to five different gifts given to the church: apostles and prophets (who laid the foundation for the church), evangelists (who travel around, like some kind of missionary), pastors and teachers (the "and" in both the Greek and English indicating there are two types of people referred to here - that are given to each church, not just one).