General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:29 PM
sting of truth

Cool ok, this confuzzled me. please help

ok, i was checking out this website, and i use my king james bible and understand it, but this guy posted this weird as can be article. it made no sense, it was supposed to be criticizing the king james wording, but even when translated into new words it didn't make any sense to me.. if anyone can make heads or tales out of this garbage or can explain what the author was trying to do, please feel free to enlighten me.
http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/kjvterms.htm

praise the Lord and pass the pepsi
- Chad :cool:
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-19-2008, 11:50 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union

I read all those articles on that website, and they're pretty weak. They're just trying to show how because there are archaic words in the KJV, that it is somehow irrelevant. Unless a better answer comes along, I just keep telling them to look up I Samuel 9:1-9 and explain why the writer of I Samuel didn't change seer, even though it meant prophet.

However, I strongly encourage all my brethren here to look up this website and its short articles. They make some pretty arrogant claims about some of the arrogant claims that some of "us" KJO advocates use, like salvation is in danger to those who don't use the KJB. Ridiculous.

I do have some difficulty explaining
The "revisions" of the Textus Receptus.
That one of the main translators was an alchoholic and never kicked out.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:02 AM

But I see what you're saying, this article really doesn't make sense.
like:

"Another similar problem for the KJV Only camp, which exalts the TR, comes from a comparison between the KJV and Young's Literal, which were both based on the TR! Acts 16:17 reads:

"The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which show unto us the way of salvation" (KJV).

". . . who declare to us a way of salvation" (Young's Literal).

Comment: The KJV (and the NIV) are both wrong according to the actual Greek rendering! The Greek does not have the definite article which would yield "the way of salvation." Young's Literal translation is exactly as its name indicates -- a literal Greek to English rendering of this verse based on the TR -- "a way of salvation." This rendering is much more consistent with the immediate context where we see a demon speaking through a girl describing Paul's message to the people. Demons want us to believe that there are multiple ways to God, Jesus just being one of the many ways. John 14:6 shows how narrow the road is. See also Matt. 7:13,14."

Paladin54 again, really, they just defeated themselves!
????
Old 02-20-2008, 11:58 AM
sting of truth

well here is what confuzzled me, with all them words he posted, was he trying to actually make something, or was he just at some parts throwing in words to cause confusion. towards the end i was ableto read a few sentances, but at the beginning, it made no sense what so ever
Old 02-22-2008, 05:19 PM

He gave a list of archaic words that are used in the KJB in order to show his point of irrelevancy for today's world and language. He should have looked up his references because several of those words are in modern versions.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:44 PM
sting of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin54 View Post
He gave a list of archaic words that are used in the KJB in order to show his point of irrelevancy for today's world and language. He should have looked up his references because several of those words are in modern versions.
but i was wondering if he wasactually trying to form a statement, or ask aquestion using those words.. cause if so, he failed miserabley
Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 PM

Brother, I don't know how else I can say it, even though there was no introduction, he gave a list of "archaic" words and their references in the KJB in an attempt to flood us with an armada of words that made the KJB difficult. It was poorly organized. True, it was a bad article, he just copies-and-pasted from another source without giving any introduction, making it difficult for his readers to understand.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:56 AM
ploughboy

Default WOW!

Wow! They could only find about 103 hard words in the KJB out of 791,328, depending on who's counting. I wonder how they are able to read Shakespeare. I wonder if they even study.

Ploughboy
Old 03-04-2008, 01:38 AM

The way they arranged the words they are trying to give the impression that the KJB is full of nonsense statements.

I was going to post the first "sentence" as an example, but I'll honor this
Quote:
Permission is granted to duplicate this article
in its entirety, but only without additions,
alterations or omissions of any kind, including the
ministry name, Evangelical Outreach, and address at the end.
even though if they believe that this "article" is "intellectual property" that needs protecting they have serious problems.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 AM

Just in case it's still not clear they're being purposely misleading; can any one find in the KJB where snuffdishes were eaten? Unless, of course, "ate" (along with words like "from" and "the") are just meant to be included in the list of words they find hard to be understood.

Just to save anyone from having to check out the site themselves if they don't want I think I will post the first "sentence" here. I really don't see how this tripe could be protected as intellectual property or anything.

Quote:
Mingled people from the nethermost ate snuffdishes and palmerworm every quarternion.