Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:22 PM

Greenbear,

His Grace and Mercy are sometimes beyond our understanding and past our finding out. Just keep on reading the KJV.

If you trusted Christ for your salvation then you are saved. No tongues needed, your baptism into Christ is spiritual no outward signs will be visible. But you will know because the Word of God becomes more clear and the Holy Ghost begins to move in your life to teach you the word, convict you of sin and gives you a heart to tell others of what Jesus Has done for you.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 PM

Thanks for your kind response, chette777.

Back in the mid-90's? I heard a christian radio program railing against a book called "New Age Bible Versions" by Gail Riplinger. Always the contrarian, I knew I had to get a copy of that book. I went to a christian bookstore to inquire about purchasing the book and the owner said, "If you asked me for poison to drink, I wouldn't give it to you; neither would I sell you that book!" So I ordered it online.

Although I already preferred the KJV for it's belles lettres when I saw the attack on doctrine in the copyrighted versions I put away my NIV, NKJ, et al, and stopped with the parallel Bible study. I hope to explore the question on this board of whether it is an inspired version, or a faithful translation of the textus receptus. Either way, I have no doubt that God has faithfully preserved His Word through the ages on earth.

My entry into christianity some years ago was confusing but the Lord faithfully leads His children into all truth as far as they are willing to follow. My understanding of scripture really started to take off when I discovered dispensationalism. So much confusion was wiped away with the simple concept that not all books of the Bible were addressed to the Church.

This seems to be a more serious board than others I've visited. Hopefully, this will be an impetus to start studying more. I'm very interested in discussion of doctrinal and prophetic topics. My husband and I feel so strongly about KJVO that we can't attend a church that doesn't see it the same way, right or wrong. We just can't bring ourselves to listen to other translations knowing the facts about them.

Last edited by greenbear; 05-16-2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: capitalizing "Word"
Old 05-16-2009, 10:42 PM

Default retraction?

My entry into christianity some years ago was confusing but the Lord faithfully leads His children into all truth as far as they are willing to follow. My understanding of scripture really started to take off when I discovered dispensationalism. So much confusion was wiped away with the simple concept that not all books of the Bible were addressed to the Church.

I can see how my statement might be offensive to non-dispensationalists. No offense intended this is just what I believe scripture teaches. I'm not perfect after all; I could work on my diplomacy skills a bit.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:37 AM

Default RE: " Do Roman Catholics Go To Hell?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbear View Post

I can see how my statement might be offensive to non-dispensationalists. No offense intended this is just what I believe scripture teaches. I'm not perfect after all; I could work on my diplomacy skills a bit.
Aloha sister,

Don't worry about your "diplomacy skills". If you "speak the truth in love" [Ephesians 4:15], and some are offended - that's their problem!

Your testimony "rings true" ("the Lord faithfully leads His children into all truth as far as they are willing to follow"), and I believe that you are sincere in your search for the truth, so always speak from your heart and don't worry about the "naysayers". The Apostle Paul didn't "temper" his speech out of concern for "gnat strainers", and neither did the Lord Jesus Christ.

Their are plenty of Threads & Posts relating to your concerns I would suggest two to begin with:

http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...19&postcount=1

The above Post is two essays written by Moses LemuelRaj (a Christian brother from India) and are among the very best that I have read (in 40 years of study) in relation to the issue of "Inspiration" of Scripture.

http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...78&postcount=1

The above Link is an essay that I wrote about 36 years ago as to why I believe in the King James Bible. The essay is a "testimony" (from the King James Bible) as to what the Holy Bible has to say about the "words" of God.

And as far as "Dispensationalism" is concerned - I would venture to say that the majority of the active members on the Forum are "moderate" Dispensationalists. There are some brothers here that are not, but we love them just the same, and count them as dear brothers in Christ and fellow members of "the household of God". [Ephesians 2:19]

I had a little bit to say about "Rightly Dividing God's Word's" on the AV1611 Bible Forums about 7 months ago, and if you are interested you might check out that Thread also at this Link:
http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...71&postcount=1

Welcome to the Forum sister - we are very tolerant of the brethren - UNLESS they turn out to be Bible "correctors" (or Bible "deniers"); "trouble makers"; or "Hereticks" (false teachers). We refuse to tolerate any of the preceding (at least not for very long) in accordance with the Scriptural commands:

2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word ofGod: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

Titus 3:10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;

Again, welcome to the AV1611 Forums - I hope that we may be of some benefit to you in your Christian walk with the Lord.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:49 PM

Thanks, George. I'll be sure to read the threads you linked. I'm actually quite pleased with myself that I found this board. I'm not used to having the feeling that there may be a group of believers that just might be in agreement with my husband and myself on what we consider to be essential to rightly dividing the Word of Truth. I assume this board is mostly premillennial. Have to see how the board views Calvinism vs. Arminianism, both of which I reject.

