Prayer Requests Post your prayer requests here.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Revangelist

I agreed with your answer. It was how it was given. Psychology and psychiatry aren't godly at all. I've spent quite some time trying to "undo" some of the messes "it's" caused. It's like people make pets out of their illnesses.

I've asked for prayer before and got someone getting all over me when all I wanted was prayer. So, I suppose I was reacting when I shouldn't have. So, George, I publicly apologize for the misunderstanding.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Connie

I agree completely (although I'm not completely sure "depression" is a term from psychology rather than just ordinary usage -- but for the sake of safety I'll try to stay away from it), and oddly enough I even hated those terms before I was a Christian and worked with some psychologists. I guess I was worried that you were being too hard on Why I Eyes Ya when he needs help for that spiritual condition you are talking about. Thinking about it biblically is a big part of helping him, though, I agree.

It's sometimes hard to know when it's our own sins that have brought a condition on us and when it's the devil just trying to keep us from serving the Lord. Seems to me he's working overtime these days trying to keep us blind and unprepared for what's coming.

Last edited by Connie; 03-22-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revangelist View Post
I agreed with your answer. It was how it was given. Psychology and psychiatry aren't godly at all. I've spent quite some time trying to "undo" some of the messes "it's" caused. It's like people make pets out of their illnesses.

I've asked for prayer before and got someone getting all over me when all I wanted was prayer. So, I suppose I was reacting when I shouldn't have. So, George, I publicly apologize for the misunderstanding.
I accept your apology, although I wasn't the least offended by what you said.

In this age of "Political Correctness" (more psychiatry & psychology) I come across as a gruff old codger. However, my wife and I have had 7 Children (all gifts from God); and we now have 16 grandchildren (all gifts from God); and 2 great grandchildren (all gifts from God) - all of which have "mellowed" me somewhat (You should have seen me 20 to 30 years ago - it's a wonder that my wife stuck with me.)

What you hadn't seen was the very gracious "private reply" that "Why I Eyes Ya" sent me, which was a real blessing to my heart.

I believe that a major part of a Christian's (all Christians) ministry should be: Reconciliation (2Corinthians 5:18) and Edification (Romans 14:19; Romans 15:2; 1Thessalonians 5:11) and if I come across as rude, crude, or "hard", it's because there is so much "false doctrine" out there; there is so much "leaven" in the churches; there are so many "Christian authorities" that are replacing our "Final Authority"; and there is so much "personal opinion" (more Humanism) amongst Christians that I sometimes may be a little bit curt or abrupt in dealing with them.

You can ask my wife (and kids & grandkids) "my bark is worse than my bite".

Yours for the Lord Jesus Christ and for His Holy word,

George

Last edited by George; 03-22-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why I Eyes Ya! View Post
Please can you pray for my wife and I? We've not been married very long and both occasionally suffer from clinical depression. As a result, our home-life is suffering and I'm pretty confused/tired most of the time.
First off congratulations on your marriage. My prayers for you and your wife as you start your life together. Those first few years of adjustment are... interesting. The years where you grow from "love" to commitment. The years that tend to make or break a couple. This is harder these days when the world teaches self-happiness of the individual... instead of commitment to marriage itself.

You didn't ask for advice, but I thought I'd share a couple of things. Brandon (Diligent) and I have been married almost 14 years now and we've had our mountains and valleys. I could have been labeled with "depression" a few times over the years and these are a few things that I have learned. A few things to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
Amen. It's one thing to treat ailments of the body with medicines. It's another thing entirely to try to treat ailments of the heart and spirit in the same way.
I think when we try to medicate away the symptoms of dealing with adversity in life we fail to learn from the issues and miss out on valuable growth.

Quote:
When you exercise you will break down muscle tissue in the body. Over a period of continuous destroying and rebuilding, your muscles will grow and adapt to the strain you put on it.
Consider how muscle growth and strength comes from pushing the muscles, breaking down, destroying and rebuilding. So it is with other things in life.

Quote:
John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
Where does our peace come from? Are we promised life be easy? Who has overcome the world? Why in today's world do WE try to overcome the world and expect life to be trouble free?

Quote:
2 Corinthians 11:23-28 Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft. Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.
Just look at all the things Paul went through...

Quote:
2Co 12:9-10 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

How did he deal with it? What did he learn through it?

