Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

View Poll Results: should Christians confess their sins?
yes 18 78.26%
yes
18 78.26%
no 2 8.70%
no
2 8.70%
other please comment 3 13.04%
other please comment
3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2009, 09:12 PM

Default confess our sins before we get to the "...judgement seat of Christ" Rom 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody1611 View Post
I said yes. We should confess our sins here, so we won't have to confess them at the Judgment Seat of Christ. We're saved from Hell, but God's chastisement is still there if we sin.
Cody 1611 I agree with your Post #66.
I believe as you said " we should confess our sins here, so we won`t have to confess them at the Judgment seat of Christ" not to be confused with the Great White Throne Judgment(Rev. 21:11-15)
I Corinthians 11:31,32
31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.
I believe each of us has a choice, either you deal with your sins, [#1 admit the guilt, #2 abandon the sin(Isaiah 59:12), and #3 accept the forgiveness(Hebrews 11:6)], but if you don`t God will deal with your sin and it will mean chastisement .

I believe that it is a brother that commits the sin unto death. This is not the unpardonable sin.
I John 5:16
16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. 17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

I believe, that if God chastens you and you heed not the chastening, God may come to the place where he says that is enough you have hurt the cause of Christ long enough and put him in a premature grave.

I was chastened by God. And Thanks be to my LORD, I was chastened according to Hebrews 12:5-8.
Hebrews 12:5-8
5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: 6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

You see, I was born in to the family of GOD at the age of 10. I will be 50 in couple of months. I fell 10 feet, after a 277V shot rendered me unconscious, and basically struck my head. I had a fairly big inter hemispheric subdural hematoma injury to the brain, a skull fracture that took 6 staples to close up. My shoulder required surgery, broke 10 ribs, punctured right lung, and broke some bones in my tail. I have been told by several of my doctors that I am lucky to still be alive, and not only alive but lucky not to be paralyzed. I confessed every sin I could think of and
I John 1:9 promises that if I confessed and sins plural and that he cleansed all or my unrighteousness. And my LORD has returned unto me the joy of my salvation.
The following are cries of a brother, King David, he had committed Adultery with Bathsheba. II Samuel 11:3-5 It was probably a year from the time he sinned until the time he dealt with his sin. Sin wears away on you physically.

Psalm 51:17
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: and a contrite heart, O God thou wilt not despise.

Psalm 32:5
5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

Psalm 51: 3,4,10,12
3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. 4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen. II Peter 3:18
Richard.Strickland
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-16-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Does this apply to me today? Yes or no.
The answer is yes and no. Yes, in the practicle sense where it applies to the new man vs. the old man. No, in the doctrinal sense where certain ideas cannot be enforced upon a believer in Christ.

I know this is tricky. Rightly dividing gets tough in when it is dealing with things that have not yet happened ("Hindsight is 20-20"!).

The trick is to realize when there is "double application" of scripture. It does not happen often, and is therefore often confusing. Try not to read these passages only in their doctrinal setting, or rather read them understanding the possibility that it won't all apply doctrinally to you. If it does not, read it considering what you can learn for your day to day walk in the Christain life.

I'm sorry, I've got to go. I should be able to get back to this some time tomorrow. I hope this doesn't "leave you hanging"!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
The answer is yes and no. Yes, in the practicle sense where it applies to the new man vs. the old man. No, in the doctrinal sense where certain ideas cannot be enforced upon a believer in Christ.

I know this is tricky. Rightly dividing gets tough in when it is dealing with things that have not yet happened ("Hindsight is 20-20"!).

The trick is to realize when there is "double application" of scripture. It does not happen often, and is therefore often confusing. Try not to read these passages only in their doctrinal setting, or rather read them understanding the possibility that it won't all apply doctrinally to you. If it does not, read it considering what you can learn for your day to day walk in the Christain life.

I'm sorry, I've got to go. I should be able to get back to this some time tomorrow. I hope this doesn't "leave you hanging"!
Thanks for the response. And I get what you're saying. For me, the references I gave on post #70 all apply to me today.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Thanks for the response. And I get what you're saying. For me, the references I gave on post #70 all apply to me today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post

I John 1
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

The verse has a condition to it, if.

Now, to all those who assumed that a particular post`s author is only expressing a strict doctrinal interpretation of what he shared sincerely to the thread readers : Please, do not over look the conditions applied to each verse of your quoted scriptures in all of each your posts as I have done. The conditional word that many have over looked can completely change the meaning GOD intended.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. II Timothy 3:16,17

Now apply II Timothy 2:15
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth

Now review all of my post and I think you can see clearly the conditional, practical, and future relevance that
I John 1:9 has to all of this.

While you are in II Timothy take a close look at 2:16

16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Each day we all have to choose to continue walk in the light. Hence, refer to my post #71 and from this understand the practical application of the sin unto death

Now, before you all get flared up and stiffed necked, I believe: once saved always saved, unconditionally.

