General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Christian View Post
When I got saved as a young man in 1993, aged 23, I had had no religious upbringing or church experience whatsoever. About 1 month after I got saved I had the great blessing of being steered straight into a King James Only, Dispensational, Rightly Dividing, Bible Believing Baptist church where I was rooted and grounded in God's love and God's word, amen.

Now, while I have been walking with Christ these past 16 years, I have been confronted with many Christians who have had the complete opposite unbringing as me, being involved in some kind of false religion in their youth which has plagued them to a degree their whole life. While they may be on the right track with God now, they are still effected by their past experiences, whether that be the occult, catholicism, or charismania, etc. I have seen this so often and wonder why they can't shake it off, why they can't get rid of the baggage, it's like they are spiritually scarred for life!

I am very thankful that God has spared me from carrying around the baggage of a previous false religion, but I'd like to understand more about this phenomenon. Are there any of you readers who can relate personally to this and would care to give a word of testimony of your past experiences, and how/why they still effect you today?
I am writing from my heart and sharing my personal experience. (Actually, I’m going to preach a little bit!) I am not implying that all believers who may read my comments have a similar problem. But I do believe the solution is the same for all who desire real freedom from the oppression of sin or bondage/baggage from a false religion.

Brother Matt, although this may not be considered a “false religion” by definition, it was certainly something that caused me a lot trouble and stifled my growth as a Christian. My particular belief system had produced a self-righteous spiritual strut in my life because I was a doer…applying the principles and obeying the commands…in comparison to others…I thought.

Another consequence of my self-motivated, self-disciplined, try hard til’ Jesus comes mentality was deep discouragement and frequent fatigue because I could never measure up to the high, holy, and perfect standard of God. I was plagued with the guilt of never measuring up. O wretched man that I am!

I am referring to the differences between doing versus simply being. I have discovered that if we will rest, focus, and grow in the reality of what we are in Christ, the result is that we begin to spontaneously do what is right. Our being results in doing…naturally!

This truth has set me free! Do I still sin? Of course I do. Do I still experience the realities of my own mortality? Of course I do. But in Christ…I am free from all condemnation. I have been blessed with all spiritual blessings in Christ Jesus. I am complete in Him.
Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Colossians 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
For me, God has used the severity of a disabling trial and suffering to strip me of myself and direct my heart to the sufficiency and preeminence of Christ. When He was all I had…I discovered He is all I need. I know, many will protest by saying BUT there are things to do.

Let me ask some questions.

If we abide in Christ and set our full attention on Him—husband, will you love your wife as Christ loved the Church? Wife, will you submit to your own husband as unto the Lord? Children will you obey your parents in the Lord? And parents will you train your children in the way they should go? Will you tell others about Jesus Christ? Will you love others? Will you have an effective prayer life? Will you possess inner joy? Will you think on things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, and of good report? Will you rejoice evermore, pray without ceasing, give thanks in everything, abstain from all appearance of evil, and hold fast to that which is good? Will you keep His commandments?

I am not suggesting we will become instantly obedient in every area of our life if we abide in Christ. I’m certainly not presenting the “heretical doctrine” that we can attain sinless perfection in every word, every thought, or every deed in our present mortal condition. But be assured that as we abide in Christ we will become cognoscente of His directives and find that our growing desire is to please Him in all we do. By faith we will enter into His joyful and peaceful rest, ceasing from our own fruitless labor.

The Holy Spirit assures that we will know the preeminence of Christ in all things. The Holy Spirit will always direct us to Christ. It’s nothing that we do; we simply receive, by faith, the truth that God desires to give us. As we saturate our mind with God’s word, we’ll begin to identify Christ in each commandment, exhortation, truth, and principle. We will discover that a fiery trial is used by the Heavenly Father to take us into a deeper and more intimate walk with Christ. And we’ll understand that loving correction from God the Father is designed to strip away self-willed behavior and turn our heart to the complete sufficiency of the Lord Jesus Christ.

So what is the Biblical antidote for abiding in Christ? Seek Christ. Walk with Him in faith. Understand that spiritual fruit is simply the manifestation of the Lord Jesus Christ and His character in your life. Think about the person of Jesus Christ and dwell on Him. Seek to know Him through the word and talk with Him in prayer. Grow in grace and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ. Ask the Heavenly Father to reveal the fulness of Jesus Christ. Ask Him earnestly for spiritual understanding and intimate knowledge of this life-changing truth. There is no particular formula or method to follow. Simply abide in Christ and seek to know Him.

We will discover that as He becomes our life focus, His purpose for our life will be clearly revealed. Jesus Christ, “Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace,” will direct us. The more Christ minded we become, the better off we will be.

Beware of the enemy, who, as a roaring lion, seeks to destroy us by taking our focus off of the Lord Jesus Christ. And remember, the subtle and sly adversary will even use “religious” activities or events to thwart our love for Christ. Keep in mind that our relationship with Jesus begins with initial salvation, continues throughout this mortal life, and ushers us into the glory of eternity.
“Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and for ever” (Hebrews 13:8).
As we know Christ personally and intimately He becomes our life and begins living through us in a practical way. He begins directing our thoughts and actions through His revealed word. Our “will” is changed. He reveals the sin we need to repent from and then gives us the power and the desire to forsake it. Our motives for the things we do become pure because it’s Jesus Christ who orchestrates our spiritual activity. We begin to understand that the Christian life is not about us and the works we do, but rather, it is about Jesus Christ and the works He does through us. Simply abide. As we abide in Him, He increases, and as Jesus increases, we decrease.