1 Timothy 2.4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

-God does not restrict his offer of salvation to a select few.
-Eternal life by definition cannot be lost once received or it is a meaningless concept.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:04 PM

George, I just read your thread on Calvinism/Arminianism. I guess we agree there, too!
Old 05-17-2009, 04:30 PM

I am new here. I used to be Roman Catholic. I even taught Sunday School in my late teens. A friend witnessed to me and I knelt down and repeated her prayer. However, I didn't understand anything yet - nor was I truly "saved." After that point, however, I began to compare the Catholic Bible I had with the Bible the Christian friend had given me. I found many differences and was confused. The Catholics had ten commandments listed, but they weren't the same as the other Bible. The commandment about idols was missing and the one about coveting was divided into two. Very subtle yet a marked difference. After this discovery, I laid about 6 Bibles side by side (I didn't know about or have a Bible Concordance yet) and began studying in earnest. I thought that, with all the different Bibles, I was sure to get the truth. It just left me more confused!! About 5 years later, I was baptized and then I had the guidance of the Holy Spirit. I gravitated towards the KJV and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, I had no problem understanding the "old English" - actually, it's quite clear, unlike a lot of the other translations! I've stuck with that version - even though people have tried to sway me into accept other versions.

Back to Catholicism. Because of the focus on many wrong teachings, if a Catholic chooses to stay with the Roman Catholic Church, at the very least, they'll be confused and, at the very worst, they'll be LOST for putting their faith in the POPE - as the VICAR (which means Jesus' representative - literally "His replacement!" on earth). This is something I cannot abide by or accept as being in any way truly Christian.

This places a MAN - a human - as one who can make changes and require that the entire church trust him, just as they would Christ.

The Roman Catholic Church changed many things along its long history, including killing Protestants during the Inquisition. Basically, it was accept the RCC or die! Many martyrs chose death.

I think that should tell us the truth of the matter. I know that I was LOST while I was still entrenched in the Roman Catholic Church.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:48 PM

Greenbear,

you will find we try to stay centered on Scripture, simple in teaching it and ardent in defending it.

There are places of solace for those of like minds. it only takes time to find them.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 AM

Hi there Jassy Welcome Brother/Sister?

I have replied to your other introduction thread welcoming you further but may I just ask you a simple question I picked up on from your statement above, possibly the way it was worded but I just would like to clarify..

Quote:
Originally posted by Jassy
About 5 years later, I was baptized and then I had the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
I hope that you understand that we receive the Holy Spirit upon salvation and not through baptism? Baptism is a step we take after salvation, a public step of declaring we are dead, buried and resurrected with Christ, it has no saving grace nor any power to impart the Holy Spirit.

It could just be the way you typed that sentence but I would just like to clarify that.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:51 PM

Jassy wrote:
"The commandment about idols was missing"

I'm gonna have to ask about this one. Missing from where?

Here are two "sanctioned" Catholic English Bibles. RSV with deuterocannon I think is the other.

Exodus 20:4
NAB
You shall not carve idols for yourselves in the shape of anything in the sky above or on the earth below or in the waters beneath the earth;

Douay-Rheims
Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, nor of those things that are in the waters under the earth.

Footnote following it in the Douay-Rheims:
4 "A graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing"... All such images, or likenesses, are forbidden by this commandment, as are made to be adored and served; according to that which immediately follows, thou shalt not adore them, nor serve them. That is, all such as are designed for idols or image-gods, or are worshipped with divine honour. But otherwise images, pictures, or representations, even in the house of God, and in the very sanctuary so far from being forbidden, are expressly authorized by the word of God. See Ex. 25. 15, and etc.; chap. 38. 7; Num. 21. 8, 9; 1 Chron. or Paralip. 28. 18, 19; 2 Chron. or Paralip. 3. 10.

Sources:
http://www.drbo.org/chapter/02020.htm

http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/exodus/exodus20.htm

No offense but I'm uncertain about your remark.

Here are more:

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
Never make your own carved idols or statues that represent any creature in the sky, on the earth, or in the water.

King James Bible
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

American King James Version
You shall not make to you any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

American Standard Version
Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Bible in Basic English
You are not to make an image or picture of anything in heaven or on the earth or in the waters under the earth:

Darby Bible Translation
Thou shalt not make thyself any graven image, or any form of what is in the heavens above, or what is in the earth beneath, or what is in the waters under the earth:

English Revised Version
Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor the likeness of any form that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Webster's Bible Translation
Thou shalt not make to thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

World English Bible
"You shall not make for yourselves an idol, nor any image of anything that is in the heavens above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Young's Literal Translation
Thou dost not make to thyself a graven image, or any likeness which is in the heavens above, or which is in the earth beneath, or which is in the waters under the earth.

Source: http://bible.cc/exodus/20-4.htm

Don't take me the wrong way. I'm not calling you a liar. But I don't see where its removed from.