General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:32 AM

Default Memorizing Scriptures

I've started to memorize Scriptures, and am having difficulties linking verses to references. I started memorizing Jude by doing two verses a day and am on verses 24-25 and it is becoming clear that keeping verses linked to the verse number in my brain is a big obstacle for me. Anyone have any practical advice on this?

Much Love in Christ Jesus,
Stephen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-25-2008, 05:38 PM

Stephanos,

I can not remember scripture references at all, My Lord and the Apostles never quoted them. I do not memorize scripture verses, I hide them in my heart and it is amazing how My lord calls them to mind when I need them. (Not that I ever not need them.) It is more important to have the Lord's words then it is know the references.

Psalms 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Off course with SWORDSEARCHER it is easy to find the references if you need them.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:03 AM

I am sure people have their reasons for not wanting to know references, but since I am a warrior for Christ Jesus, and my weapon is the Word of God, it is my desire to have a well rounded knowledge of it. This means that I can point people to book chapter and verse whenever I speak the words I've written upon my mind. I can assure you, the advantages of taking the time to memorize references with the Scripture outweighs the extra work. Truly, knowing God's word is a priviledge and obligation, and I take it serious; so should all Christians. I'll tell you one thing, it amazes me how much more knowledgable muslims are of their koran (you could practically insert any religion and their writtings) than we Christians are of the Holy Bible (I of course speak in generalities here). There is a battle going on in this world, both seen and unseen, and I intend to be equipped to do what I can in service of my Master.

for Jesus' sake,
Stephen

PS - I wonder how often you have your SWORDSEARCHER around when someone calls you on something you quote from Scripture. If I found myself never having to backup what I claimed to have read in the Scriptures I would wonder if I truly were living an abandoned life for Christ Jesus. 2 Timothy 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. Woe to those that blend in with this world!

Last edited by stephanos; 07-26-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:30 AM

I did not say I do not want to, I said I can not. At my age I can't even remember what I am supposed to do at times.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
I did not say I do not want to, I said I can not. At my age I can't even remember what I am supposed to do at times.
Me, too! At my age, I can't remember things
Aloha, Renee!
Old 07-26-2008, 07:38 AM

If you are saying that you are trying to include the verse reference as part of the memorization, I can't be much help. If, however, you are trying to remember the reference so that you can locate the verse when needed, then you might try to connecting the idea of the verse with the general area (book, chapter). My father had an excellent memory, and was able to connect like this. I on the other hand must carry my laptop just about everywhere so that I have some degree of intelligence nearby. I suffer from too many years of Dr. Pepper abuse. Thank the LORD for SwordSearcher!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
I suffer from too many years of Dr. Pepper abuse. Thank the LORD for SwordSearcher!
ROFL
Old 07-26-2008, 04:36 PM

In that case can I just claim genetics as my problem since I can't claim age or Dr. Pepper abuse?

I find there are some verses that "chapter and verse" seems to go hand in hand as part of memorizing and it isn't difficult to recall both.

I am NOT a numbers/dates type of person. I have never had the ability to memorize more than a few numbers before I start getting them confused and mixed up. This got really bad once our son was born.(Thankfully I have a cell phone, an address book, and a calendar so I don't have to remember dates or numbers.)

I do however have a very good memory for things spatially oriented and in a general way...so I can find things in my Bible because I remember the book/chapter and area the verse is located in. (This only works if you use the same Bible all the time...) Often times I am surprised at the # being there in memory with the verse when I've really needed it... funny how that works.

I'm waiting for them to come out with a good combined cel phone/pocket PC one day (and a mini version of SwordSearcher ) so I can have everything in a nice portable hand held.

On the other hand Brandon's ability to remember "chapter and verse" always amazes me and since I'm usually with him my inability to memorize "chapter and verse" rarely comes into play.

As someone who is NOT naturally gifted in Memorization I find I have to engage all 5 learning styles to retain that type of information well.

