Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-19-2008, 12:45 AM
Just_A_Thought's Avatar
Just_A_Thought Just_A_Thought is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 105
Default The Geneva 1560

I like the KJV. I use it to study but for the most part I use the Geneva 1560 for my daily Bible reading. Do you consider this wrong and/or sinful? I am not presenting a challenge to anyone here but I simply want to see where the people on this site stand. I know people here do not like the newer versions but what about the older ones? I would like to thank everyone in advance for their inputs..
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
  #2  
Old 10-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Just_A_Thought's Avatar
Just_A_Thought Just_A_Thought is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 105
Default

Not one comment?
  #3  
Old 10-21-2008, 10:18 PM
bibleprotector's Avatar
bibleprotector bibleprotector is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 587
Default

Quote:
I use the Geneva 1560 for my daily Bible reading. Do you consider this wrong and/or sinful?
It is wrong in that the KJB clearly improves upon it, as is also shown doctrinally from the KJBO point of view (i.e. seven purifications of the Reformation English versions); to know the truth, but to reject or resist it becomes a sinful act.
  #4  
Old 10-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Diligent's Avatar
Diligent Diligent is offline
Forum Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oklahoma, USA.
Posts: 641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_Thought View Post
...for the most part I use the Geneva 1560 for my daily Bible reading.
Why do you do that?
  #5  
Old 10-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Biblestudent's Avatar
Biblestudent Biblestudent is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philippines
Posts: 662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
Why do you do that?
Diligent, you made me laugh. Good question.
  #6  
Old 10-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Just_A_Thought's Avatar
Just_A_Thought Just_A_Thought is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
Why do you do that?
Because I love the Bible and it's history.
  #7  
Old 10-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Just_A_Thought's Avatar
Just_A_Thought Just_A_Thought is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post
It is wrong in that the KJB clearly improves upon it, as is also shown doctrinally from the KJBO point of view (i.e. seven purifications of the Reformation English versions); to know the truth, but to reject or resist it becomes a sinful act.
Thank you for you honest opinion. As I stated in my first post, I will not try ti debate one way or the other. I simply wanted peoples opinion on this so I could see where the majority of the forum stood on their beliefs of the earlier versions.
  #8  
Old 10-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Diligent's Avatar
Diligent Diligent is offline
Forum Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oklahoma, USA.
Posts: 641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_Thought View Post
Because I love the Bible and it's history.
Ok. If you're not studying from it because you believe it to be God's unadulterated word, then there is not much I could say about it.

I read and study the KJV because it's God's word. (Period.)

I have the Geneva, Tyndale, Wycliffe, Bishops, and other early English translations. They are certainly history, but why would I "study" those when I have the KJV, which is a purification of all that came before it? I think if God wanted me to study from the Geneva, he would have seen to its proliferation over the course of the last 400 years. He did not.
  #9  
Old 10-23-2008, 04:17 AM
Just_A_Thought's Avatar
Just_A_Thought Just_A_Thought is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
Ok. If you're not studying from it because you believe it to be God's unadulterated word, then there is not much I could say about it.

I read and study the KJV because it's God's word. (Period.)

I have the Geneva, Tyndale, Wycliffe, Bishops, and other early English translations. They are certainly history, but why would I "study" those when I have the KJV, which is a purification of all that came before it? I think if God wanted me to study from the Geneva, he would have seen to its proliferation over the course of the last 400 years. He did not.
I must say that I am somewhat jealous of you. I wish to own copies of all those other Bibles too! Do you have any old leafs? I have two both of the Geneva. I orderd one but the company sent me a second one free. One is from 1589 and the other from1615.
  #10  
Old 10-23-2008, 06:49 AM
Brother Tim's Avatar
Brother Tim Brother Tim is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 864
Default

Just_a_thought,
If you want the text of these early English versions, check out the trial offer for SwordSearcher on this forum. It contains these texts with very easy comparison tools.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Website © AV1611.Com.
Posts represent only the opinions of users of this forum and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the webmaster.

Software for Believing Bible Study

 
Contact Us AV1611.Com