Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:43 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Fallen angels again (however, this time God uses genocide of the Anakims instead of a worldwide flood, to rid the world of their filthy blood)

Could you clarify, please?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 04-04-2008, 06:20 AM

Their genes possibly made it through the flood on the ark, probably through a wife of one of Noah's boys.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:06 AM

bumped to top - topic resurfaces
Old 05-29-2009, 09:15 AM

Giants existed before the union of "sons of God" and "daughters of men". The verse cannot be more simple. "and also after that"
Old 05-29-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
bumped to top - topic resurfaces
Is it OK to copy my posts re: sons of God vis a vis nephilim that I put under the flying Scroll thread? I wonder if brother Brandon could copy appropriate posts to son's of God thread? But these issues all overlap. Maybe we need a new thread. Maybe something like "Fallen Angels/demons/aliens/ufo phenomenon/strong delusion". Lol.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Giants existed before the union of "sons of God" and "daughters of men". The verse cannot be more simple. "and also after that"
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. (Genesis 6:4)
Old 05-29-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
It's not that simple, BT. I have read it three different ways.

Quote:
6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
1)The way you just read it (and there is no evidence anywhere else in scripture that would support your reading, and the structure of the sentence doesn't support your reading, either)

2) the common reading that it means also after those days (described in Gen 1-2) there were giants after that. As for this second more common reading, we don't need this verse to tell us that the nephilim continued after this because other scriptures relating to the Jews driving out the inhabitants of the promised land make it clear enough. And I think you are right that this verse isn't saying what is usually attributed to it.

3)a third (and I think correct) reading is that in the sentence segment "and also after that" the word "that" refers back to the preceding part of the sentence as well as to the next section directly after the comma "when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them". The word "after" refers to "the same became the mighty men of old, men of renown".

What is 'that" referring to? It's referring to the account of the sons of God coming in to the daughters of men, and they bare children to them.

What is the "after that" referring to? It's referring to these "same" who became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Last edited by greenbear; 05-29-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:18 AM

No big deal, but I think this thread belongs under Bible studies and not doctrine.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:22 AM

I agree that "Studies" is a better spot, but this is an old thread resurrected. Perhaps Brandon can transfer it, if needed. There is a doctrinal aspect to it, because if one believes that angels have the power to propagate, and teaches so, that is doctrine, unbiblical though it is, IMO.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Bro. Parrish

Friends, I do have a lengthy study thread going about GIANTS, Sons of God (angels) and Daughters of Men By Bob Deffinbaugh, Th.M. (yes I think they did breed) and the antediluvian creatures called the NEPHILIM (which means fallen ones), tons of information, you can check that out at the link below, and don't miss the last page posts 51 and 53, regarding the interlocking, precision cut stone structures of Puma Punku in Bolivia:
http://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896