Verbal
Visual
Tactile
Kinesthetics
Aurals

For me if I want to memorize the number with the words I have to read it, say it out loud & hear it, write it down and move flash cards. Young children engage all 5 senses that way and most adults have narrowed it down to 1 or 2 of the styles.

Also, as a homeschooling Mom I just had the thought that it could be that your goal of memorizing 2 verses a day was okay at first as you had a blank slate, but now that you have 20+ in there it might be adding too much too soon.

Think layers. Each new layer you set down softens the layer under it just a little if it hasn't had time to fully harden and set. To many layers too quickly and the edges -oldest and newest - are hard, but the middle layers are a little muddled together and never fully dried.

I hope something there might help.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Memorizing Scripture

Aloha Jaebyrd,

Excellent post! Even if you are my daughter! I checked out the URL that you listed and couldn't agree more.

This is the major problem with schools (nearly all schools - including "Christian" schools) and "schooling" - there is little or no "flexibility" (and one of the major advantages of "Homeschooling").

Back in the 40's & 50's (not the 1840's or 50's ) there used to be "TRADE SCHOOLS" - where people who weren't "academically inclined" could go and learn something PRACTICAL & USEFUL (like a "Trade"). Nowadays many children (especially boys) struggle with the dull, boring, and uninteresting curriculum that is foisted (read - forced) on them by the educational elitists who profess to know, all there is to know, including what is "best" for everyone else.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeByrd View Post
In that case can I just claim genetics as my problem since I can't claim age or Dr. Pepper abuse?

I find there are some verses that "chapter and verse" seems to go hand in hand as part of memorizing and it isn't difficult to recall both.

I am NOT a numbers/dates type of person. I have never had the ability to memorize more than a few numbers before I start getting them confused and mixed up. This got really bad once our son was born.(Thankfully I have a cell phone, an address book, and a calendar so I don't have to remember dates or numbers.)

I do however have a very good memory for things spatially oriented and in a general way...so I can find things in my Bible because I remember the book/chapter and area the verse is located in. (This only works if you use the same Bible all the time...) Often times I am surprised at the # being there in memory with the verse when I've really needed it... funny how that works.

I'm waiting for them to come out with a good combined cel phone/pocket PC one day (and a mini version of SwordSearcher ) so I can have everything in a nice portable hand held.

On the other hand Brandon's ability to remember "chapter and verse" always amazes me and since I'm usually with him my inability to memorize "chapter and verse" rarely comes into play.

As someone who is NOT naturally gifted in Memorization I find I have to engage all 5 learning styles to retain that type of information well.

Verbal
Visual
Tactile
Kinesthetics
Aurals

For me if I want to memorize the number with the words I have to read it, say it out loud & hear it, write it down and move flash cards. Young children engage all 5 senses that way and most adults have narrowed it down to 1 or 2 of the styles.

Also, as a homeschooling Mom I just had the thought that it could be that your goal of memorizing 2 verses a day was okay at first as you had a blank slate, but now that you have 20+ in there it might be adding too much too soon.

Think layers. Each new layer you set down softens the layer under it just a little if it hasn't had time to fully harden and set. To many layers too quickly and the edges -oldest and newest - are hard, but the middle layers are a little muddled together and never fully dried.

I hope something there might help.
Yeah this is really insightful. I do indeed notice that the first verses I put to memory are the strongest, but I still think this is because they've been reviewed nearly two weeks now. I am going to continue to review verses every day for at least a month (more likely two) and then move to once a week until I get to where I can only review once a month. Thanks again!

Much Love in Christ Jesus,
Stephen

EDIT: Also I will add that I don't add new verses on the weekends. I try to hit what I've put to memory on these days to, like you say, let them dry. I think this will prove to be a wise tactic. I'm moving on to 1 John this monday btw ^_^ I'm really enjoying this, despite the hard work it takes each day.