Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Lively Stone

Bro. Jerry

You are some piece of work brother. I will pray that you recieve some Godly, Holy Ghost anger management.

It is not what you know that hurts you, it is what you think you know that just ain't so.

Bro. Danny
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-06-2008, 12:34 AM
jerry

I am not angry at all - but I am sure we could all use one another's prayers, especially in the area of discernment. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:36 PM
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
Hm, links to cult theology. For those who are interested, do research on how seriously off on doctrine the Shepherd Chapel is.

The doctrine that Christians today somehow are the lost tribes of Israel is called Anglo-Israelism, and is pure cultic nonsense. It is not Bible, and is false teaching. Some of the proponents of this doctrine are Herbert Armstrong and his Worldwide Church of God. We also see this junk promoted by Dan Brown, who wrote the book the Davinci Code to promote this and other false doctrines and to undermine the Bible and true Christianity.
Here is an article exposing some of the beliefs of Shepherd's Chapel - which was linked to earlier in this thread in support of the Lost Tribes heresy:

http://www.letusreason.org/Poptea4.htm
Old 02-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Beth

I read through this thread and I'm pretty sure I agree with you on the points you are making. although, I was confused by this statement
Quote:

P.S. I don't believe in Yahweh, which is a pagan god.
Isn't Yahweh an alternate spelling of Jehovah?

A name of God used in the O.T.
Quote:
Psalms 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:24 PM
jerry

No, Yahweh is a name created by higher critics, using a critical text without vowels - so they supplied their own and came up with that name. However, there is a lot of proof that the vowels were never lost, but were always a part of the preserved text. And Jehovah is the name that we find there.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Beth

Quote:
No, Yahweh is a name created by higher critics, using a critical text without vowels - so they supplied their own and came up with that name. However, there is a lot of proof that the vowels were never lost, but were always a part of the preserved text. And Jehovah is the name that we find there.
I guess the information I found in my Swordsearcher software is wrong then?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:24 PM
jerry

It depends on what module says what. Brandon specifies very clearly on his Swordsearcher website that he does not endorse or agree with every statement made in these commentaries, books, etc. - but has included them as tools, to be used discerningly and comparing what they say with the Bible itself.

American Tract Society Dictionary says this: In the Hebrew Bible, it is always written with the vowels of one or the other of these words. Its ancient pronunciation is by many thought to have been Yahweh, but this is not certain.

From a quick search for entries for Yahweh, I do not see any of them that give a history of this name - I see some commentators with a preference or liking for it - but that in itself neither proves or disproves it.

Actually, from what I recall, Brandon already posted a link showing where the name came from earlier in this thread. You may profit from reading through it.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Beth

Quote:
It depends on what module says what. Brandon specifies very clearly on his Swordsearcher website that he does not endorse or agree with every statement made in these commentaries, books, etc. - but has included them as tools, to be used discerningly and comparing what they say with the Bible itself.

American Tract Society Dictionary says this: In the Hebrew Bible, it is always written with the vowels of one or the other of these words. Its ancient pronunciation is by many thought to have been Yahweh, but this is not certain.

From a quick search for entries for Yahweh, I do not see any of them that give a history of this name - I see some commentators with a preference or liking for it - but that in itself neither proves or disproves it.

Actually, from what I recall, Brandon already posted a link showing where the name came from earlier in this thread. You may profit from reading through it.
Does Brandon agree with this?

Quote:
P.S. I don't believe in Yahweh, which is a pagan god.
I would certainly profit from a resource that backs up that statement.

I purchased the Way of Life Encyclopedia along with SS. Do you disagree with David Cloud on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way of Life Encyclopedia
YAHWEH
An alternate spelling of Jehovah.

[See Jehovah.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way of Life Encyclopedia
JEHOVAH
A name of God used in the O.T. (Ps 83:18). It refers to God as the One who keeps covenant and mercy with His people. The true pronunciation of this name has been lost through the passing centuries since God revealed it to Israel. The Jews were afraid to pronounce the name; therefore, the original pronunciation has been lost. In the Hebrew text of the O.T. we have only the consonants JAH for the name Jehovah. The vowels are uncertain, as the pronunciation of the name was lost before vowel markings were added to the Hebrew text centuries ago. Thus Jehovah might or might not be the original pronunciation of God's name. The meaning of the name, though, is clear from Scripture.

[See God, Jehovah-Jireh, Jehovah-Nissi, Jehovah-Shalom, Jehovah-Tsidkenu, Jesus Christ.]
Any way I certainly have never read anything about Yahweh being a pagan god, but if you have anything on that I would be interested in reading it.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Beth

I found this also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fausset's Bible Dictionary
Yahweh
(See JAH; JEHOVAH.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fausset's Bible Dictionary
Jah
Condensing in one emphatic syllable all that is implied in Jahveh (or Yahweh), the true pronunciation of Jehovah (Ps 68:4); first in Ex 15:2 (Hebrew). Often in names, as Eli-jah. Only in poetry: Isa 12:2, "Jah (or Yah) Jehovah is my strength and my song"; (Isa 26:4) "in Jah (or Yah) Jehovah is the Rock of ages." The union of the two names expresses in the highest degree God's unchanging love and power. Hallelu-Jah (or Hallelu-Yah) is "Praise ye Jah (or Yah)". Ps 89:8, "O Jehovah, God of hosts, who, as Thou, is a strong Jah (or Yah)?" the emphatic concentration of the name "Jehovah." The spirit impressed with a sense of God feels the need of repeating frequently that name in which His being is comprehended (Hengstenberg).
Old 02-13-2008, 04:46 PM
jerry

Brandon posted a link in another thread. Here it is as well:

http://av1611.com/kjbp/ridiculous-kj...hova-YHVH.html

Some people do think it is an alternate spelling of Jehovah - I do not believe it is; therefore I think they are wrong on that particular point. Please read the article, as you will find it informative.