Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-17-2008, 06:44 PM
stephanos's Avatar
stephanos stephanos is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wenatchee WA
Posts: 885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwgreene View Post
I personally prefer the Reformation Study Bible published by Ligonier Ministries and/or the Evidence Bible published by Living Waters. Also, I use the Ryrie Study Bible as well. I find each one helps my ministry.
Prefer over what? The Ruckman Reference Bible isn't even out yet. Personally I prefer to keep my study material seperate from the Word of God. I won't be using the Ruckman Reference Bible as much as I use my Cambridge Bible, but will certainly love to read what Dr. Ruckman has to say in this new Bible. Brother Peter sure knows the Scriptures quite well, and I think anyone can benefit from what he has to say.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
  #12  
Old 09-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Luke's Avatar
Luke Luke is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwgreene View Post
I personally prefer the Reformation Study Bible published by Ligonier Ministries and/or the Evidence Bible published by Living Waters. Also, I use the Ryrie Study Bible as well. I find each one helps my ministry.
Well, that's one of the biggest mix ups I've ever seen :P

Reformed Theology + Lordship Salvation + Free Grace Dispensationalism

How do you know which commentary is right brother?
  #13  
Old 09-17-2008, 11:44 PM
stephanos's Avatar
stephanos stephanos is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wenatchee WA
Posts: 885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Well, that's one of the biggest mix ups I've ever seen :P

Reformed Theology + Lordship Salvation + Free Grace Dispensationalism

How do you know which commentary is right brother?
Just out of curiousity brother Luke, where did you hear about these Bibles? I'm always curious where so many strong KJB believers keep up on things. I want to stay current as well, so I too can warn people about such things.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
  #14  
Old 09-18-2008, 12:55 AM
atlas's Avatar
atlas atlas is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 463
Default

Eric,


http://www.evidencebible.com/

Quote:
Welcome to "The Evidence Bible Online." The Evidence Bible is commended by Josh McDowell, Dr. D. James Kennedy and Franklin Graham, and was a finalist in the 2002 Gold Medallion Book Awards.
Tell us why this Bible with notes by apostates is so wonderful? You must be kidding or something. Why would I want any Bible that has notes from Dr. D. James Kennedy.

http://www.coralridge.org/default.aspx

So you are anti Ruckman and pro Dr. D. James Kennedy.

Do you mind if I ask you what you think of Dr. Ian Paisley?


Also does the Reformation Study Bible even come in KJV? I can not even find a Reformation Study Bible, KJV online. All I can find is an ESV or NKJV.

I will agree with you one the Ryrie Study Bible, KJV. It is a very good study Bible. I have had one for about five years and other than a Scofield Study Bible, I'd say it is the best on the market. Well that is until the Ruckman Study Bible comes out. I would gladly recommend the Ryrie Study Bible, KJV to anyone. It is a verd study Bible. Everyone should own a Ryrie Study Bible. I also have Thompson Chain ok for a few things.

The Common Man's Reference Bible also one of the best study Bibles on the market. I have yet to see it correct the KJV. IT has some good notes and is also worth buying.


http://www.purewordsoftruth.com



Atlas
  #15  
Old 09-18-2008, 03:28 AM
George's Avatar
George George is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Posts: 891
Default Re: EricWGreene's comments (3 Posts)

Aloha Eric,

I find it "instructive" that you joined this Forum on 09/17/08 and have made three Posts (all on 09/17/08-see below), the first which takes the Scripture out of "context" and presumes to know our motives; the second where you "malign" a fellow Christian brother in Christ; and the third where you give us your personal "preferences" for three different "Authorities" that you "prefer" to guide you in your "studies".

Is Bible College/Institute necessary?

Your quote:
Quote:
Throughout the scriptures the usefulness of teachers and the requirement of ministers to be able to teach is made plain. Therefore, it would be safe to assume that ministers are to teach somebody nor merely teach empty seats. If God saw no benefit in the saints learning from gifted teachers why spend so much time on the topic of teaching in the scriptures? Secondly, consider Proverbs 11:14:

Where no counsel [is], the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors [there is] safety.

Are not the written works of those whom the Holy Spirit has guided in past beneficial to us today? Is there not safety in Biblical interpretation when we compare our interpretations with those who have come before us?

Unfortunately, all of us have proceeded with the same ignorance that we will read the scriptures as God intended without preconceived assumptions. Therefore we errantly conclude that all those who came before us must have had an agenda. We make these judgments assuming that we are a capable final judge on the motives of those who studied before us. Granted there are right and wrong interpretations, but we must be careful that we do not hold ourselves above others in such a prideful and arrogant manner.
Your comments betray your biases - in favor of a smug "intellectual" and "academic" approach to Bible study that is contrary to the Biblical command concerning how we are to study. There is nothing in 2 Timothy 2:15 or in 1 John 2:20-21, 27; or in 1 Corinthians - the entire Chapter 2 that indicates that we "need" a "teacher" or "commentator" in order to receive spiritual understanding from God.

