Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:34 PM

Default Some People Should Realize...

That the KJV isn't the only "true" translation. Words have changed in meaning since it was published (1600's) and the word's have been replaced with something that is an alternative that means THE SAME THING. I think it's good that we have different versions of the Bible, like the NASB, NKJV, AMP, etc.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-08-2008, 11:39 PM

The King James Bible is a true translation, and is to be used now as the only true one. While words have meanings that are added to them, no King James Bible word has changed or lost its meaning. In fact, no English word from 1453 has been lost, made obsolete or has actually lost its meaning.

Different words mean different things. Different modern versions contradict both themselves and other modern versions, as well as many times contradicting the King James Bible.

This is Isaiah 9:3 in the KJB, "Thou hast multiplied the nation, and not increased the joy: they joy before thee according to the joy in harvest, and as men rejoice when they divide the spoil." Notice that many other modern versions do not have the word "not", but say that God has increased the joy.

I think it is bad to have different versions, because it casts doubt on God's Word, causes confusion and is not a good witness of an all-powerful God who cannot lie.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
That the KJV isn't the only "true" translation. Words have changed in meaning since it was published (1600's) and the word's have been replaced with something that is an alternative that means THE SAME THING. I think it's good that we have different versions of the Bible, like the NASB, NKJV, AMP, etc.
Aloha Jordan,

Have you read my post outlining the "Which Bible Issue" on this Forum? You will find it at:

AV1611 Bible Forums > Bible Versions > Were The Early Fundamentalist KJV Only? > Page 7 - Post #69

If you haven't read the Post - Please do. The "issue" of "Which Bible" is far more complex than your or my "personal preference".
Quote:
I think it's good that we have different versions of the Bible, like the NASB, NKJV, AMP, etc.
Have you examined the following Issues in depth, or at all?

1. The Question: Which Bible, if any, is God's Holy word?
2. The Internal Evidence: What Does God Have to say about His word?
3. Old Testament History of the Text.
4. New Testament History of the Text.
5. The History of the Transmission of the Text of the Bible in the Church Age.
6.The Manuscript Evidence - {Hebrew, Greek. Latin, Syrian, Armenian, Georgian, Gothic, Egyptian, etc., etc.}
7.A Comparison of Versions with the King James Bible.

If you haven't, you should before you make a judgment call that will affect the rest of your Christian life. Christians are obligated (commanded) to judge "righteous judgment" [John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.] and you'll notice that we are NOT to judge according to "appearance".

What you or I "think" is of no consequence to God.

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Luke 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

God expects us to live "by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" - How can we if all of the "modern versions" differ from the King James Bible in as much as 5000 places in the New Testament alone?

All of the "modern bible versions" are based on a very few extremely corrupt manuscripts (especially in the New Testament) and the fact that most modern day Christians are ignorant of these facts and many, many more, will not excuse them at the "Judgment Seat of Christ."

If you are not familiar with this most important issue read some of the books that I recommend in my Post #69. Take your King James Bible and compare it with any modern version and see for yourself the difference between them {Go to the King James Bible Page - http://av1611.com/kjbp/ and check out "Westcott and Hort's Magic Marker Binge"; and the many articles that "Diligent" (Brandon) has posted about this subject.

Take your time - don't make any hasty judgments about the issue of "Which Bible" without examining the issue in some depth first.

[Proverbs 18:13 He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him.]

I will be happy to assist you in any way that I can in your search for the "scripture of truth" {Daniel 10:21}.

Yours for the Lord Jesus Christ and for His Holy Word,

George Anderson
Old 05-09-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post
The King James Bible is a true translation, and is to be used now as the only true one. While words have meanings that are added to them, no King James Bible word has changed or lost its meaning. In fact, no English word from 1453 has been lost, made obsolete or has actually lost its meaning.

Different words mean different things. Different modern versions contradict both themselves and other modern versions, as well as many times contradicting the King James Bible.