I believe, if you accept the LORD Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour with all your heart, meaning that those whosoever will admit personally to the LORD Jesus Christ right now: they are a sinner headed for hell, which will be eternal damnation; and call on his name (Romans 10:13) are saved out of the love (John 3:16) and the grace(Ephesians 2:8) that GOD showed when he gave his only begotten Son, CHRIST JESUS[born of a virgin(Matthew 1:23)], who they took to Golgotha to the place called Calvary, there they crucified him on the cross , with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water (look in all of the Gospels Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Old Testament prophecy).

35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. 36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? 37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. 38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
No one can look into another`s heart and know if they are genuine except for one, and he paid the supreme price for all our sins whether you want to name them past present, future, practical, or doctrinal; he paid the price of sin for "whosoever".Act 8:35,36,37
Now read Romans 14:10,11,12 and tell me you do not see the present, future, practical, and need for the doctrinal Confessing of ones sins.
God`s law is our standard for living not for salvation(Romans 3:20).

32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren. Mathew 23:23

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Matthew 23:23

Does any one reading this post think, that since you are save by grace; you have been given a license or divine right to sin? Yes or No

If you say YES, GOD HELP YOU, I have noticed Ephesians 4:30 used contrary to its meaning someone check all these posts on "Should Christians search their hearts and confess their sins?"

Ephesians 4:30
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

It means You are saved by grace and you are bought with a price. God is Holy and you are going to heaven without a doubt but if you sin and grieve the Holy Spirit God may say that is enough of your hypocrisy and you will experience the price of sin.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

The debt of sin will be paid: with a price of eternal damnation(the unforgivable sin) for those who refuse to accept Christ Jesus as their Saviour

or

The debt of sin will be paid: with a price of in practical or literal terms physical death(the death unto sin) and also in future spirtual terms at the Judgement seat of Christ YOU SHALL BE ASHAMED. Which is for Christian that hurts the cause of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ by living an ungodly wicked life claiming and teaching by your actions that once you are saved you have a license or divine right to sin

Romans 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God

18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen. II peter 3:18
Old 06-17-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard.Strickland View Post

Now, before you all get flared up and stiffed necked, I believe: once saved always saved, unconditionally.
No body is getting stiffed necked. Be careful, brother.

Yes. the word IF is indeed conditional. Read carefully.
1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
What is your perception of God? How much light is in Him?
1 John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
Now would that mean no darkness ever? Never? At all? I think that is exactly what the words mean.

Now IF you walk in the light "as he is in the light" how are you personally going to accomplish that? Good deeds? Good works? Good effort? By diligent faith? Are you that convinced apart from Jesus Christ alone you can actually walk in the light as, or in the same manner of, God Himself?

According to your view, one must conclude that the instant you are not walking in the light "AS he is in the light" the blood of Jesus is no longer cleansing you. Are you positive you've confessed your sins? All of them? If not, you aren't forgiven or cleansed from all unrighteousness. Which is it? Are you in the light or in darkness.

If we walk in the light it's because we believe in and receive the Lord Jesus Christ. Not because I produce stellar works of glorious light and perfectly holy and pure deeds that somehow measure up to and match the light of God Himself. I am in the light because Christ is in me.

Now that I am in the LIGHT the Bible exhorts me to walk as a child of light.
Ephesians 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
Old 06-18-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard.Strickland View Post
I John 1
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Now, to all those who assumed that a particular post`s author is only expressing a strict doctrinal interpretation of what he shared sincerely to the thread readers : Please, do not over look the conditions applied to each verse of your quoted scriptures in all of each your posts as I have done. The conditional word that many have over looked can completely change the meaning GOD intended.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. II Timothy 3:16,17

Now apply II Timothy 2:15
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth

Now review all of my post and I think you can see clearly the conditional, practical, and future relevance that
I John 1:9 has to all of this.

While you are in II Timothy take a close look at 2:16

16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Each day we all have to choose to continue walk in the light. Hence, refer to my post #71 and from this understand the practical application of the sin unto death

I believe, if you accept the LORD Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour with all your heart, meaning that those whosoever will admit personally to the LORD Jesus Christ right now: they are a sinner headed for hell, which will be eternal damnation; and call on his name (Romans 10:13) are saved out of the love (John 3:16) and the grace(Ephesians 2:8) that GOD showed when he gave his only begotten Son, CHRIST JESUS[born of a virgin(Matthew 1:23)], who they took to Golgotha to the place called Calvary, there they crucified him on the cross , with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water (look in all of the Gospels Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Old Testament prophecy).

35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. 36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? 37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. 38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
No one can look into another`s heart and know if they are genuine except for one, and he paid the supreme price for all our sins whether you want to name them past present, future, practical, or doctrinal; he paid the price of sin for "whosoever".Act 8:35,36,37
Now read Romans 14:10,11,12 and tell me you do not see the present, future, practical, and need for the doctrinal Confessing of ones sins.
God`s law is our standard for living not for salvation(Romans 3:20).

