Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simons "faith in the Lord Jesus Christ", can you show me that phase in the King James Bible?

If you can't can you show me something close to that phase?
Answer my question and I shall answer yours. What does the word faith mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Answer my question and I shall answer yours. What does the word faith mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simons View Post
Ok, that's fair and reasonable.

Faith is the action that revels what you believe and who you are, though it you can give prasie and glory to God.

“For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus” (Galatians 3:26).

“For by grace are ye saved [saved from the penalty of sin, which is eternal separation from God in the lake of fire] through faith [in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ]; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:” (Ephesians 2:8).

“And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus” 2 Timothy 3:15).
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simons View Post
Faith is the action that revels what you believe and who you are, though it you can give prasie and glory to God.
With all due respect, that strikes me as a very odd, and inadequate, definition.

As has been noted, faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Heb. 11:1). Our actions, except when performed in private, are seen. And even the private ones - - - oh, me - - - are seen by God.

But faith cannot be defined in one verse alone. We mustn't forget the provenace of faith: For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast (Eph. 2:8,9). In verse 8, the antecedent of "and that" is faith: faith is the gift of God. It is certainly not my acts, or anything generated by my acts.

Of course, this God-given faith will result in actions: that's what the very next verse is about: For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. But that's a far different thing than saying that faith is "the action that reveals what you believe and who you are."

Yes, my "good works," such as they are, might reveal what I believe in; or they might not. They might be misinterpreted. One of the great horrors of my life is the fear that unbelievers might say, "Oh, he did good things because he was a good man, or a nice guy." God forbid!

If you want to see the acts that reveal "who I am," look at my sins. I'm just a forgiven sinner.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
If you want to see the acts that reveal "who I am," look at my sins. I'm just a forgiven sinner.
Good, sound doctrine, brother. It is so very true when Jesus said, "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing" (John 15:5).

Nothing really does mean nothing!

I've learned to be active in simply, "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrews 12:2).
Old 10-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Good, sound doctrine, brother. It is so very true when Jesus said, "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing" (John 15:5).

Nothing really does mean nothing!
Amen and amen. Every day, sometimes several times a day, I pray the same thing: whether getting ready to take a shower (when I might slip and break my neck), or going to work when I'm tired, or witnessing, I say, "Lord, I can't do this. Without You, I can do nothing. But, 'I can do all things through Christ, who strengtheneth me,', so strengthen me, please!" Remembering those two verses, together, gets me through.

Quote:
I've learned to be active in simply, "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrews 12:2).
Amen again. But, as Ruckman says, keeping your eyes on Jesus, consistently, is the hardest thing to do in the Christian life.

But, someday, it'll be the easiest!
Old 10-04-2008, 04:25 PM

Default Re: "Faith & Works"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
With all due respect, that strikes me as a very odd, and inadequate, definition.

As has been noted, faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Heb. 11:1). Our actions, except when performed in private, are seen. And even the private ones - - - oh, me - - - are seen by God.

But faith cannot be defined in one verse alone. We mustn't forget the provenace of faith: For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast (Eph. 2:8,9). In verse 8, the antecedent of "and that" is faith: faith is the gift of God. It is certainly not my acts, or anything generated by my acts.

Of course, this God-given faith will result in actions: that's what the very next verse is about: For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. But that's a far different thing than saying that faith is "the action that reveals what you believe and who you are."

Yes, my "good works," such as they are, might reveal what I believe in; or they might not. They might be misinterpreted. One of the great horrors of my life is the fear that unbelievers might say, "Oh, he did good things because he was a good man, or a nice guy." God forbid!

Aloha brother,

I just wanted to give a double amen to your testimony. It is such a pleasure to see and hear another brother in Christ that understands that: we are NOTHING, and HE IS EVERYTHING!

Amen brother and God bless you and yours.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Default Re: "Husbands not leading"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Am I View Post
Good reply, Brother George.

If one doesn't have a relationship with Christ, it doesn't matter how one 'feels' or what one 'experiences'. Hell is full of people, I'm sure, who 'thought' they were doing the right thing, who were convinced that if they 'believed' in Jesus, they would go to Heaven.
"...Lord, Lord..."

One comment, as a 'weaker vessel':
I have noticed, and experienced that many Christian husbands not only do not lead, but are often much less mature than their wives. What would you suggest for those women, in absence of someone able to teach them?

