Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2009, 05:05 PM

Default Faith "Of" against Faith "In"

Just a quick reference here Brethren to 2 passages of scripture and the implications of changing "one" small word, that completely changes the doctrinal stance between the KJB and the niv.

Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Reading over this I know that I certainly wasn't justified of my own faith, my faith cant, nor couldn't save me, but Christs faith could! It was Christ's faith that led him Calvary to the Cross, it was Christ's faith that kept him on the Cross to die for this wretched sinner! And we are justified by that faith.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

If I were to ask, and indeed if any of us were to ask a new Christian or indeed some who have been saved a while "What saved you?" Many will reply
"My faith in Jesus Christ and what he did at Calvary" of course I wouldn't hold that statement against their testimony but its isn't quite right

..even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law

Certainly we have faith in Jesus Christ and his finished work at Calvary, but IT WAS NOT our faith that saved us, it was Christ's! If we were to take our faith as to what justified us, then we would trust in ourselves and our faith for justification, and that's just not so

Now the reason for the post. Gal 2:16 in the niv reads as follows

Galatians 2:16 (New International Version)
know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.

CAN YOU SEE! how this simple change of 1 small two letter word can make such a massive impact on salvation, in the KJB knowing that we are no more justified by our faith than a cabbage is justified because its green, but we are justified by Christ's Faith gives us the powerful message that our salvation belongs to The Lord Jesus Christ and it cannot be lost, not only are we justified by his faith, we live by his faith.

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for
me.

The NIV again changes the "Of" to "In"

Galatians 2:20 (New International Version)
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Oh My Lord and Saviour, what have they done! they have taken your faith and made it their own.

Bringing this to light for several reasons

1. When you realize that it was not your faith but Christ's faith this should give you assurance of both your salvation and your security in your salvation. No more do you have to doubt your salvation because you didn't have enough faith to believe, for your faith had nothing to do with your justification. One would think that Christs faith was good enough for the work of justification.

2. For those Bible correctors who claim translations don't affect words that change doctrine, the small changes here can mean heaven or hell if anyone is trusting in their faith for justification and not Christ's.

3. That My Brothers and Sisters no longer doubt and have assurance of their salvation, and that we as Bible believers can see the vast difference a single two letter word can place on a believer, many modern version readers are relying on their faith, claiming that salvation can be lost or doubting it through lack of their own faith, through passages as quoted above if faith isn't kept, but they are trying to keep their own faith, not rest in Christs!

Finding this small difference certainly has edified me and I can now rest in Christs faith and in confidence in the Book I hold In my hand, I pray that you can too.