There is no need for any of us to labor or to be heavy laden with the duty of keeping spiritual rules or laws. That is not genuine Christianity. Jesus Christ gives us a life of restful liberty and freedom. As the True Vine, He produces the fruit in our lives.
“Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage” (Galatians 5:1).
Our liberty in Christ will never give us the desire to sin, but rather, the freedom to live right. Liberty gives us the freedom to live a Christ directed life. For those who may be spinning in the rut of past or present false religions, spiritual fatigue, or personal failures…the answer is still Jesus!
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-22-2009, 02:59 PM

Praise God for that post Bro. Forrest, O that Christians would learn and apply the wisdom of those words!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
I am referring to the differences between doing versus simply being. I have discovered that if we will rest, focus, and grow in the reality of what we are in Christ, the result is that we begin to spontaneously do what is right. Our being results in doing…naturally!

This truth has set me free! Do I still sin? Of course I do. Do I still experience the realities of my own mortality? Of course I do. But in Christ…I am free from all condemnation. I have been blessed with all spiritual blessings in Christ Jesus. I am complete in Him.
I have discovered this also in my own walk with Christ, over time, and what a tremendous blessing it is.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:49 PM

Default Re: " Religious Baggage"

Quote:
"Actually, I’m going to preach a little bit!"
Aloha brother Forrest,
I greatly appreciated the words of wisdom. You can "preach a little bit" any time - in "my Book"!
Quote:
1 Corinthians 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
This verse is the "proof text" nullifying psychiatric/psychological theories & speculations about the physical brain being the same as the "mind". "We have the 'mind' of Christ" - NOT His brain!
Quote:
Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
However, even though "we have the mind of Christ" - We have to "LET" His mind in, and operate within us.
Quote:
1 Peter 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
And not only do we have to "LET" His "mind be in" us, we also have to ARM OURSELVES with the "same mind". We are NOT Robots! God wants to work through us "to do of His good pleasure".
Quote:
Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
And so, if we will let Christ's mind be in us - and as you have said, if we will saturate our mind (and heart) with God's word; and if we will set our full attention on Him; and if we will abide in Him; and if we will walk in the Spirit; we will fulfill His will for our lives without having to worry about trying to please Him with the carnal works of the flesh.

He desires for our will to be His will, and he has given us the "means" to make it so, but we must be WILLING to make it so! We must be willing to say, along with our Lord and Saviour: ". . . . . nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done." [Luke 22:42]
Old 03-22-2009, 05:25 PM

Very good subject.

I don't know if I agree that those who were saved young are better off. I was saved when I was around 11 years old. I am very thankful I got saved, I have often wondered that if I hadn't gotten saved young, would my heart have hardened and I would have refused Jesus later? I will never know the answer to that, but I have wondered. So I am very thankful to God for showing great mercy to me and saving me as a young boy.

But there is a downside to it. Do you realize that probably 99% of the sins I've committed in my life, and by far the most serious sins, I committed while I was a Christian? I have been very unhappy with myself many times in my life. I have been willingly and knowingly disobedient at times. I again thank the Lord for chastising me and bringing me back several times.

So, at least those who were in a false religion, or perhaps not religious at all have an excuse, I have none. It is not so easy being saved young.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman View Post
So, at least those who were in a false religion, or perhaps not religious at all have an excuse, I have none. It is not so easy being saved young.
As a father of a nine year old boy, I'm all for getting saved young!

(As long as the belief is genuine, of course -- which is the only belief that brings salvation.)
Old 03-22-2009, 06:06 PM

Brandon

Oh, I agree with you 100%, I am for children accepting the Lord as well. All I was saying is that it is not necessarily easier for a person who is saved young. I think that when you get saved you absolutely become more sin conscious. And that is good, that is the Holy Spirit's conviction. I did not come from a religious family, I did not attend church as a teen, and none of my friends were Christians. So, I got mixed up in some things a Christian ought not too. But you know, I knew a lot of the things I was doing were not right, and this brings about unhappiness. As a young person you do not always have the maturity or control you have when you are older, and you are naturally foolish. It is part of being that age.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman View Post
I don't know if I agree that those who were saved young are better off. I was saved when I was around 11 years old. I am very thankful I got saved, I have often wondered that if I hadn't gotten saved young, would my heart have hardened and I would have refused Jesus later? I will never know the answer to that, but I have wondered. So I am very thankful to God for showing great mercy to me and saving me as a young boy.

But there is a downside to it. Do you realize that probably 99% of the sins I've committed in my life, and by far the most serious sins, I committed while I was a Christian? I have been very unhappy with myself many times in my life. I have been willingly and knowingly disobedient at times. I again thank the Lord for chastising me and bringing me back several times.

I think it generally should be easier. I really do believe that the ultimate time to be saved in ones life is as young as possible, but the Lord would have that child brought up in the "nuture and admonition of the Lord" by godly Christian parents (Ephesians 6:4), then the child would be kept from much of the junk in the world, especially in the home, as it grows up into maturity.

Last edited by Kiwi Christian; 03-22-2009 at 06:45 PM.