Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Mikie View Post
I admit I'm not an "expository preacher". I'm more comfortable topically. Just a matter of preference and giftings. As a matter of fact, I'm even more comfortable as a music minister, but was lead to a few churches to try and "salvage" them (one was a Southern Baptist Church).

As for the prayer, thank you. I could use it. As one preacher friend of mine would say, "I need the prayer and you need the practice".

And if you don't have any respect for me, that's not important to me, personally. I just don't like being talked down to as stupid or concomitant by someone who disagrees with me. Except for the thesis on 1st Corinthians 12 - 14, I'm going to stop defending "Pentecostalism" on this forum.
I will continue to pray for you. When I'm in conflict with another, I find it's the best medicine.

I would just suggest that you look at the progression of this thread. I asked a question and you got defensive. And you must understand that as a member of the body of Christ, I must always test the spirit of the message someone is giving me. I am warned to do this over and over again. I certainly didn't mean to talk down to you, I see it as I called you out on a few things. To gain respect of others we will respond with meekness in the preaching of God's Word. God's Word is powerful, (all of it, we don't want to skip verses that we feel are not important) and sometimes God's Word can offend. If we use God's Word rightly then our opponent can only go to God if they are angry.

If God's Word offended you then I'm not sorry, but if I have attacked you personally then I am sorry. But please don't change my words. I never called you stupid. I looked up the meaning for concomitant and have to admit I don't get it.

I will apologize for calling you a false teacher. I don't think I have enough information to call you that as of yet. As a Pastor you did not respond in the way I am accustomed to and that's all I should have said. If you don't want to be held to the standard of a Pastor, I will only suggest that you don't put your self out there as a Pastor.

I am glad to hear that you will stop defending Pentecostalism on this forum.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 04-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Pastor Mikie

Concomitant? Yikes! I really did a typo. I meant incompetent. I've decided to go ahead and complete my thesis. But, as of right now, I won't be posting on this forum any longer. I'm kind of out of place here. I admire your convictions about the Biblical Standard and testing all things by Scriputure. I have the same convictions. What I don't care for is the obnoxiousness that has come from so many. If I wasn't a Christian, this forum would have turned me off from becoming one, because some Christians get so brutal in their defense. We have a ministry of reconciliation, not search and destroy. Defending the Word is one thing, But doing it self-righteously is quite another. Maybe I'm missing the point of a forum, so, I've noticed revangelist isn't posting anymore, I won't either.

Last edited by Pastor Mikie; 04-03-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Mikie View Post
Concomitant? Yikes! I really did a typo. I meant incompetent. I've decided to go ahead and complete my thesis. But, as of right now, I won't be posting on this forum any longer. I'm kind of out of place here. I admire your convictions about the Biblical Standard and testing all things by Scriputure. I have the same convictions. What I don't care for is the obnoxiousness that has come from so many. If I wasn't a Christian, this forum would have turned me off from becoming one, because some Christians get so brutal in their defense. We have a ministry of reconciliation, not search and destroy. Defending the Word is one thing, But doing it self-righteously is quite another. Maybe I'm missing the point of a forum, so, I've noticed revangelist isn't posting anymore, I won't either.
I'm sorry to see you go.

I wonder what an example of obnoxious is to you? For us to be self righteous we would have to be talking of our own righteousness as a way to heaven. If we boldly speak the Word of God, then this is not being self righteous.

I do know God's Word is powerful. It has convicted me over and over again.

I must just point out that the gospel of Jesus Christ is offensive to those perishing. The seeker sensitive movement has watered down the gospel message so they won't appear as you have described many of us on this forum appear. They want to make the gospel message more appealing to the world and what happens is they become the world. A little leaven, leaveneth the whole lump.

I am much more comfortable having discussions with those that boldly preach the Word of God without being ashamed of the gospel message. For someone that is lost to come to Christ they must first come to the end of themselves and this is not always a warm and fuzzy process. and it's the only way to be reconciled to God. Repentance and trusting in the atoning work of Jesus Christ.

I have left forums where the liberal Christianity made me crazy. So I can understand leaving if you don't feel you are having fellowship with like minded Christians.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:49 PM

I'll be sorry to see you go Pastor Mikie, from what I've read on these forums you have conducted yourself admirably, and with grace.

In fact it was you and revangelist's way of speaking your point of view yet allowing others to hold a different view without feeling the need to brow beat them into submission, that helped me decide to register on these forums.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedKiwi View Post
I'll be sorry to see you go Pastor Mikie, from what I've read on these forums you have conducted yourself admirably, and with grace.

In fact it was you and revangelist's way of speaking your point of view yet allowing others to hold a different view without feeling the need to brow beat them into submission, that helped me decide to register on these forums.
I agree that Revangelist and Mikie were polite. this seemed to change when I asked for interpretation of 1 Corinthians 14:20-22. and keep in mind, I never got an answer and looks as though I never will.

Joel Osteen is also polite, but that doesn't mean he does not cause harm to the name of Christ by preaching false doctrine.

