Prayer Requests Post your prayer requests here.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:45 PM

Default Any Preachers or Teachers here

I am a Preacher and Sunday School Teacher and I am looking for advise on handling a Jr. Church issue I have.

I got a group of kids who know the Bible very well and love Gods Word, I have got 4 with learning disabilities, I have no volunteers to help. These Children are hard to handle and are disrupting the service, we just don't have enough teachers to make a separate class for these children, it's like a dog sled with a poodle in the pack.
Have any of you ever been in this situation?
What I am looking for is methods of Teaching /Preaching to two groups at once, at different paces.
Any prayer, appreciated.....

I have not been here in a while,, I am for lack of better words,,, too busy.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-02-2008, 10:42 PM

I taught Jr. Church for a few years, even without any problem kids I still would not do it myself. There was always the need for help with projects, skits, etc, plus in this day and age I feel more comfortable having another adult there just in case of any charges I was being unfair or abusive (though I never had a problem with that either). At the very worst you might need someone to go get a parent if a kid gets out of control or something while you stay with the kids, unless you have pagers in your church.

If they know the Bible well and love God's Word they must have faithful parents. Aren't there any parents at all that are available to help on a rotating basis, once a month or so? I've also had teens and other young people assist at times, besides being a huge help to me I believe the responsibility and experience was also beneficial to them, though I always tried to one other adult there too.

We also went to where we had one service a month without Jr. Church. That gave both the kids and I an opportunity to be in at least one Sunday morning service a month with the main congregation, and relieved somewhat the need for more assistance.

I'll pray for you. Otherwise I can't see how you can get around the need for an assistant.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:47 AM
sting of truth

i was a sunday school teacher for a while, had this exact same problem you're having to many kids, half were troublemakers and disturbed the other half.. i got a couple solutions/suggestions

1. smith and wesson makes a .38 that is lightweight and easy to conceal

2. find something to keep the troublemakers busy..

3. excersize your authority and put them out. -they obviously don't wanna be there anyway

4. tell the head pastor around there you need some help, go over his head if that don't help and go to his wife

if none of that helps, right as your class is about to start, quit. refuse to deal with it anymore. tell tham that you can't operate without the churches support.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:50 PM

Thank you all for your advice,
Old 03-05-2008, 04:41 PM
mgc1952

Default what I did

Hi - my wife and I team taught a class where one of the major tither's kids was the hellion. We tried everything with him. Finally we told the kid to stand in the corner (the pastor and us both dealt harder with our own kids). Before we got out of the building that day the pastor had us in the office and had us on the carpet for having the kid in the corner. Oh yes I had also spoken at a raised volume. (This was all after dealing with this kid for weeks). So we took that opportunity to quit since he said it had to be our fault that we couldn't control the kid.

Shortly after I took an associates position in another state

Moral of the story - don't mess with the biggest tither's kid if you are not the pastor- its safer to resign

Mark
Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 PM

I think one reason it was useful to have as many parents as could help out on a periodic basis was because they got to see first hand how the class was taught and how every thing, such as disciplinary issues, were handled.

It's interesting that they all seemed to expect more from their own kids and never seemed to have any problem with any disciplinary action we took with them.

I'm not sure how you knew who the biggest tither was. I believe only the treasurer should know, and he shouldn't make any effort to keep track of who's giving more than who. I know our pastor doesn't want to know.

Bibletotingunslinger, I'm still praying, and if you get a chance I'd like to know if you find something that works for you.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Thank you for the prayers, I am hoping to divide the class up,
Old 03-21-2008, 09:33 PM
evstevemd

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibletotingunslinger View Post
I am a Preacher and Sunday School Teacher and I am looking for advise on handling a Jr. Church issue I have.

I got a group of kids who know the Bible very well and love Gods Word, I have got 4 with learning disabilities, I have no volunteers to help. These Children are hard to handle and are disrupting the service, we just don't have enough teachers to make a separate class for these children, it's like a dog sled with a poodle in the pack.
Have any of you ever been in this situation?
What I am looking for is methods of Teaching /Preaching to two groups at once, at different paces.
Any prayer, appreciated.....

I have not been here in a while,, I am for lack of better words,,, too busy.
Thanks for your God heart towards those children.
Have you considered them for deliverance.Sometimes devils harasses children and afflict them! It takes Holy Spirit to teach and preach.I pray that grace of God might abound mightly in you to do his will!
Ev. Steve