32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren. Mathew 23:23

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Matthew 23:23

Does any one reading this post think, that since you are save by grace; you have been given a license or divine right to sin? Yes or No

If you say YES, GOD HELP YOU, I have noticed Ephesians 4:30 used contrary to its meaning someone check all these posts on "Should Christians search their hearts and confess their sins?"

Ephesians 4:30
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

It means You are saved by grace and you are bought with a price. God is Holy and you are going to heaven without a doubt but if you sin and grieve the Holy Spirit God may say that is enough of your hypocrisy and you will experience the price of sin.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

The debt of sin will be paid: with a price of eternal damnation(the unforgivable sin) for those who refuse to accept Christ Jesus as their Saviour

or

The debt of sin will be paid: with a price of in practical or literal terms physical death(the death unto sin) and also in future spirtual terms at the Judgement seat of Christ YOU SHALL BE ASHAMED. Which is for Christian that hurts the cause of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ by living an ungodly wicked life claiming and teaching by your actions that once you are saved you have a license or divine right to sin

Romans 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God

18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen. II peter 3:18
While there have been different views expressed, no one on this thread has advocated taking sin lightly. No one has advocated a license to sin. No one has advocated that a Christian can sin all they want with no consequences. When a person gets saved all of their sins are forgiven. The idea that a Christian has to get their sins forgiven every time they sin comes from Roman Catholicism and taken up by Protestants and unfortunately many Baptists. A Christian is one in whom Christ dwells and He will not let you stay in sin. The Holy Spirit will bring conviction and point out your sin. We are not to seek forgiveness because that has already been provided. Our responsibility is to turn away from the sin which we can do in the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Two errors that Christians can fall into are legalism and license, but there’s one remedy for both; our new identity in Christ. Any person who can sin and not be bothered by it or thinks they can sin all they want with no consequences could be deceived, but most likely they’re lost. On the other hand we beleivers are dead to and freed from sin.
Romans 6
1. What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2. God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
3. Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4. Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6. Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7. For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9. Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10. For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11. Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12. Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14. For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Romans 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

Galatians 2:19-20 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Colossians 3
1. If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
3. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
4. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:00 AM

CKG,
Your post #76 was well said bro.

thanks you for your input on this thread
Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 AM

Default Should Christians search their hearts and confess sin

I voted yes,

John 13:4-5 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

John 13:6-7 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet? Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.

John 13:8-9 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me. Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.

John 13:10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKG View Post
While there have been different views expressed, no one on this thread has advocated taking sin lightly. No one has advocated a license to sin. No one has advocated that a Christian can sin all they want with no consequences. When a person gets saved all of their sins are forgiven. The idea that a Christian has to get their sins forgiven every time they sin comes from Roman Catholicism and taken up by Protestants and unfortunately many Baptists. A Christian is one in whom Christ dwells and He will not let you stay in sin. The Holy Spirit will bring conviction and point out your sin. We are not to seek forgiveness because that has already been provided. Our responsibility is to turn away from the sin which we can do in the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Two errors that Christians can fall into are legalism and license, but there’s one remedy for both; our new identity in Christ. Any person who can sin and not be bothered by it or thinks they can sin all they want with no consequences could be deceived, but most likely they’re lost. On the other hand we beleivers are dead to and freed from sin.
Well said brother Craig.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:56 PM

[QUOTE=CKG;22355]While there have been different views expressed, no one on this thread has advocated taking sin lightly. No one has advocated a license to sin. No one has advocated that a Christian can sin all they want with no consequences. When a person gets saved all of their sins are forgiven. The idea that a Christian has to get their sins forgiven every time they sin comes from Roman Catholicism and taken up by Protestants and unfortunately many Baptists. A Christian is one in whom Christ dwells and He will not let you stay in sin. The Holy Spirit will bring conviction and point out your sin. We are not to seek forgiveness because that has already been provided. Our responsibility is to turn away from the sin which we can do in the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Two errors that Christians can fall into are legalism and license, but there’s one remedy for both; our new identity in Christ. Any person who can sin and not be bothered by it or thinks they can sin all they want with no consequences could be deceived, but most likely they’re lost. On the other hand we beleivers are dead to and freed from sin.

CKG that is a good reply, I am thankful that no one that has written a response to this thread thinks that since we are saved by grace that it is impossible to sin. It appears to me that we disagree only whether or not the confession or repentance of sin should be taught as a doctrine? Have I correctly understood your position of this matter.

Brother (may I call you brother?CKG?), What do you believe concerning the following reasoning:

The Doctrine of Repentance
Luke 24:46-48
TEXT
46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: 47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 And ye are witnesses of these things.
The great commission is found 5 times in the New Testament.
Luke 24:46-48
Matthew 28:19,20
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Mark:15,16
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
John 20:21-23
21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. 22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: 23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.
Acts 1:8
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Now what I am saying is this, that what we have read in my text Luke 24:46-48 is just as much of the great commission as what we commonly read in Mathew 28:19,20. So; if this is the great commission, then it necessitates that the doctrine of repentance must be included as we preach the word of God among all nations. And if a person does not include the message of repentance, then he is not fulfilling the great commision.