When you study the Bible it is NOT "safe to assume" ANYTHING! Especially that those Christians that came before, us who may have been intellectually and academically "inclined", and who possibly might have been seeking positions of "authority" within the body of Christ, had anymore spiritual discernment than those of us who are on this forum who are not well known or "published".

To assume that Christians that have written books have received an "unction" from God that we don't have is fallacious and self deceiving.

Your application of Proverbs 11:14 is "faulty". The verse is not referring to teachers of the Holy Scriptures, it's referring to "counsellers" [Proverbs 11:14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellers there is safety.] Do you see the word teachers in the verse? Is there anything in the verse that indicates a "need" for teachers? Where is there any reference to the word of God or Scripture? Hmmm? The verse is in reference to "FALLING" and "SAFETY". No counsel = "falling" (NOT - failing to understand God's word!). A multitude of counsellers = "safety" (NOT safety in the numbers of "commentators" - But SAFETY!)

Had you searched the Scriptures, instead of relying on the "commentators", you would have found what kind of "safety" was being spoken of: [Proverbs 24:6 For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war: and in multitude of counsellers there is safety.] The "safety spoken about is "SAFETY" in WAR; SAFETY from ENEMIES! NOT "safety" in a multitude of Bible "teachers" or "commentators"! Please notice - I didn't need any teacher or commentator to show me this truth. All that I needed was the Holy word of God (One "Authorized" Holy Bible - NOT three "preferred authorities" ) and the Holy Spirit, who lives inside of me, and in all born again Christians.

When you talk about Bible "interpretation" and "our interpretations" and the "interpretations" of those who came before us, you are treading on "dangerous ground". Are you not aware [2 Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that
no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.] that we are not to "privately interpret" the scriptures?

You talk about: "
all of us have proceeded with the same ignorance that we will read the scriptures as God intended without preconceived assumptions." And you yourself have jumped to an "assumption" that "all of us" think like you!

Again you say: "Therefore we errantly conclude that all those who came before us must have had an agenda. We make these judgments assuming that we are a capable final judge on the motives of those who studied before us.
" Speak for yourself - we don't all think alike, or like you. Once again you "presume" to know our motives or thoughts when it comes to the "commentators", when many of us do not judge them at all. To be honest - I'm not so concerned with the motives of dead commentators, I'm more concerned with people today ("preachers", "teachers", "commentators", et al.) who pervert the Holy words of God in the "here and now".

Because I choose NOT "rely" on the "commentators" for spiritual discernment am I guilty of pride and arrogance? You said: "we must be careful that we do not hold ourselves above others in such a prideful and arrogant manner." Just because some of us on this Forum don't "rely" on others (from the past or the present) for discernment, understanding, and wisdom, doesn't make us proud or arrogant, and you certainly are mistaken in your judgment if you judge us so.

You come on this Forum and in a"clever" off-hand manner you accuse us of "ignorance"; of holding "preconceived assumptions"; of "error"; of "wrong interpretations"; "pride"; and "arrogance"; and then you have the "gall" to malign and cast dispersions on a brother in Christ who has labored for the Lord Jesus Christ, probably longer than you have been alive, and you expect us to be civil with you? Or to welcome you with open arms?

Peter S. Ruckman's work

Your quote:
Quote:
I would encourage you to avoid Peter Ruckman's works. Some good alternatives would be Charles Spurgeon, Samuel Waldron, Fred Malone, Tom Nettles, and Mark Dever. I have found all of their works to be extremely beneficial and Biblical. It is not the mark of a Christian to be "crude and sometimes offensive" as mentioned by Chette777. Christians stand for truth, not behave themselves badly.
Before you say another word about brother Peter Ruckman, you should read some of the 278 Posts > under the "Chit-Chat" Section of this Forum > under the heading "Dr. Ruckman before you bad mouth someone who, you obviously know little about. You have demonstrated a proclivity to unjustly judge a fellow brother in Christ who has devoted his entire life and ministry for nearly 60 years to upholding the word (words) of God.
[Romans 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.]

You've got a lot to learn about Christian conduct. Just because a man speaks plainly and strongly criticizes anyone who messes with the Holy words of God, doesn't mean that he is "behaving themselves badly". This is Humanistic thinking and reasoning. But on the other hand you have come on this Forum and insulted all of us, but because you used "good words and fair speeches" and not "crude" or harsh language, you think that you have been sweet and lovely - not so!

Ruckman Reference Bible

Your quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwgreene View Post
I personally prefer the Reformation Study Bible published by Ligonier Ministries and/or the Evidence Bible published by Living Waters. Also, I use the Ryrie Study Bible as well. I find each one helps my ministry.
It must be "wonderful" to be able to CHOOSE between so many "Authorities"! That way, instead of relying on the Holy words of God and the Holy Spirit, you can rely on your own intellect and "preferences" (for "light"?).