Quote:
Philippians 4:6-9 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
I find that most issues with "depression" come from having an unrealistic view of how people THINK things should be. (Part of this is comparison to others...) And what people think they deserve/want. Another unrealistic view that seems to add to this is that God is a "genie in a bottle" granting our wishes and prayers. He promises what we NEED, "the peace of God, which passeth all understanding,".

Quote:
Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
This includes the various trials and valleys that we go through. If God is giving them to us for a reason then we need to learn from it... and grow from it...not wallow in it ... and not medicate it away. When we go through trials praising God and clinging to his word that is an example to others. Others see this and who knows maybe those others are the part of the reason you were blessed with this trial.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:12 AM
Why I Eyes Ya!

Default Thankyou

Dear friends,

I just wanted to say a heart-felt 'thankyou' for all your prayers and advice. I also want to apologize to any whom I may have caused to stumble by using the terms 'clinical depression', etc. I now realize (thanks to George and others) that there was indeed a spiritual aspect to what was happening... something I hadn't even considered or had been too proud to admit.

Without going into too much detail, my wife and I are having regular meetings with the local minister who married us. As he and his wife know both of us, we've had some valuable insight into the major cause of our troubles. We now are in a position to move forward and, with God's grace and His word, things are coming together. Slowly, but surely.

I'm learning a lot through these circumstances, and even non-Christian workmates have noticed God's calm in the midst of the storm.

So what else can I say but thankyou all, and thanks and praise the the Lord Jesus Christ for His guidance, faithfulness, and "peace which passeth all understanding" at this time.
May I continue to learn and His name be glorified!

Thank you,

Rob (W.I.E.Y)
Old 03-28-2008, 10:38 AM

Praise God!! And thanks for the update.

It's a learning/growth experience and I think your testimony is to the Lord's glory!

I'm still praying, and thanks again for sharing it with us.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Dear friends,

I just wanted to say a heart-felt 'thankyou' for all your prayers and advice. I also want to apologize to any whom I may have caused to stumble by using the terms 'clinical depression', etc. I now realize (thanks to George and others) that there was indeed a spiritual aspect to what was happening... something I hadn't even considered or had been too proud to admit.

Without going into too much detail, my wife and I are having regular meetings with the local minister who married us. As he and his wife know both of us, we've had some valuable insight into the major cause of our troubles. We now are in a position to move forward and, with God's grace and His word, things are coming together. Slowly, but surely.

I'm learning a lot through these circumstances, and even non-Christian workmates have noticed God's calm in the midst of the storm.

So what else can I say but thankyou all, and thanks and praise the the Lord Jesus Christ for His guidance, faithfulness, and "peace which passeth all understanding" at this time.

Thank you,

Rob (W.I.E.Y)
May God bless you and your wife brother. I would encourage you to always:
Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

George
Old 03-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Beth

Quote:
Dear friends,

Thank you,

Rob (W.I.E.Y)
Rob, you have received wonderful, Biblical encouragement/edification from George, Diligent and JaeBird. Praise the Lord for brothers and sisters in Christ!! They are correct, "depression" is a spiritual, (or lack of spirit) matter.

I would also like to encourage you. I'm so happy to hear you are receiving your counseling from your Pastor and not the world.

I once was in a miserable marriage, (not saying yours is miserable). My husband was not saved and of course an unequally yoked marriage is miserable. Although, I was saved, I also was dealing with spiritual matters and I was not honoring my husband. The way I was acting, I would never have been able to win him over. I was also on a power trip as many women are in these times. My husband was pretty much checked out and I made the decision to move from an emergent Church into a Fundamental Independent Baptist Church. My husband fought this decision at first, but was won over by the loving-truth telling congregation, especially our two wonderful Pastors.

The older women of the Church worked with me and really helped along with God's Word to get me on the right track. I started to respect my husband, no matter how he treated me. My husband eventually surrendered his will and the Lord saved him. Praise be to God!! I now have the marriage I only dreamed about. Not perfect... We now are looking to scripture to learn our roles and treat each other the way God has intended. We receive regular counseling sessions with our Pastor and his wife. They still need to straighten us out from time to time. Especially me... It has been hard to shake my independence and stubbornness!!

When we treat our spouses as God intended, this is showing our obedience to God. We honor God with our service to Him.