Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Aloha sister Jennifer,

Both you and Jassy are doing a great job in your Posting! If we were not separated by such a distance, it would be a real pleasure for Renee and I to to fellowship with you and brother John and sister Jassy. {Maybe we could learn sign language - she is such a blessed sister in the Lord.}

Please notice another "boo boo" (amongst many) that Amanda made when she said: "If I was involved in a sin that was going to bring down the wrath of God on me or the body of believers I should hope someone would say something to me!"

You might inform her (although it will do little good) that we born again Christians are NOT "appointed" to "God's WRATH", but unto His Salvation!
This is one of those very "BASIC" Scriptural "FACTS" that all Christians with even a modicum of Scriptural knowledge, discernment, and understanding should have. I wonder how Amanda "missed" it and "MISSPOKE" (once again)?
Aloha nui loa, brother George,

You and Renee in Broken Arrow, OK, Jassy in WI, John and I in OH, wouldn't it be nice if we could meet somewhere in the middle (or at any corner) of that triangle someday? The fellowship would be tremendous. What joy! When I told Jassy that I'm not sure how great I would be at sign language, (I'm not overly coordinated), we joked that we could sit together in the living room with our laptops and chat with each other!

I love you all in the Spirit of Christ,

Jennifer
Old 08-01-2009, 06:34 PM

Default Bro. George

Apparently you misunderstood, it was neither a lack of knowledge nor a case of having misspoke; it was a case of figurative speech and hyperbole.

You know, like when Jesus said “strain at a gnat and swallow a camel".....?

Surely you admit that Jesus didn’t mean the Pharisees literally swallowed a camel?

Likewise I didn’t mean that any believer literally fell under the wrath of God. Of course we (and those in the local assembly - see I Cor. 11:30) still suffer consequences of sin, and in what I thought was an obvious case of hyperbole, I referred to it as the wrath of God.

In common speech (which I use on this forum) this is not rare. Other examples are “raining cats and dogs,” and “laughed my head off,” and “I’ve told you a thousand times.”

In the above example, I thought it was a safe exaggeration because as far as I know everyone involved in the discussion believes a Christian cannot lose his salvation and fall under the literal wrath of God.

But, because evidently my posts are being gone over with a fine tooth comb (another hyperbole ) and my word usage is being criticized - for those who are unfamiliar with basic literary devices I will be more careful in the future.

Thank you Bro. George for looking out for me!