Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:56 PM
sting of truth

bibleprotector, the thing is i won't be able to examine the texts because i'll be ordering over the internet. all i'll know is that i am ordering a cambridge bran kjv. i just don't know which one is the best
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-26-2008, 09:57 PM
sting of truth

forgot to sk you if you could reccomend a few different types of kjv's published by cambridge.. if you could just provide the isbn numbers i'd be greatful
Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 PM

As far as I can tell, Cambridge are not publishing the pure text any more.

The Cambridge Standard Text Edition has problems like lower case "spirit of God" in Genesis 1:2.

Here are some of the impure renderings of the Concord Cambridge: impure first, Pure Cambridge Edition second.

I have only listed one of each type of example, but there are more.

Genesis 24:57 — — enquire — — inquire (etc. etc.)
These have a possible different meaning.
Exodus 23:23 — — the Hivites — — and the Hivites
This is an English textual issue.
Numbers 6:5 — — razor — — rasor (etc. etc.)
These are spelling differences.
2 Samuel 18:29 — — Is the — — Is the (“Is” is in italics).
This is an italics difference.
Ezra 2:26 — — Gaba — — Geba
This is a spelling difference.
Ezra 6:4 — — expenses — — expences (etc.)
Isaiah 9:6 — — Counsellor — — Counseller (etc. etc.)
These are spelling differences, but here the name of God is changed.
Jeremiah 32:5 — — prosper. — — prosper?
This is improper grammar.
Ezekiel 47:3 — — ankles — — ancles (etc.)
Mark 2:1 — — Capernaum after — — Capernaum, after
This is a grammatical point.
Acts 11:12 — — Spirit — — spirit
This is a doctrinal issue.
Acts 11:28 — — Spirit — — spirit
Romans 4:18 — — nations, according — — nations; according
This is a grammatical point.
1 Corinthians 15:27 — — saith all — — saith, all
This is improper grammar.
1 John 5:8 — — Spirit — — spirit
Old 02-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting of truth View Post
bibleprotector, the thing is i won't be able to examine the texts because i'll be ordering over the internet. all i'll know is that i am ordering a cambridge bran kjv. i just don't know which one is the best
The three different Cambridge Bibles I currently have listed on http://av1611.com/kjbp/books.html line up with the circa 1900 text except for 1Jo 5:7.

The interesting thing is, the hardcover large print KJ80 text used to have the circa 1900 1Jo 5:7 reading (spirit), (as does every Cambridge Bible and Collins Bible I have found printed between 1900 and 1980). But at some point in the 80s, they changed that one reading to Spirit but kept the ISBN number the same.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
1Jo 5:7
Meaning: 1 John 5:8
Old 02-26-2008, 10:39 PM
sting of truth

now i'm thinking about approaching a publishing company and asking them to print up some of the bibles with the text available from bible protector's website, or maybe putting it on a disk and having kinko's or someone print some up for me, maybe i can get them to do it in gen u ine leather too.. it'll be costly, but maybe, just maybe i can find a place that'll do it for me.. but i really am prolly just going to keep on with my thompson chain, i love the references in that bible, i already took a pen and put some of the corrections in the margin.. thats why i wanted a list of every variant, so i could go through and fix the whole dad gum thing..
Old 02-26-2008, 10:50 PM

Sadly, there is no end of variants.

But we have one true Bible, and one central presentation which we can regard as standard.

I would to God (to quote Erasmus) that we all were using the Pure Cambridge Edition, and I am glad to see that Brandon Staggs is now presenting it. The Scripture says, "The Lord gave the word: great was the company of those that published it." (Psalm 68:11). We are in "great company", praise God.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:06 PM
sting of truth

if i ever go through with my printing endeavor i'll let you know, i'm planning on a waterproof one to take when i go in the outdoors, fishing, camping, and the sort. who knows maybe one of these days i'll start up a bible printing company of my own [one of my dreams] and get my own Christian bookstore [another dream of mine] and make it readily available to all in all kinds of bindings and with all sorts of study bibles and such
Old 02-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post
Meaning: 1 John 5:8
Yes, thank you.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
The three different Cambridge Bibles I currently have listed on http://av1611.com/kjbp/books.html line up with the circa 1900 text except for 1Jo 5:7.

The interesting thing is, the hardcover large print KJ80 text used to have the circa 1900 1Jo 5:7 reading (spirit), (as does every Cambridge Bible and Collins Bible I have found printed between 1900 and 1980). But at some point in the 80s, they changed that one reading to Spirit but kept the ISBN number the same.
I currently have this Bible. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521164389 hopefully this is a good one? I'm not sure how I would know? This is all quite confusing to me.

and would like to add the Interleaved Bible HAND BOUND NOTE BIBLE on the bottom of this site. http://www.pilkingtonandsons.com/interleavedbibles.htm it's out of stock right now. I would like to use this Bible for note taking, (if anyone else has any other suggestions that would be great)

Any way the Interleaved Bible Hand Bound says this: "Cambridge King James Version Text" and that's it. How do we know which Cambridge text it would be. Do you think it would be the same as the one I currently have?

Last edited by Beth; 02-27-2008 at 06:57 PM.