Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2009, 06:13 AM

Default Truly Sincere

Thank you all for your contributions. This has been a very difficult issue for me.

The scholars really believe that they know better than writers of scripture. It is that arrogance that prompted me to attempt some sort of thread. It is my contention that scholars today are no wiser than Paul was and are in need of the same faith that Paul had when he wrote. I do not really believe in human progress.

Having endured an undergraduate education at the hands of liberal scholars, I was thrust into several crisis of faith over the issue of scripture. Yet in all of the exploration I have done, even with a Pentecost preacher, a Baptist pastor and a Presbyterian minister, all sincere people, no one ever suggested that English translations could be inspired. It was always about the Hebrew and Greek.

Having attempted to "master" scripture through scholarship (studying all the criticisms and languages, etc.), my faith in God's word has been shaken. Always I am reminded of what Paul wrote in his first letter to the Corinthians: "Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this word? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?" (1 Corinthians 1:20).

I am discovering that I do not know nearly as much as I thought I knew.