Prayer Requests Post your prayer requests here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway View Post
Easy up there Atlas, I am one of the ones that are on the outside looking in, I live in Belfast and there has been much unrest through the years, killing, bombing civil unrest and it has been a source of division through what some would class as war, or the "troubles" I am against this "political warfare". I will admit I am ignorant about Iraq and the USA so you are probably right, I shouldn't have answered.
My Grandfather served in WW2 and my Great Grandfather in WW1 so I do have my share of war horror stories from Him. Good counsel, I shall turn my prayers to the safety of the troops.
As I get older, my feelings about war and peace are changing somewhat. I have sons and grandsons, and don't want them in the military for a number of reasons, which I will not discuss at this point. Basically, I don't want them to die, and I think the military is a bad environment for a young Christian man - - - not because of the "war" part, but because it's just so filthy and worldly.

Having said that, of course I agree with Atlas. There is a time for war. Military service is not, in itself, a sin. (It would, like anything else, be a sin if God had told a young man to do something else, and he rebelled.) Jesus did not rebuke the soldiers who asked His advice; and He did command the disciples to get a sword. However, I don't glorify military service, although I pray for the troops; and I wouldn't counsel a young Christian man to enlist. If he were drafted, I would certainly counsel him to obey, and be the best soldier he could be!

As I say, my feelings are changing as I get older; but I must subordinate my feelings to the words of God, or I'm not much of a Christian.