All we were asking was for them to back up their preaching.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Willie

Quote Beth: I agree that Revangelist and Mikie were polite. this seemed to change when I asked for interpretation of 1 Corinthians 14:20-22. and keep in mind, I never got an answer and looks as though I never will.

Joel Osteen is also polite, but that doesn't mean he does not cause harm to the name of Christ by preaching false doctrine.

I'm new here and made myself familiar with this thread. Beth, I think you are in error, maybe not by you convictions, but by your assault. I have Baptist, Methodist and Pentecostal friends. I have places where I disagree with them in regards as to how they interpret Scripture. However, your speech was just shy of an interrogation. I don't think your interpretations are the standard. If I were in revangelist and pastor mikey's shoes, I would have walked away from you long ago. You are not someone I would want to converse with for very long. Just because you disagree with those two doesn't automatically place them in the "false teacher" category.

It also looks like if they would have answered you about 1st Corinthians 14, you would have still said the same things to and about them. You need to learn to show a little grace to those who disagree with you. After all, the Lord has been patient with you when you were a "little off" in your understanding of the Bible.

Yes, you should contend for the faith, and yes you should use the Bible to test everything. But YOU ARE NOT THE STANDARD FOR TRUTH AND ERROR. If I was choosing between being Baptist or Pentecostal based on this thread (and of course that wouldn't be wise, but just for arguments' sake), I would go Pentecostal because they don't seem as quarrelsome and haughty.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Willie

Also, Beth, I thought it was highly unfair of you to put pastor mikey and revangelist in the same category with Joel Osteen. That would be like you being put into the same category with Attila the Hun.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Connie

I agree with you Willie, well said, and it needed to be said.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post
Also, Beth, I thought it was highly unfair of you to put pastor mikey and revangelist in the same category with Joel Osteen. That would be like you being put into the same category with Attila the Hun.
I wasn't putting them in the same category, my point was just that as long as we are polite doesn't mean that we can preach what ever we want in regards to God's Word.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post
Quote Beth: I agree that Revangelist and Mikie were polite. this seemed to change when I asked for interpretation of 1 Corinthians 14:20-22. and keep in mind, I never got an answer and looks as though I never will.

I'm new here and made myself familiar with this thread. Beth, I think you are in error, maybe not by you convictions, but by your assault. I have Baptist, Methodist and Pentecostal friends. I have places where I disagree with them in regards as to how they interpret Scripture. However, your speech was just shy of an interrogation. I don't think your interpretations are the standard. If I were in revangelist and pastor mikey's shoes, I would have walked away from you long ago. You are not someone I would want to converse with for very long. Just because you disagree with those two doesn't automatically place them in the "false teacher" category.

It also looks like if they would have answered you about 1st Corinthians 14, you would have still said the same things to and about them. You need to learn to show a little grace to those who disagree with you. After all, the Lord has been patient with you when you were a "little off" in your understanding of the Bible.

Yes, you should contend for the faith, and yes you should use the Bible to test everything. But YOU ARE NOT THE STANDARD FOR TRUTH AND ERROR. If I was choosing between being Baptist or Pentecostal based on this thread (and of course that wouldn't be wise, but just for arguments' sake), I would go Pentecostal because they don't seem as quarrelsome and haughty.
It looks like you feel I need some correction. I'm open to this, if you would give me some specific examples. I did have questions as to both Revangelists and Mikie's posts and at the time I really tried to ask these questions as gingerly as possible.

Earlier on we were told that we just interpreted scripture differently and while Revangelist brought up different verses in 1 Cor 14, I thought I could ask for an interpretation of 1 Cor 14:20-22. I did not get an answer, I was only told that by asking for the interpretation that I was trying to start a fight. I do hold someone with the title Pastor to higher standards, so I guess it looks like I was being too hard on Mikie.

If you have the time please look at how the progression of the discussion took place and let me know where I went wrong. I did pray about it and in my heart I felt I was wrong to come out and call Mikie a false teacher and have already apologized for that.

I do want to learn from my brethren, so please be specific. So far when I receive criticism, I get no specifics and I'm not sure where I went wrong. post 95 is where I first asked for an interpretation of 1 Cor 14:20-22. and I haven't yet received an answer. so if it looks like I was brow beating, what I was trying to do was get an answer and you might notice that Mikie has not interpreted any scripture on this thread, so I think it is unfair for you to say that even if he would have interpreted this for me then I would have still had a problem, since I don't know how you could know that.

I really did want to challenge him to look at 1 Cor 14 in it's entirety verse by verse. This is where we all get into problems is when we have our favorite verses that we isolate. I believe that we as Christians we should be able to challenge one another with scripture, to study and show ourselves approved. I would not debate with non-believers in this way, so I also thinks it's unfair to tell me that I am pushing non-believers away from Christ, as I have been told several times.

Look at what the Pentecostal movement has done to the name of Christ. When I watch movies and in the movie the intent is to mock the Christian Church, which denomination do I see portrayed? It's usually a group that is jumping up and down and rolling around on the floor laughing, not to mention the strange babblings coming out of their mouth. It makes me ill to see Christs name defamed using their example. So yes, some of us our zealous in protecting the name of Christ.