Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Doxa

Default The Name of Jesus

I would like to ask you all something. Perhaps I really need to know what others believe on this.
Do you believe that the Name of JESUS applies to the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost? Jesus means Saviour, and I would like to know if you believe that His Name Jesus applies to the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, or only to the Son.
I noticed that many people differ on this very important viewpoint, but if you are willing, I would like to know what you all believe.
Here are some Scriptures that I see, making it obvious to me, but I do realize others have and are coming from a different perspective.
Plus, as for me, I do not think I can take one verse and forget about another; I totally believe that I must take all of Scripture and NOT cut and paste. If I see one Scripture I must take the others as well.

Matt 28:19
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
KJV

Acts 2:38-39
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
KJV

John 5:43-44
43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
KJV

John 16:23
23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.
KJV

John 14:26
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
KJV

Furthermore...in the Old Testament God made covenants with man, and a covenant was unbreakable, a Blood Covenant was so important, that if someone broke it, that person had to die.
I believe that Jesus died for us, and HE fulfilled the covenant that Moses and the people made with Him. For what Moses and his people could not keep the Law Contract/Blood Covenant perfectly, we could not either. Jesus took upon Himself the death, what we so justly deserved; HE took our place. But as the Scriptures so clearly point out...Jesus did not end the covenant but fulfilled it.
That is why the beginning of Romans 7 is so important when Paul is talking about the Law. In a marriage vow, the Law does not hold once one of the spouses die...in the same way, when we die and are reborn, we are no longer bound to the Law but are raised to new life.
But to the point, I say all that to say, God did not send someone else to die for us, God shed His Own Blood for us. It was not someone else. In Isaiah it states that God saved us with His Own Arm, not someone else's arm.
Since the Blood Covenant/Law Contract was with God and man, God took our place. What we so justly deserved, He took in our place.

Deut 5:27-29
27 Go thou near, and hear all that the LORD our God shall say: and speak thou unto us all that the LORD our God shall speak unto thee; and we will hear it, and do it.

28 And the LORD heard the voice of your words, when ye spake unto me; and the LORD said unto me, I have heard the voice of the words of this people, which they have spoken unto thee: they have well said all that they have spoken.

29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!
KJV

Ex 24:7-9
7 And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD hath said will we do, and be obedient.

8 And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD hath made with you concerning all these words.

KJV
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 09-05-2008, 09:59 PM

You quoted

"I noticed that many people differ on this very important viewpoint"

where did you take this information from, may I have an example?

You also quoted
"I would like to know if you believe that His Name Jesus applies to the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, or only to the Son"

If anyone applied the name Jesus to "only" the son, surely this would be the teaching of Jehovah's witnesses separating Jesus from the Godhead and making him just the son.

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
1st John 5:7
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

I am not sure what you are getting at in this post, I don't quite understand how you have laid the topic out, maybe that's just me.
No offence intended.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
If anyone applied the name Jesus to "only" the son, surely this would be the teaching of Jehovah's witnesses separating Jesus from the Godhead and making him just the son.
I'd just like to clarify that statement by p.o.w.
Jesus IS the Son of God! His administrative duties as God are different than the Father and the Holy Ghost, hence other titles along with the Son. Jesus is not the Father. He is not the Holy Ghost. He is also Saviour, Redeemer, Creator, Great High Priest, etc. He was always the Son, and will forever be.

1 John 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:51 AM

Debau I agree completely, I just was not sure of the context of the question Doxa was asking. I was picking the question up in regards to a deity issue where Jesus would be just the Son and not a member of the Godhead like the JW's teach.
I didnt follow the question 100% because of the way Doxa had asked, and not given the examples of how many people differ, so you can maybe see my intent on making the statement in regards to Deity.

Thanks for making my statement clearer, I really should have communicated that better myself.

God Bless
Old 09-06-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxa View Post
I would like to ask you all something. Do you believe that the Name of JESUS applies to the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost?

KJV
The name Jesus applies to the precious and powerful name Jesus. God the Father is God the Father. God the Son is God the Son. And God the Holy Spirit is God the Holy Spirit. And yet, the Godhead is perfectly one.

The Scripture is clear and direct.

"Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works" (John 14:8-10).

"My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one" (John 10:29-30).

If we truly have a desire to possess knowledge of God, it is acquired in and through the Lord Jesus Christ.

"In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell; And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven" (Colossians 1:14-20).

"For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:" (Colossians 2:9-10).

We lack NOTHING when we have Jesus Christ.

"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth" (Matthew 28:18).

Let us therefore, "...grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen" (2 Peter 3:18).

Jesus Christ is not prominent, He is preeminent.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Doxa

Default The truth

Please do not judge me...I am NOT JW!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, I came from a truly and I am not kidding "radical" Trinity church.
We had a meeting even, for those that would pray with people at the altar, and this particular meeting was held for "my" benefit...and we were literally told in that meeting that we could no longer pray to Jesus at the altar with people, but we had to direct our prayers to the Father.
As you can imagine, I saw this man's life (who said this) go down the tubes.
But maybe that was the sad highlight of this experience at this church, but there were other leaders in the church that definitely believed in three Gods in Heaven, that the Spirit in us was not the Spirit of Jesus, and anyway, just plain radical views of the Trinity.

