General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:15 PM

Default Something to consider...

Invariably, the same subject(s) will be revisited on this Forum. We should avoid instructing someone to simply "...search the Forum...the subject has already been discussed." My opinion is that we should discuss the subject even if it has already been covered. You have the option of course to not participate. Here's some reasons why I believe it is edifying to revisit the "same" subject:
  1. Our knowledge of a particular truth expands as we grow in the Christian life. We may have some fresh new insight that the Lord has given us.
  2. It is beneficial for us to saturate our mind with the truth, even if it has already been discussed. More than likely, we will gain more knowledge of the truth as it is taught again.
  3. It gives others, including new members an opportunity to post comments and discuss the scripture.
  4. We have a Biblical example. "Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth" (2 Peter 1:12).

Others, I'm sure, can add some valid reasons it is okay to revisit the same subject.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-17-2008, 02:19 PM

Sometimes, we get a bad attitude in a discussion, and say something out of place. If someone were to just simply pull up that old discussion, they might see something one of us said that was un-Christian-like, but we all change and that same member who posted with a bad attitude may have a better attitude now. It's just better to start over and get a fresh new look at a subject than to re-hash old threads.

So yeah, I totally agree with you. In some cases it's good to link to an old thread because someone made a good post there and that way they don't have to repeat it, but most of the time it's a good idea to just start over so everyone can get involved and newbies can ask questions.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBPrincess View Post
Sometimes, we get a bad attitude in a discussion, and say something out of place. If someone were to just simply pull up that old discussion, they might see something one of us said that was un-Christian-like, but we all change and that same member who posted with a bad attitude may have a better attitude now. It's just better to start over and get a fresh new look at a subject than to re-hash old threads.

So yeah, I totally agree with you. In some cases it's good to link to an old thread because someone made a good post there and that way they don't have to repeat it, but most of the time it's a good idea to just start over so everyone can get involved and newbies can ask questions.
Quote:
In some cases it's good to link to an old thread because someone made a good post there and that way they don't have to repeat it...
That's a good point. Sometimes, I'll actually copy and "refine" or "expand" a previous post. Often, I'll re-read something and wish I would have said it differently.