When a person comes on this Forum and in the first day they post 3 Posts that are clearly meant to cast aspersions, insult, and denigrate (all without using "harsh" or "crude" language - of course ) those of us on this Forum and brother Peter Ruckman - it raises the question: Is this person here to EDIFY, or has he come to impress us with his "knowledge" and "expertise" and to debate and divide? Time will tell - It always does.

Oh, by the way - welcome to the Forum.
  #16  
Old 09-18-2008, 07:23 AM
peopleoftheway peopleoftheway is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwgreene View Post
I personally prefer the Reformation Study Bible published by Ligonier Ministries and/or the Evidence Bible published by Living Waters. Also, I use the Ryrie Study Bible as well. I find each one helps my ministry.
Isn't the evidence bible by Ray Comfort? That's enough info for me to avoid that one, Lordship Salvation makes me sick to my stomach, literally.
I don't know a lot about all these other teachers / preachers but I do know that the Words in My Bible are from the LORD Jesus Christ
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
and he told me through those words that If I studied [2 Tim 2:15] under the guidance of the Holy Spirit which was promised to me , He would lead me into all truth!
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Ohhh how little the greatest teacher there has ever been and ever will be is overlooked!
  #17  
Old 09-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Brother Tim's Avatar
Brother Tim Brother Tim is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 864
Default

PeopleoftheWay, I wholeheartedly agree with you. The best "study" Bible is one that requires you to read the Scriptures, rather than jump to the explanation by a man just below the text. Well-meaning or not, accurate in their interpretation or not, the notes printed within the covers of a Bible cause less prayerful study by oneself and more reliance on someone else for the understanding of the Word.
  #18  
Old 09-18-2008, 01:27 PM
peopleoftheway peopleoftheway is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 645
Default

http://www.ericwgreene.com/

site speaks for itself, promotion of Lordship salvation.

Ed.
Indeed Tim, A great brother told me recently that its best to avoid those who are of celebrity status and those that run into intellect to hoodwink Christians into thinking they are "authority".
Every day by the grace of God I learn more through prayerful study and if I have a question I will first ask ALMIGHTY GOD! before anyone else!
Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
I have no dispute that God raised up Pastors and teachers [Eph 4:11,12], but let me tell you this, I have learned more from those who remain meek and humble themselves before God, not seeking fame nor fortune but seeking truth in God's written Word, for Christ himself made himself of no reputation.
Philippians 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

The kind of logic that puts men in "authority" over the brethren is to slide back in time to BEFORE the common man had the Bible in his hand to read himself. For this was God's plan for the KJB to give the "common man" His Glorious written word in english so they would NOT have to rely on "authority" to understand the Word Of God!

Last edited by peopleoftheway; 09-18-2008 at 01:47 PM.
  #19  
Old 09-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Luke's Avatar
Luke Luke is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
Just out of curiousity brother Luke, where did you hear about these Bibles? I'm always curious where so many strong KJB believers keep up on things. I want to stay current as well, so I too can warn people about such things.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Hey Stephen,

There are a few places I tend to read

www.jesus-is-savior.com/recent_articles.htm

Not all of them are the best, but David Stewart does do a lot of research. This tends to be where I get a lot of info on false teachers from

www.wayoflife.org

Not the biggest fan of David Cloud, but he is pretty much always on the money with false teachers. He has an aversion to Dr Ruckman and Riplinger though, but his ministry was instrumental in me believing the KJB.

I also read several free grace blogs

indefenseofthegospel.blogspot.com

This is lou martinueacs blog. He wrote a book on Lordship Salvation, and he is a good guy. Emailed him several times.

www.av1611.org

Not updated so much anymore, but for information on Bible versions, it's probably the best. Also good stuff on rock music, but the articles are a bit outdated (Amy Grant, Stryper and stuff.. not really too current).

So yeah, I just tend to read.. too much at times. Which causes confusion.

God bless
  #20  
Old 09-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Luke's Avatar
Luke Luke is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 594
Default

The Evidence Bible -

I owned one, so I can testify that this is actually what is written in it as the commentary for Matthew 7:21-23

"These are perhaps the most frightening verses in the Bible. Vast multitudes of professing Christians fit into the category spoken of here. They call Jesus 'Lord,' but they practice lawlessness. They profess faith in Jesus, but have no regard for the divine law. They tell 'fibs' or 'white' lies, take things that belong to others, have a roaming eye for the opposite sex, etc. They are liars, thieves, and adulterers at heart, who will be cast from the gates of heaven into the jaws of hell."

Basically, in order for Jesus to know you and not cast you into hell, you have to be sinlessly perfect.

What any Christian is doing being judged at the judgment of the nations I have no idea, but Comfort doesn't rightly divide.

Having said that, there are literally HUNDREDS of REALLY GOOD notes in the evidence Bible, but stuff like this just makes it a waste and is poison amongst the good stuff.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Website © AV1611.Com.
Posts represent only the opinions of users of this forum and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the webmaster.

Software for Believing Bible Study

 
Contact Us AV1611.Com