This is Isaiah 9:3 in the KJB, "Thou hast multiplied the nation, and not increased the joy: they joy before thee according to the joy in harvest, and as men rejoice when they divide the spoil." Notice that many other modern versions do not have the word "not", but say that God has increased the joy.

I think it is bad to have different versions, because it casts doubt on God's Word, causes confusion and is not a good witness of an all-powerful God who cannot lie.
How do you know the original translators didn't make mistakes? You don't do you?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:56 AM

Are you honestly claiming that 43 learned men who loved God, and understand the Hebrew and Greek far better than anyone alive today, made mistakes? Since every translation had to be approved by each of the 43 men, are you honestly saying that ALL 43 agreed to put mistranslations into the Bible?

If this is your best evidence, you better go hide. I hear the shotguns being loaded friend.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:31 AM

No I'm not saying that but I'm saying that they weren't the smartest people ever in the universe or anything. I'm just saying it's all God's inspired Word, why can't we all be nice?
Old 05-09-2008, 02:59 AM

Friend, I see your earnest desire to see Christians in unity of the Spirit, and we would be, if we were in unity of the word.

Can you honestly read the following in the King James Bible, and say it is the same as the New International Version?

King James
Mic 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

NIV
Mic 5:2 But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times[/B]

Jordan, are ancient times and everlasting the same thing? One is grounded in TIME, the other is ETERNITY.

And which of these is Jesus Christ from? Does he have an origin? Or has he ALWAYS EXISTED.

Friend, I think an honest inquiry into the differences between Bibles would help you to understand the real issue here. We don't like the KJB because of personal preference. We love the KJB because of conviction.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:57 AM
jerry

The difference between the KJV and other modern versions is not a changing of words having the same meaning - it is changing the meaning of the words that is the problem.

You think the Amplified Bible is good?

Here is The Amplified Bible's note on Isaiah 14:12, where they say:

Quote:
"'Light-bringer' or 'Shining one' was originally translated Lucifer, but because of the association of that name with Satan it is not now used. Some students feel that the application of the name Lucifer to Satan, in spite of the long and confident teaching to that effect, is erroneous. Lucifer, the light-bringer is the Latin equivalent of the Greek word Phosphoros, which is used as a title of Christ in II Peter 1:19 and corresponds to the name 'bright Morning Star' in Revelation 22:16, which Jesus called Himself."
Does it matter if your "Bible" translates Lucifer as the Morning Star in Isaiah 14:12, thereby equating the person who sought to exalt himself above God and who was subsequently cast out of Heaven with Jesus Christ, the Morning Star? And if that heresy wasn't obvious enough for us, often they also add cross-references referring to 2 Peter 1:19 and Revelation 22:16 so we wouldn't miss the point.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
the word's have been replaced with something that is an alternative that means THE SAME THING.
If you really believe this, you haven't spent any time comparing the KJV with the versions you listed.

Start here:

http://av1611.com/kjbp/charts/themagicmarker.html

Do you still think they all say "the same thing?"
Old 05-09-2008, 10:32 AM

I have always used the KJV and agree with those posting here.
It is sad in our day,that most churches use 2 or 3 versions while giving a sermon. When it comes to new versions, i think of it as several people sitting around a table and passing on what the first person says. By the time it gets back to the original person, the meaning, and what was said, had changed.
I was not impressed with Rick Warren and the Purpose Driven life, it seemed to take on a life of its own,people started to take it as the gospel.
How many versions did Rick use?? around 15 or more. I shouldn't have to feel ashamed for using or even bringing my KJ bible to church,but, where i go, sometimes i feel that way.
My background is Bapstist,but i am currently at a Quaker church,this is where my parents go.

If you use the KJV,you are definitely a minority, or at least it is that way in my community of about 10,000.

Don't expect me to go to these other versions, niv,nasb,lb etcc.
To me they are man inspired not God inspired!