Personally, I've tried to learn on my own, but I would love it if my husband were able to teach me. In the meanwhile, my King James Bible and the Holy Spirit teach me.
(1 John 2:27)
Aloha sister,

You have presented a very complicated situation - one which I confess is very difficult to answer. (and I certainly don't have all the answers!)

First off I believe that it behooves you to continue to be the kind of wife that you have striven to be: faithful, loving, and in submission. [1 Peter 3:1-6]

The best thing (I personally believe) that could happen to your husband would be if he would form a friendship (or friendships) with a real Bible believing Christian man. [Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.]

In the 50 years that I have been a Christian - I have found that outside of God and God's Holy word, a good Bible believing Christian friend can be a real help and a blessing in a Christian man's life. I am really blessed, in that I have at least 7 good Christian friends (all men - going back to 1968 up to the present - most live off Island) and that my wife is not in the least bit jealous of these friendships (as a matter of fact she encourages them).

In addition, although I am "friendly" with several Christian women - I have no close friendships with any woman - other than my wife, and would never seek such a friendship.

You cannot force your husband into such a beneficial "friendship", but you can pray that God would bring along some Bible believing Christian man that might befriend your husband.

One more word of caution - Unlike most women, my wife has never formed the kind of close friendships with other women that most American women form. Her entire life has been devoted to her God, her husband, and her children (in that order). And as such, most women avoid her because of her "chaste conversation coupled with fear" and "the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit".

If a Christian woman (like my wife) chooses to live her life according to the Scriptures, it may cost her some close relationships with "friends" (and possibly family), but on the other hand, because my wife has chosen to put God and Family first, she is greatly loved and appreciated - not only by myself, but by our entire family (at present - 6 grown children; 17 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren; and one grown son, who is presently at home with the Lord); and is greatly respected by all of my Christian friends; and by the community we live in.

It's a sad state of affairs that there are so many Christian wives that are more concerned with the things of God than their husbands. I attribute that to our Humanistic society that portrays Christian men as "pansies", "wimps", and effeminate "fops" (and sadly many are! ) . A real man tries to avoid such labels, but in doing so he is often influenced by the "fear of man" into avoiding living for Christ.

Pray. "Pray without ceasing". Pray that God will convict and convince your husband of his need to live his life according to the Scriptures; continue to follow the Scriptures yourself; and don't despair - It took over 20 years before I fully appreciated my wife, and another 10 years before I began to fully appreciate my Lord!

Proverbs 29:25 The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe.

Psalms 4:5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the LORD.

Psalms 73:28 But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works.

Psalms 115:11 Ye that fear the LORD, trust in the LORD: he is their help and their shield.

Psalms 118:8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:07 PM

Thank you, Brother George. I really appreciated your reply.

We've recently changed churches (long story, might tell it sometime, suffice it to say the old church was going apostate) and there are some nice men about our age. It would be wonderful if my dh would spend time with them and learn from them.

In the meanwhile, I pray, a lot, and keep things in the proper order: God, Husband, Family, Church...and then the rest.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Thank you, Brother George. I really appreciated your reply.

We've recently changed churches (long story, might tell it sometime, suffice it to say the old church was going apostate) and there are some nice men about our age. It would be wonderful if my dh would spend time with them and learn from them.

In the meanwhile, I pray, a lot, and keep things in the proper order: God, Husband, Family, Church...and then the rest.
You should share that story sister, it may prove the catylst that edifies another brother or Sister enough to leave an apostate Church behind. I too, left a Church that had begun a descent into Babylon and found a wonderful Bible Believing Baptist about 3 miles up the road Praise the Lord! If wee seek the truth, the LORD will Provide.
1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

2 Corinthians 6:14
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Stay in the Light Sister
God Bless
Old 10-05-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway View Post
You should share that story sister, it may prove the catylst that edifies another brother or Sister enough to leave an apostate Church behind. I too, left a Church that had begun a descent into Babylon and found a wonderful Bible Believing Baptist about 3 miles up the road Praise the Lord! If wee seek the truth, the LORD will Provide.
Amen. Thank you, brother. I will, but not right now...we had a full morning of Sunday School, preaching, then dinner, then more preaching and now I'm about ready for a nap. Maybe later.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Amen. Thank you, brother. I will, but not right now...we had a full morning of Sunday School, preaching, then dinner, then more preaching and now I'm about ready for a nap. Maybe later.
As the LORD move you sister, as the LORD moves you.
When you add yours, I will add my experience, then maybe together in the will of God we will encourage those on the forum that I know are struggling with ecumenism in their present church, and need the word of God to guide them in their decision.