Funny, I am ever finding out (I was saved in a Baptist church) that Baptists do not deny the deity of Jesus or make HIM less than WHO is was, is, and everything! But they actually use the Trinity to elevate JESUS, not make Him sound like He was the Second Person of the Trinity to carry out God's Work, but HE was God HIMSELF Who died for us!!!!!!!
This might all sound strange, but I know what I am talking about here and what this church believed, and it tore me up.
They would worship Jesus, sing songs about Jesus, but they would not pray to Jesus.
John 14:14 was definitely not in their Bible.
They had a huge poster with Names of Jesus on a wall, and it used most of the Names of Jesus found in Isaiah 9:6, but not Everlasting Father! And actually, I don't see that very much in any Name book of Jesus--funny how that is cleverly omitted much of the time.

I almost feel sometimes when someone talks about the Trinity, I feel like it is a trick question.
Is that not sad?

I can only conclude that if the Trinity elevates Who Jesus is, I am for it.

But if it is used to downplay Jesus, I am not for it.

It is as simple as that.

Hence, my curious question. Not one of you have answered, so I must have asked a question that brought fear.
That saddens me too.

When I compare Matthew 28:19 and Acts 2:38, I find that Name to be Jesus.

When I compare John 2:19-21 and Gal 1:1, I find that Name to be Jesus.

Don't you?

Or not?

Love in Jesus' Name.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debau View Post
I'd just like to clarify that statement by p.o.w.
Jesus IS the Son of God! His administrative duties as God are different than the Father and the Holy Ghost, hence other titles along with the Son. Jesus is not the Father. He is not the Holy Ghost. He is also Saviour, Redeemer, Creator, Great High Priest, etc. He was always the Son, and will forever be.

1 John 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
Doxa, Debau answered your question in his post.
I was never insinuating that you were JW, God Forbid, but that their teaching is wrested by claiming Jesus as just the Son and not a member of the Godhead.

"He Saves"
John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:30 AM

"His name should be exalted above any other name"
Psalm 34:3
O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together.
Isaiah 42:8
I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images
Revelation 19:13
And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his NAME is called The Word of God
Phillipians 2:10
That at the name of JESUS every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth
Ephesians 5:20
Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Jesus is omnipresent (all present), omnipotent (all powerful) and omniscient (all knowing).
Below is a selection of the number of ommissions from modern versions, pay particular attention to the names. (NIV used for referance)

Christ omitted 25 times
Lord omitted 352 times
Jesus added 292
God omitted 468 times
Godhead completely ommited
Lucifer completely ommited
devil(s) omitted 80 times
hell omitted 40times
heaven omitted 160 times
damned (able, ation) completely omitted
blood omitted 41 times
salvation omitted 42 times
Word of God omitted 8 times
Word of the Lord omitted 25 times
Lord Jesus Christ omitted 24 times
Old 09-07-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxa View Post
...but there were other leaders in the church that definitely believed in three Gods in Heaven, that the Spirit in us was not the Spirit of Jesus, and anyway, just plain radical views of the Trinity.

Hence, my curious question. Not one of you have answered, so I must have asked a question that brought fear.
That saddens me too.

When I compare Matthew 28:19 and Acts 2:38, I find that Name to be Jesus.

When I compare John 2:19-21 and Gal 1:1, I find that Name to be Jesus.

Don't you?

Or not?

Love in Jesus' Name.
No, I do not believe Matthew 28:19 refers exclusively and only to the name Jesus. I believe the name of the one God (not three gods), is clearly identified in this verse:

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:" (Matthew 28:19).

I believe Acts 2:38 refers specifically to God the Son [Jesus Christ] and God the Holy Ghost.

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost" (Acts 2:38).

I believe John 2:19-21 refers to God the Son [Jesus Christ].

"Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? But he spake of the temple of his body.

Finally, in Galatians 1:1, I believe it specifically refers to God the Son [Jesus Christ] and God the Father.

"Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead)" (Galatians 1:1).

Scripture bears record in sundry places that God the Father, God the Son [Jesus Christ], and God the Holy Spirit are three distinct Persons of the Godhead but only ONE God. Not three separate gods.

Personally, I see the recurring theme in Scripture, that God the Father and God the Holy Spirit, faithfully direct us to, and exalt, the Person of the Lord Jesus Christ. In no way does this "exclude", "ignore", or "leave out" the specific work of the Father and Holy Spirit.

I use to sense a need in my own life, to give "equal time" and thought to God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. In the last seven years or so, I have actually come to understand the great power and blessing that as I "know" God the Son [Jesus Christ], intimately, I know God the Father and God the Holy Spirit.

Doxa, there is no offense taken in any of your comments. You did not ask a question that brought any fear. I hope this answered your question.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:05 PM

Colossians 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

Colossians 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

I think these verses clarify the question and may not need any further clarification.

Last edited by Biblestudent; 09-07-2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: grammar